*** 'Let's Meet At Our Place' Event : 12th September 2017 ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Hoping to not get sucked into the hype and end up ordering this Friday...

I'm the first one to bleat on about how much I hated the larger 6/6S form factor trading it in for an SE was the best purchase I've made phone wise in recent times, but even I'm having troubles not staving the hype off :(

I wouldn't mind a cracked screen just so people are all "Oh you got the new... what?"

Soldato
So does anyone think Apple are actually going to bring anything new to the table, and by new I mean, new. Not OLED screen that have been around since forever ago, and are in £100 Chinese phones, or wireless charging that has been around since forever ago, or facial login features. I mean something NEW! and exciting, and just a bit special, something really makes it stand out from the crowd, especially on the flagship Model X. I don't want to hear them having courage to make the battery smaller, 'cause the screen uses less power :p Or I don't want a round of applause for it having become 0.015mm thinner, nor a standing ovation for the new iOS 11 features, that have been out since beta, and we all know what they are.

I am talking Phone here... not Homepod, or Apple TV etc. I am talking about the thing that actually makes them money, and keeps them being one of the worlds biggest companies, the thing that generates all the revenue for the itunes store.

Fire those thoughts across now! :)

Associate
So does anyone think Apple are actually going to bring anything new to the table, and by new I mean, new. Not OLED screen that have been around since forever ago, and are in £100 Chinese phones, or wireless charging that has been around since forever ago, or facial login features. I mean something NEW! and exciting, and just a bit special, something really makes it stand out from the crowd, especially on the flagship Model X. I don't want to hear them having courage to make the battery smaller, 'cause the screen uses less power :p Or I don't want a round of applause for it having become 0.015mm thinner, nor a standing ovation for the new iOS 11 features, that have been out since beta, and we all know what they are.

I am talking Phone here... not Homepod, or Apple TV etc. I am talking about the thing that actually makes them money, and keeps them being one of the worlds biggest companies, the thing that generates all the revenue for the itunes store.

Fire those thoughts across now! :)

What would you like Apple to announce in their phone that would be new to the table?

Associate
Has there been any phone in history (for the commoner, so we'll exclude the 80's when you had to be Trump to afford one) with a price tag of more than a grand? Instant new feature right there!

Associate
I'm the first one to bleat on about how much I hated the larger 6/6S form factor trading it in for an SE was the best purchase I've made phone wise in recent times, but even I'm having troubles not staving the hype off :(

I wouldn't mind a cracked screen just so people are all "Oh you got the new... what?"

The form factor is my biggest gripe, I really wish they would release a premium SE with specs to match the main release like they did when the iPad Mini 2 and original iPad Air.

I keep wanting to up/downgrade to a SE but I like the peace of mind the waterproofing the 7 offers, the better camera optics and the faster touch ID.

Man of Honour
Probably because there isn't anything worthwhile to leak :p

I'd be amazed, and pleased, if there was anything left announced today that was a surprise. I know with the world of social media we can't go back to the days of "And one more thing...", but it would be amazing to go back to a time where we at least don't know what the phone is going to look like.

I remember in Uni watching the Steve Jobs keynotes and they'd do the "And one more thing..." and you'd always go nuts because it was something pretty damn awesome. Like if it happened today on these forums, you'd have 5 pages of people just posting their reaction to the announcement and repeating the same post :D

Soldato
What would you like Apple to announce in their phone that would be new to the table?

Something that will give it separation from other phones, that can then justify the rumoured £1k price tag, and iOS won't fly since you can get that on cheaper Apple devices. If I knew what they had up their sleeves, or had amazing phone idea's maybe I'd have a job with a mobile company.

The ability to dock/virtually the iPhone to make it into an Apple TV? So rather than needing a separate device, you could use that, could have a 60GHz receiver option too, so no cables. With all the processing power it is going to have it would make a great media streamer, and since everything is in the cloud not local, no need for extra storage space. It would be good if it could then become the remote, so you could use Siri as well, it would be good if you could then drop back to using it as a phone if you had to. I suppose it almost exists, I just imagine if Apple made it into an App affair it would be seemless, and awesome.

Soldato
^That would be cool. It does seem like we're moving towards having phones in our pockets that are as powerful as many laptop computers, it would be handy to be able to just take your phone as your only computer from place to place and dock it into a monitor, keyboard and mouse.

The only thing is I'm not sure how that would work on iOS as it's so touch dependent. How does it work on the new Android devices when you dock them, do you get Chrome OS and a mouse pointer? or is it Android with a mouse pointer?

Man of Honour
Probably because there isn't anything worthwhile to leak :p

There's more mystery around this iPhone X than there usually has been for other iPhone launches the last few years. We have a good idea of it but I'm still very keen to see it formally presented and all of the exact details/specs/things it can do.

I fear they're going backwards if there's no TouchID though. FaceID will have flaws you can't really get around. I know they tried to have the fingerprint scanner behind the screen but weren't successful (at the moment).

Soldato
The only thing is I'm not sure how that would work on iOS as it's so touch dependent. How does it work on the new Android devices when you dock them, do you get Chrome OS and a mouse pointer? or is it Android with a mouse pointer?

I was thinking more the lines of physical dock when needed, but mainly virtual, and you launch an App to control it. You have a virtual remote for Amazon Fire TV, and voice, so I guess you could integrate it as OSD.

Associate
I wondered why Apple didn't make an "Apple TV", as in team up with Samsung or LG or whatever and make a Cinema Display-esque actual TV with an inbuilt Apple TV and stuff, chuck a £7k pricetag on it and call it a day.

Microsoft did a Lumia that turns into a fully fledged Windows 10 computer when you plug it into a monitor.

Soldato
I wondered why Apple didn't make an "Apple TV", as in team up with Samsung or LG or whatever and make a Cinema Display-esque actual TV with an inbuilt Apple TV and stuff, chuck a £7k pricetag on it and call it a day.

Microsoft did a Lumia that turns into a fully fledged Windows 10 computer when you plug it into a monitor.
They have been working on a fully fledged TV. Pics leaked a month or so ago.

Associate
They have been working on a fully fledged TV. Pics leaked a month or so ago.

Huh. Damn, they stole my idea!

Apparently the X stands for "exclusive", it's exclusively for people who can afford £1300. It's exclusively for people who can pay for two months rent. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom