Lenovo Ideapad 5

Soldato
Please can you provide feedback once you've gamed on it? I'm toying with getting one of these as a general use and light gaming laptop. Which cpu did you choose?
I've got the 4700... So far I've only played Slay the Spire and Football Manager, so it's great for them but they're not exactly intense. I'll try something else later!

Soldato
Hey folks, I'm looking at ordering one of these for my girlfriend for doing basic word processing things like presentations, Excel stuff, PF documents, Streaming and web browsing. I'll be getting the 14" version due to her originally wanting something like the Surface Go.

Is it worth me paying the extra for the 6 core 4500U as that requires the larger size HDD?

Soldato
My 4800U 15" is great after a couple of weeks with it. I still think the 14" is better overall but that wasn't available at the time. If buying now I think the 14" has some real benefits (can get all metal build, trackpad isn't off centre, has a second M2 slot).

I've put some of my thoughts in the 2nd post but if there's anything specific you want to know let me know. I've used it for Lightroom (CPU power is so impressive) and for some light gaming (Civ 6 runs like a dream). For more graphics heavy games the lack of GPU horsepower is evident and it gets a bit noisey.

Latest BIOS seems to have toned down the over aggressive fan curve which is good, means that Lenovo is acting quickly to sort issues.

My 4800U 15" is great after a couple of weeks with it. I still think the 14" is better overall but that wasn't available at the time. If buying now I think the 14" has some real benefits (can get all metal build, trackpad isn't off centre, has a second M2 slot).

I've put some of my thoughts in the 2nd post but if there's anything specific you want to know let me know. I've used it for Lightroom (CPU power is so impressive) and for some light gaming (Civ 6 runs like a dream). For more graphics heavy games the lack of GPU horsepower is evident and it gets a bit noisey.

Latest BIOS seems to have toned down the over aggressive fan curve which is good, means that Lenovo is acting quickly to sort issues.

I've got the 4700... So far I've only played Slay the Spire and Football Manager, so it's great for them but they're not exactly intense. I'll try something else later!

Thanks both. Games that will mainly be played will be CS go, Dota, civ 6 and Sims 4 (for her :rolleyes:) maybe try Warhammer total war too but I wouldn't expect that to run well.

I was thinking of going for the 4600u but seems like it's only another £40 for the 4700u processor? I'm always a sucker for an upsale :o

Soldato
If all you're literally doing is basic tasks then the base processor is sufficient (as usual)

Thats what I figured and ordered one yesterday with the 4300U and 8GB RAM for pretty much bang on £400. I'm sure it will be more than enough for her needs. Looking at YouTube videos, It seems quite a powerful little chip.

Associate
@Minstadave I saw you got one from HUKD website

How do you find it?
Temps?
Build quality?
Did you get the metallic version with the 100% sRGB screen?

(obvs looking to get one too)

Happy for opinions if anyone else got one too... :)

Can somebody point me to the post on HukD? It might be the offer has expired, but when I try the prices are £600+, even with the student discount.

Associate
Hoping for an unbiased response here.

As mentioned I've just sold my Surface Pro 6. I ventured to PC World to see some Lenovos in the flesh before I buy blind. Granted they had no Ideapad 5 but one thing stood out massively: comparing screen quality of a Microsoft Surface Laptop 3 against Dell and Lenovo options was night and day. The Surface just seemed so much more sharper and vivid.

I seem to have now instead sold myself on getting a Surface Laptop, knowing fine well I'm paying more for less (in the way of spec) but getting a more premium piece of hardware. I cant seem to find the actual technicalities of the screen on offer on the Surface Laptop 3 to compare directly to Dell and Lenovo offerings. Is there anything comparable as a 'premium' piece of hardware to the Surface Laptop?

I know this may be divisive.

Man of Honour
OP
It doesnt look like you can stack vouchers any more.. So no 19% discount available.
It ain't voucher stacking (though granted I haven't been back to the website to try)
You login to the student/corporate portal = automatic 10% discount, and then you can use the 10% newsletter voucher

Man of Honour
OP
@oHUTCHYo depends on which screen was specced on the laptop you saw at PCW.
There are 3 screen options on the ideapad
TN 250 nit 65% sRGB
IPS 250 nit 65%sRGB
IPS 300 nit 100% sRGB

Associate
It ain't voucher stacking (though granted I haven't been back to the website to try)
You login to the student/corporate portal = automatic 10% discount, and then you can use the 10% newsletter voucher

I have done this, got the 10% student discount, but it wont accept the 10% newsletter discount they sent me for some reason.

Man of Honour
OP
I have done this, got the 10% student discount, but it wont accept the 10% newsletter discount they sent me for some reason.
ah that sucks :(
maybe try to sub to the newsletter again with another email address and use a different code?

Associate
@oHUTCHYo depends on which screen was specced on the laptop you saw at PCW.
There are 3 screen options on the ideapad
TN 250 nit 65% sRGB
IPS 250 nit 65%sRGB
IPS 300 nit 100% sRGB

Thanks Tamzzy, all I can find is:

The Surface Laptop 3 emits up to 380 nits of brightness, which makes it bright enough to leap over the 346-nit laptop average and the 1080p version of the ThinkPad X1 Carbon (336 nits) — but not other panels

I may yet hold on until October as logic suggests the Surface Laptop 4 will boast Ryzen on the 13/14" range.

Man of Honour
OP
Have any of you guys opened your laptop up yet? I ordered mine with the 2280 SSD, wondering about adding a 2242 SSD to it as well - is there a slot?
Mine isn't due to ship until 31st August lol.
From what I can see on YouTube, it should have both a 2242 slot and a 2280 slot.
Ps why do you need to fill both? 512gb not enough?

Back
Top Bottom