Lenovo Legion 5 Pro

Associate
Never having owned a gaming laptop before, i'm wondering if the temps i am seeing are 'normal'

I have 'core temp monitor' running on a tablet and reading the temps of the CPU remotely,
when playing 'train simulator 2022' 1 core will go upto 97 degrees C, then that core will seem to flip with another one, and it's temp will go down to the 80's, but the other core will then go to 97, then they will swap, over and over.

The other cores are in the 80's, even ones not doing anything (latent heat i guess), the GPU will hover about 75 to 85 degrees (using 'trigone system monitor' to read the GPU temps, as core temp can't read the GPU, and trigone remote system monitor can't read the CPU temps... yet)

Of course the fans are running full pelt, does the same if i have it in auto or power mode, obviously it'll drop the temps in quiet mode, with a drop in fps etc.

i have the laptop on an overbed table, after a week of worrying about the heat, i drilled 4 x 65mm holes in the table top directly below the underside vents where is sucks air in from,
This has helped lower the GPU temps by a good 10 degrees but not the CPU temps.

i deffo don't need any heating on in my room now i have this laptop, it's gonna be hell in summer tho.

Soldato
Mine was the same it ran up to temp then thermal throttled swapped cores temps dropped then it did it again. Fans were crazy loud under load. I returned it as it was way to loud for me. The cooling solution just could not cope with the CPU under load.

I’m now using a Legion 5 AMD non Pro and tbh it’s great does all I want and is far quieter. The CPU has not throttled and barely reaches 80c even under heavy load. It does not have the raw performance of 5 pro but it’s a much nicer user experience and is still a very capable machine. It was also half the price…..lol

Last edited:
Soldato
Has anyone tried the legion 5 (not sure if it's a pro, possibly not) that comes equipped with a 6600M? I've just won one of these in a competition.

Soldato
I don't think I've any of these issues with our AMD 5 or AMD 5 Pro units.

That's said we don't do video editing and kinda expected a gaming laptop to have bad battery gaming. I get about 4~5hrs using it for office work on battery. Seems about right.

If I wanted a mobile video editing maching I could buy a M1 MacBook Air as well and have the best of both and still have spend less than that XPS or MacBook Pro. The MAC can't game though.

But I don't edit video or sit in coffee shops playing games. Non issue for me . It's not my only laptop either. I've smaller lighter laptops in the house if I needed to go that.

Last edited:
Soldato
Received my Legion 5 Pro 3070 Ti today, very happy.

Minimal light bleed, no trackpad rattle, zero coil whine, no dead pixels.

Battery life isn't great, as I expected, but this will spend 99% of its life in house, so not a problem.

Very nice, very powerful machine, with a beautiful screen.

Associate
Hi

Is this any good for £720.00? I’m guessing only need to upgrade the RAM. I’m sure I have read the AMD’s are better?

Lenovo Legion 5i Gen 6 (15" Intel) - i5-11400H, RTX 3060, 8GB, 512GB SSD

Back
Top Bottom