LG 27GR95QE (worlds first OLED 240hz 2560x1440p) launches 28 December

Associate
I think it's better we wait for a couple of months on the reviews. I mean, 1440p at power consumption of 74W and max of 94W with a bad brightness? That doesn't sound good at all.
And of course, the price. LG got the audacity to ask such high price and who says the retailers will sell it at 999? They'll simply jack up the prices.

There is still no info on what kind of OLED tech will be used? WRGB or JOLED? If JOLED, it would be a dumb choice because from the rumors, they'll be out of business.
They said JOLED will be "cheap" and the first 21.6" monitors were $5000....

Soldato
There is still no info on what kind of OLED tech will be used? WRGB or JOLED?
JOLED makes true wide gamut panels convering also AdobeRGB.
This is likely standard WRGB with its colour purity issues.

That’s not in any way confirmed yet. It’s speculated it might given the 42” does but it’s not definite
Let's hope for heatsink, because this OLED SNAFU needs all possible help to squeeze out little more endurance.
I mean LG wouldn't set brightness that low if panel was less fragile...

Man of Honour
There’s also a fine balance when you get in to using OLED as a monitor instead of as a TV. With the likelihood of a lot more static content usage, and the desire to avoid having to use impractical and unwanted OLED protection measures on a desktop monitor like ASBL /TPC, the brightness tends to be more conservative to minimise the image retention risk.

It’s not fair to compare it to OLED TV brightness for instance as the usage types and usage patterns are entirely different and each handle the burn in risk in different ways.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Bit pointless having USB4 tbh, yet another "standard" extension that will be mish mashed around by vendors for years and years.
1440P is the popular sweet spot now, and on a 27" it is the native resolution and legible PPI, 4K results in text and things being too dense and Windows will default to a higher scaling value as a result.

4K 27" will no doubt come, but native should always be first for each screen size, it's the most natural.

Last edited:
Soldato
Surprised these are 1440p not 4K.
If they can't do better than this at pixels size of 2560x1440, pixel size of 3840x2160 is propably very fragile.

After 10+ years of hype about OLED being just around the corner I can't anymore consider its problems to be solvable.

Associate
If they can't do better than this at pixels size of 2560x1440, pixel size of 3840x2160 is propably very fragile.

After 10+ years of hype about OLED being just around the corner I can't anymore consider its problems to be solvable.
I know it's about compromise in the monitor market, and so opinion is high. But I would take 27" 1440p oled over 4k lcd easily.

Caporegime
I'm gonna be waiting for reviews i think. That doesn't sound good.

#Depends. I have always calibrated my monitors to 120 nits for SDR including my current LG C2. Anymore and i feel the burn in my retinas! 200nits should be more than ample for "normal" people.

Caporegime
Trying to turn it around to look positive for LG, aren't we?
This low brightness means LG likely hasn't managed to do really anything to increase brightness/endurance.
If they had been able to do that, they would have increased brightness to better compete against Samsung.

And we have to remember this lack luster brightness is achieved only with colours limiting white subpixel!

Thats for their new MLA OLED panels due next year - those OLED panels will go to 2000 nits!!!!!!!! There is a limit with what they can do with their current panel tech. MLA is meant to compete with QD OLED. LG hasnt even got TVs out yet with the MLA panels so it will be later still - perhaps 2024 before we see LG MLA OLED monitors.

Back
Top Bottom