LG 27GP850-B

Associate
Yes, cheapest ever, from amazon sites. I am skeptical about the warranty/delivery...somebody got more experience or infromation regarding that?
If i need to return it, do i need to pay again the transport?

Associate
I have the 32in version to this and im sending mine back .. the screen down clocks itself to around 48hz even though set to 180hz . 180hz needs to be on for Gsync to work. HDR is Awful and not worth having on . I do use it as a second screen though plugged into my Area 51M R2. I will check out the other screen ive now ordered .. Alienware38 .. double the cost , less frames , but im building a main pc anyway .Gsync dont really work on these compatible gsync screens .

Associate
Gsync is perfect on the 27 , no issues with hz changes . Mine never cuts out. Seems u got a bad one . As for hdr anything under 1000 nits isn’t worth it , mine stays with hdr off

Caporegime
Gsync is perfect on the 27 , no issues with hz changes . Mine never cuts out. Seems u got a bad one . As for hdr anything under 1000 nits isn’t worth it , mine stays with hdr off
All the reviews consistently point this out, so you'd have to have gone in pretty much blind to end up disappointed with the HDR performance of what is essentially an SDR monitor.

All these HDR10/HDR40 (etc) monitors are useless for HDR, it's just a marketing gimmick. You either need OLED or you need a high-end FALD display for HDR. And iirc OLED has issues with peak brightness being relatively low?

Associate
All the reviews consistently point this out, so you'd have to have gone in pretty much blind to end up disappointed with the HDR performance of what is essentially an SDR monitor.

All these HDR10/HDR40 (etc) monitors are useless for HDR, it's just a marketing gimmick. You either need OLED or you need a high-end FALD display for HDR. And iirc OLED has issues with peak brightness being relatively low?

100% agree, i never use HDR, this monitor for me is HDR off and for that its great

Soldato
And iirc OLED has issues with peak brightness being relatively low?
That isn't problem in controlled illumination environment like inside.
Unless I'm mistaken of your age, you should remember that CRTs didn't have much of brightness, but image quality was superior to LCDs because of capability to good black.

Caporegime
Yes, cheapest ever, from amazon sites. I am skeptical about the warranty/delivery...somebody got more experience or infromation regarding that?
If i need to return it, do i need to pay again the transport?
Read this on HUKD

Just be mindful if you get a duff one its a pain doing a return. You have to make your own arrangements. For returns its a Slovakia sorting office. I refused and they gave me a return address in France. It still cost me £12 postage for a Blu Ray player 2kg weight.. Maximum postal reimbursement 7 Euros. Almost pointless buying from any of the European Amazon outlets as you dont have the reassurance of a simple returns process. Only for the brave I think.
Knowing my luck I'll get a duff one, so I'm not taking a chance on any of Jeff's EU stores.

e: Also today LG responded to my email about warranty. They have confirmed that if you buy the product outside the UK, LG voids all warranty and will not repair or replace the monitor should it be or become faulty. They will not help. I'm not even sure this is legal under UK or EU law, but that's their stance nonetheless.

Last edited:
Associate
Are we thinking that there's little to no chance that this monitor ever ends up for sale in the UK? It's super odd that the 32" variant is available and pretty easy to get - but the 27" has just never surfaced at all.

Caporegime
Are we thinking that there's little to no chance that this monitor ever ends up for sale in the UK? It's super odd that the 32" variant is available and pretty easy to get - but the 27" has just never surfaced at all.
I don't think it's coming at all. There's been plenty of time, and literally nobody - including LG UK - have a date for this in the UK.

Best to assume it's not happening. Right now there are no good (read fast) 27" 1440p screens at a reasonable price. You can spend £800 and get a decent one, but that's it. Gigabyte screwed the pooch with BGR sub-pixel layout, and other brands have glaring flaws like no sRGB clamp (thanks, Dell).

The LG ticked all the boxes except awful contrast, but I was going to live with that. But you can't buy it, so never mind.

Like you said, it's super odd that the UK gets the 32" since the beginning, but no 27". The smaller variant has been in stock for weeks now both in the USA and Europe. However prices have gone up. I'm just not sure what LG are playing at.

Associate
I don't think it's coming at all. There's been plenty of time, and literally nobody - including LG UK - have a date for this in the UK.

Best to assume it's not happening. Right now there are no good (read fast) 27" 1440p screens at a reasonable price. You can spend £800 and get a decent one, but that's it. Gigabyte screwed the pooch with BGR sub-pixel layout, and other brands have glaring flaws like no sRGB clamp (thanks, Dell).

The LG ticked all the boxes except awful contrast, but I was going to live with that. But you can't buy it, so never mind.

Like you said, it's super odd that the UK gets the 32" since the beginning, but no 27". The smaller variant has been in stock for weeks now both in the USA and Europe. However prices have gone up. I'm just not sure what LG are playing at.
Yeah, reluctantly, I think you're right. You're also spot on about it being the best option for a 27" 1440p at a reasonable price.

I've been half tempted by the AW2721D from Alienware but that's £700 - almost double what the 27GP850 would likely be (assuming it would mirror the previous models and be between 329-379).

It'd be great for LG to be open about what is causing the issues, whether it's Brexit or the general worldwide container pricing and availability issue right now. I also don't want to take the risk of ordering from the continent to then potentially have issues that require a return!

I did have a thought that they could be doing what they did with the 27GN950 - where that was released for an extremely short period of time and hardly available at all before LG immediately replaced it with the 27GP950. Possibly LG are looking to release another improvement to the 850 model (240hz?) and that explains the lack of UK availability.

Soldato

The 32" version of this monitor is up for sale on OCUK, Literally all the same specs, Res etc... but at 32", It seems the 27" version is a unicorn.

I bought the 32" version yesterday and it was meant to be delivered today but someone in the warehouse didn't put a label on it so it never got delivered, Gotta love England, Everything is half a$$ed :cry:

Caporegime
The 32" version of this monitor is up for sale on OCUK, Literally all the same specs, Res etc... but at 32", It seems the 27" version is a unicorn.

I bought the 32" version yesterday and it was meant to be delivered today but someone in the warehouse didn't put a label on it so it never got delivered, Gotta love England, Everything is half a$$ed :cry:
It's not the same. It's slightly slower, too big for my desk, and bigger pixels :p

Soldato
It's not the same. It's slightly slower, too big for my desk, and bigger pixels :p

Personally I'm not going to notice the difference between the 27" versions 4.59ms response time and the 32" versions 5.34ms response time, According to Hardware Unboxed, If I did I'd sign myself up for super human studies :p

Size for my use case is good though as it's far enough away.

I do wonder why the 27" version is so difficult to find in the UK when it's slightly bigger brother is in ample supply :confused:

Soldato
Still no sign of this in the UK, but in the US they've put the prices up.

If - if - and when (if) this monitor ever arrives on our shores, chances are it'll be a £500 display. I wonder if they're trying to get rid of the GL models, which appear to be in stock everywhere (for <£300).

I emailed LG again, but unlike my first email a couple months back, this time they didn't even bother responding.

Wow, when did that happen?

I paid circa £370 for my GL850 if I remember right, was so hard to source I ordered form a unknown company who sent me one with a EU plug.

Associate
Thanks for the reply. I was going to order a replacement, but I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle if other people are having the same issue. I've contacted LG and told them about it, do you mind doing the same? Hopefully it can be fixed with a firmware update.

hi ebinc

I have this monitor (27gp850) , I love it , great monitor , everything works great but I have the same problem when some game switch to HDR.
sometimes , the monitor becomes unresponsive , it s blocked on HDR mode when I return to windows, joystick is unresponsive too.
have to switch it off and on to have a normal behavior.
At the beginning , I believed it was a driver 's problem but it seems it s the monitor , any news on update to solve this problem ?

edit : just update the firmware (v4.17) and the problem seems to be gone , I tried many HDR games and the problem doesn't happen again.

Last edited:
Caporegime
This appears to have made its way to one UK retailer now. For now they've priced it almost the same as the 32", so I've decided to just wait for the price to drop a bit.

Heck, been waiting since June, what's the harm of waiting another couple months. But it's £100 more expensive than the 27GL850 atm, and only £20 cheaper than the 32". They knocked £100 off the 32" after just over one month, so shouldn't be long.

Soldato
This appears to have made its way to one UK retailer now. For now they've priced it almost the same as the 32", so I've decided to just wait for the price to drop a bit.

Heck, been waiting since June, what's the harm of waiting another couple months. But it's £100 more expensive than the 27GL850 atm, and only £20 cheaper than the 32". They knocked £100 off the 32" after just over one month, so shouldn't be long.

I just got the 32", Mainly as I like to lean back a bit more with controller in hand with a fair few games, Really nice monitor so I imagine the 27" version for people who prefer to get a bit closer will be just as good :)

Back
Top Bottom