LG 27GR95QE (worlds first OLED 240hz 2560x1440p) launches 28 December

Soldato
Quick comparison, watch in HDR

Have they got the settings right as the Alienware AW3423d while brighter seems to be very washed out and is losing a lot of detail. Ruins the entire image. It feels like the Alienware AW3423d has bloom at 400% losing all the detail. What should be blue is white. What should be a red/yellow pattern is bright white. A good example 1:43 the flag text on the LG is perfectly readable. The capture the flag text on the AW3423d is a blur of over bright bloom and the reload text further down is not clear. That Alienware AW3423d just looks horrible and I don't think it should look that bad unless the settings are wrong. 0.38 seconds is another example the waterfall is fully detailed on the LG, on the Alienware AW3423d its a washed out bright mess with no deatil. Overall the LG seems to be a vastly superior image.

Last edited:
Soldato
Have they got the settings right as the Alienware AW3423d while brighter seems to be very washed out and is losing a lot of detail. Ruins the entire image. It feels like the Alienware AW3423d has bloom at 400% losing all the detail. What should be blue is white. What should be a red/yellow pattern is bright white. A good example 1:43 the flag text on the LG is perfectly readable. The capture the flag text on the AW3423d is a blur of over bright bloom and the reload text further down is not clear. That Alienware AW3423d just looks horrible and I don't think it should look that bad unless the settings are wrong. 0.38 seconds is another example the waterfall is fully detailed on the LG, on the Alienware AW3423d its a washed out bright mess with no deatil. Overall the LG seems to be a vastly superior image.
Both monitors are running at max brightness to show the differences.

Soldato
OP
Both monitors are maxed

The blooming seen is a camera problem, they do struggle with bright light especially cheaper ones

Soldato
Both monitors are maxed

The blooming seen is a camera problem, they do struggle with bright light especially cheaper ones
Not sure he used the right camera to show of the real difference between the two screens. The camera looks capped at 60fps ruining the motion/speed benefits of the LG and the blooming ruins the image quality on the Alienware. I wonder if it was even a HDR camera and if so how good of one or if the camera converted down to SDR and he uploaded it as HDR. To many unknowns.

Last edited:
Associate
Yep, he said not good for competitive or for the looks. Will wait for more reviews of course.
Yeah, I got what you mean. It sucks we EU and UK have to wait this long to see it in person. My room is pretty dimmed so it shouldn't be a problem and I got used to matte screens whereas I love my current monitor. But they also said the LG OLED monitor also got ABL. Hopefully we can disable it.

Soldato
OP
Anyone seen this review? Doesn’t sound good

I'm sorry but this guy comes across as a total amateur. I do know the brightest is dim and the matte coating isn't great but he does a few dumb things and dumb complaints in the video.

* He says any monitor needs at least 300nits of SDR brightness or it's useless. I have an Alienware QDOLED which gets brighter than this LG and for ray to day use I have mine running at 100 nits in SDR and I have no problem using it even with lights on in the room.

* He says the diffused RGB light on his desk is brighter than the monitor. Such a weird complaint, of course lights are brighter, also how does he have so much rgb it illuminates his entire room in bright light and lastly, RGB lights have brightness adjustment, I know cause I adjust mine lower when I'm playing a dark horror game and want the authentic experience - and yet he acts like this is an issue

* Then says the 240hz doesn't matter because other LG monitors have similar ghosting and he proceeds to put up a UFO test on screen where the OLED clearly looks better... like what the ****

Associate
I'm sorry but this guy comes across as a total amateur. I do know the brightest is dim and the matte coating isn't great but he does a few dumb things and dumb complaints in the video.

* He says any monitor needs at least 300nits of SDR brightness or it's useless. I have an Alienware QDOLED which gets brighter than this LG and for ray to day use I have mine running at 100 nits in SDR and I have no problem using it even with lights on in the room.

* He says the diffused RGB light on his desk is brighter than the monitor. Such a weird complaint, of course lights are brighter, also how does he have so much rgb it illuminates his entire room in bright light and lastly, RGB lights have brightness adjustment, I know cause I adjust mine lower when I'm playing a dark horror game and want the authentic experience - and yet he acts like this is an issue

* Then says the 240hz doesn't matter because other LG monitors have similar ghosting and he proceeds to put up a UFO test on screen where the OLED clearly looks better... like what the ****
Yes, on these points I've been scratching behind my ears. Any monitor atleast 300 nits? I've set 0the Brightness set at 65 of my BenQ GW2280 and it's still very clear. I don't know the exact nits but definitely lower than 200 as this is the only one monitor that doesn't hurt my eyes.

I wish Samsung would make 27" 16:9 QD-OLED monitors...

A new review just came out:

Haven't seen the whole video as I literally found it after closing this forum lol.

Last edited:
Associate

agree, need to wait for some more established reviews to come out. I currently have the AW3423DW, play more competitive so have been waiting for these 240hz oleds. the AW is surprisingly good, so will need some good reviews on the LG / ASUS 240hz.

Associate
I don't know what to say about this except this is disappointing, you can clearly see massive difference:

Ugh, can't LG release it sooner in EU and UK so we can see it ourself?!

Associate
Quick comparison, watch in HDR

It might be a **** take but i think the LG looks better there. The AW looks like it had so much bloom, it's too much. (for me)

Also, is it brightness a little less of an issue when the contrast ratio is so much better? (i run low(er) brightness anyway due to getting headaches, fatigue etc)

Back
Top Bottom