LG 27GR95QE (worlds first OLED 240hz 2560x1440p) launches 28 December

Soldato
I’m interested in this one - I don’t really want a screen bigger than 27-18 inch tbh. I find them overwhelming otherwise. So far I haven’t had any luck with IPS, always trigger migraines. So hoping OLED at this size and resolution will be pretty spot on for me - despite it being very expensive.

Soldato
I’m interested in this one - I don’t really want a screen bigger than 27-18 inch tbh. I find them overwhelming otherwise. So far I haven’t had any luck with IPS, always trigger migraines. So hoping OLED at this size and resolution will be pretty spot on for me - despite it being very expensive.

PWM flicker most likely, same with me and lcd. Went oled and no more eye strain.

Associate
I value contrast very much and black must be black and not grey. Another IPS issue are the IPS bleeds which is very annoying when there are dark scenes in games for example.
I play a lot of GTAV/O so yeah, night scenes are there a lot and heists/setups too. I don't want bigger than 27", heck, 27" is the max I want. And 18"? What about Asus MQ16AH? It's a portable 16" OLEd screen and it has a glossy display. I have it and I love it :p Truely remarkable when using it at nights for example.

Soldato
I have the 27Gp950 4k 160hz ips panel and would consider upgrading to OLED 1440p 240hz 27"

I don't think I need 4k for my gaming needs and 1440p would be more than enough. My second monitor is an BenQ 27XL 1440p 144hz tn panel.

I haz 4090!
Don
I'll be in the queue for a pair of these. I've had my Asus PG278Q and PG279Q for years now, and for me having the upgrade to OLED with even higher hz is worth it. I don't need or want 4K when I'm sat 2' away from my screens - that's where the 55" OLED comes into play when I'm sat a bit further away on the sofa.

Soldato
OP
LG releases brightness details for SDR

The monitor has a max SDR brightness of 200 nits and it's achieved with windows under 25% size. At 100% window size max brightness is 120nits.

Compared to QD OLED monitors which have 250 nits at 25% window and 250 nits at 100% window.

Meaning users will see significant dimming in normal desktop use of the LG monitor. LG has yet to release the HDR specs

Associate
LG releases brightness details for SDR

The monitor has a max SDR brightness of 200 nits and it's achieved with windows under 25% size. At 100% window size max brightness is 120nits.

Compared to QD OLED monitors which have 250 nits at 25% window and 250 nits at 100% window.

Meaning users will see significant dimming in normal desktop use of the LG monitor. LG has yet to release the HDR specs

Not only that, it uses a lot of more power too. More than 42C2. Not sure what's going but it looks to be a very disappointing. Still curious on what Evil Geniuses said. Or they've been bribed?

The brightness is high likely not really an issue for me because my room is fairly dimmed.

Last edited:
Soldato
The brightness is high likely not really an issue for me because my room is fairly dimmed.
Even if that 120 nits is enough, having to use high brightness setting to achieve that means putting lots of stress on OLEDs and burning through panel's endurance at faster pace.

Then add other lack lusters of LG and their WRGB...
This simply isn't what OLED marketing hype has been promising as coming for ten+ years.

Let's not forget that if they can't do better than this at average 2560x1440 resolution/pixel size, then pixel size required by 4K must be pretty bad.

Or they've been bribed?
Didn't LG give "suggestions" for LCD monitor review to Hardware Unboxed year or two ago?
So wouldn't wonder any about bigger shenanigans in case of tech not delivering hype and being behind competitor.

Associate
Even if that 120 nits is enough, having to use high brightness setting to achieve that means putting lots of stress on OLEDs and burning through panel's endurance at faster pace.

Its likely the opposite - they are probably limiting max brightness in order to protect/extend the oleds emitters lifespan and mitigate against burn in.

Last edited:
Soldato
Its likely the opposite - they are probably limiting max brightness in order to protect/extend the oleds emitters lifespan and mitigate against burn in.
Trying to turn it around to look positive for LG, aren't we?
This low brightness means LG likely hasn't managed to do really anything to increase brightness/endurance.
If they had been able to do that, they would have increased brightness to better compete against Samsung.

And we have to remember this lack luster brightness is achieved only with colours limiting white subpixel!

Back
Top Bottom