LG 27GR95QE (worlds first OLED 240hz 2560x1440p) launches 28 December

Soldato
#Depends. I have always calibrated my monitors to 120 nits for SDR including my current LG C2. Anymore and i feel the burn in my retinas! 200nits should be more than ample for "normal" people.

Yeah I just checked what my current monitor settings equate to in nits. 121 nits apparently. I don't like staring at the sun either :p

Last edited:
Man of Honour
#Depends. I have always calibrated my monitors to 120 nits for SDR including my current LG C2. Anymore and i feel the burn in my retinas! 200nits should be more than ample for "normal" people.
totally agree. A lot of unncessary fuss when the vast majority of people aren't going to run the screen at brighter than this for desktop and normal use. 120 nits is common and recommended. Some people might want to go for 150 nits, some may even want 200 nits but this is more than enough. SDR content is mastered to 100 nits as well keep in mind. HDR will obv go brighter and peak brightness hasn't yet been confirmed

Soldato
Thats for their new MLA OLED panels due next year - those OLED panels will go to 2000 nits!!!!!!!! There is a limit with what they can do with their current panel tech. MLA is meant to compete with QD OLED. LG hasnt even got TVs out yet with the MLA panels so it will be later still - perhaps 2024 before we see LG MLA OLED monitors.
+20% to brightness won't make 2000 nits.
Maybe unless pushing pixels to burning out in hours level...

And would definitely treat advertised schedules with plus year, two or three extra.
OLED has simply been so consistent in falling behind promises.

Associate

And would definitely treat advertised schedules with plus year, two or three extra.
Not to mention the prices if they actually get launched. Retailers will simply jack up the prices. I think it's a good idea to forget about that tech for a very long while.

Soldato
They talk about it a bit here: https://www.engadget.com/lg-ultra-g...new-bar-for-oled-refresh-rates-153046589.html

It is curved for the 45", which I hadn't realised. The 27" is flat.
Cheers dude. The 45" looks great to me. I currently use a 1080 34" ultrawide at home and am fine with the clarity of text when working from home (I have a 1440 ultrawide at work and, while better, don't feel like the extra resolution is night and day at all). The pixel density with the 45" monster will be fine for me and it sounds epic for gaming! And not a total pig to run like 4k monitors. Brightness levels are a bit of a gripe, but I game in the dark so may be a non issue.

Either way - looking forward to more reviews/impressions when these are in the wild :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
First review is out

unfortunately it doesn't get particularly bright for HDR and the QD-OLED monitors are significantly brighter and have better colors. What the LG has going for it is the best total latency of any monitor on the market

Last edited:
Soldato
OP

The brightness boost can be much higher than 20%. Unfortunately the brightness boost depends on panel size, smaller the screen the less benefit, larger gets more benefit - on the 77 inch it gets 70% boost to brightness.

Last edited:
Associate
First review is out

unfortunately it doesn't get particularly bright for HDR and the QD-OLED monitors are significantly brighter and have better colors. What the LG has going for it is the best total latency of any monitor on the market

I'd also add 240hz oled motion clarity as a big plus too.

Associate
Cool tech always takes very long to be actually released unfortunately. Anyway, I'm torn between the LG and Asus OLED monitor.
If it happens LG will have ABL that cannot be disabled, then it will be Asus. Only very few people have the LG OLED and no reviews so far...

Soldato
Not had anything official but it’s def lagging behind USA. I know this is vague, but I’d expect Q1 sometime personally
Propably best to assume accuracy of half year, like it has been for Q2-Q3 of last year Acer X32 FP.
Which seems to have performed magic trick of disappearing from any news.

Soldato
OP
Bloke doesn't even have a gaming pc, what a waste...

Yep lmao, I remember a few months ago in a video he just straight up says "guys I never game on pc so I won't be keeping this monitor". I have no idea why he reviewers any monitors or PC components because he doesn't actually use any of them

Back
Top Bottom