LG 27GR95QE (worlds first OLED 240hz 2560x1440p) launches 28 December

Soldato
The YouTube comparisons are pointless really it need's to be seen with our own eyes, but that is easier said than done.

The video above i am sure does not do these monitors justice it's not a great comparison.

Hopefully Vincent will get his hands on one soon to test.

Associate
The YouTube comparisons are pointless really it need's to be seen with our own eyes, but that is easier said than done.

The video above i am sure does not do these monitors justice it's not a great comparison.

Hopefully we will get our hands on one soon to test.
Fixed

But yeah, you're definitely right tho because some youtubers have great cameras that makes the LG OLED look very good while other cameras are trash like the last one.
And I'm definitely not gonna buy a JOLED monitor.

Soldato

So it begins :)

But the subpixel text would need to be fixed first for me. And maybe better nits for improved HDR.
Its a bit off a hard one to measure. Looks like can hit up to 1000Nits in HDR depending on how much of the screen is bright and dark. We need more high quality reviews as most of the early ones have been rather poor.

Associate
I'd be interested to see how 'terrible' the matte coating and dim-ness is.

I use an IPS 1440p/165 monitor now which has glow/bleed and looks quite washed out, rated for 400 nits max, but I have it at 50% brightness.

My assumption is that with the huge contrast ratio and well, OLED -- it would still look fantastic.

I have a TV if I want HDR.

Man of Honour
I noticed that about the subpixel layout. Why did they choose rbg layout!? :(
They didn't choose RBG layout, that's not what is being used here. I have no idea how that influencer got this wrong, you can even see in his provided images and macro shots that the layout is normal RGB (red, blue, green).

The difference with these LG.Display OLED panels being used here, is that they use a WRGB (white + RGB) layout. the added White sub-pixel helps with brightness on the panels. It's that extra white sub-pixel that causes some text clarity issues in windows as it's expecting only an RGB layout.

where the "RBG" layout came from, i have no idea! lol

Soldato
They didn't choose RBG layout, that's not what is being used here. I have no idea how that influencer got this wrong, you can even see in his provided images and macro shots that the layout is normal RGB (red, blue, green).?? You put here r,B,g?

The difference with these LG.Display OLED panels being used here, is that they use a WRGB (white + RGB) layout. the added White sub-pixel helps with brightness on the panels. It's that extra white sub-pixel that causes some text clarity issues in windows as it's expecting only an RGB layout.

where the "RBG" layout came from, i have no idea! lol

They show an image of the screen and it's red blue green which then exacerbates the fringing . Not rgb which it should be I'll show the image when I have the time.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
They show an image of the screen and it's red blue green which then exacerbates the fringing . Not rgb which it should be I'll show the image when I have the time.
Having looked in to it further what is actually going on is that Lg’s OLED panels have a reverse sub pixel structure of BGR, with a fourth white sub pixel next to the blue. Making it technically “WBGR”. Oddly this is commonly and widely referred to as “WRGB” for some reason

So the text clarity is partly related to that reverse RGB and partly because of the additional white sub pixel. But it can’t technically be called “RBG”, as there’s a white sub pixel between red and blue :)

So WBGR is how it’s structured, or BGRW if you’d rather. But never “RBG”

Soldato
I don't know about the technical stuff but Doom Eternal looks ****** unreal running on that LG. Wow. Me Want.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think I'm going to wait a generation before I upgrade from my 144hz LCD. I HATE IPS glow and the contrast is crap, but I also want to make sure that if I'm going to spend £1000 that the monitor is damn near perfect. Same with the TV, I have an old 1080p unit that has great picture quality, but I'm going to wait for 2nd generation or later of QD-OLED before I upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom