LG 34GK950G, 3440x1440, G-Sync, 120Hz

Associate
You would have to be drunk to buy one of them.

Its a gamble for sure, but equally it could be that the buyer just didn't like IPS glow coming from say a TN or VA panel.

Bias lighting really helps, and the circle on the G model is nice for that. I bought a 6500k luminoodle for my F model and couldnt be happier. I don't see any glow now.

YMMV of course.

Caporegime
Its a gamble for sure, but equally it could be that the buyer just didn't like IPS glow coming from say a TN or VA panel.

I picked up one of the B-Grade F's from OcUK and it's absolutely stunning with allllllllllllmost zero glow (slight hint in the lower left, and I mean slight). Came from a perfect XB271HU and am so so happy, the nVidia Freesync driver (along with the Faster overdrive option) do an absolutely fantastic job with it. I came from the proper Acer Gsync as stated, really does feel the same maybe the merest hint that the Acer is faster but nothing in it, could be 165hz vs 144.

Couldn't be happier! You never really know why people send stuff back, could be something like it's too big for their space etc. Quick check for dead pixels and nothing, seen nothing since either.

I'm going to throw up a little impressions thread once OcUK get more stock :)

Associate
Not sure if this has been mentioned already but there's a firmware update available for the 34GK950F now. If you download the LG On Screen control app and have it connected via USB, it should prompt you for an update when launching the app.

Link for the app: https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-34GK950F-B-gaming-monitor

After updating, I've noticed the FreeSync range is now 48-144 (used to be 55-144). Not sure what other changes it contains.

Associate
Not sure if this has been mentioned already but there's a firmware update available for the 34GK950F now. If you download the LG On Screen control app and have it connected via USB, it should prompt you for an update when launching the app.

Link for the app: https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-34GK950F-B-gaming-monitor

After updating, I've noticed the FreeSync range is now 48-144 (used to be 55-144). Not sure what other changes it contains.

Strange, I only get the firmware update notification if I don't have the USB 3 cable connected. If I do then it keeps asking me to disconnect the "other" monitor. However, with just the display port cable connected the firmware update fails each time.

Caporegime
Thanks @Daniel - LG I installed the Onscreen software (hooked up the USB) and it updated the 34GK950F automatically (takes about 20mins if anyone wondering).

Good to know that LG is supporting it and fixing things that are possible with software :)

Associate
For those who have successfully updated the firmware on their 950F or even G, you used the included USB 3 A to B cable right? Still having the same issues as above. If the USB cable is connected I always see the error message: "The OnScreen Control update can be applied to one monitor only. Disconnect the connected monitor and try again."

I have disconnected the DP and USB cable from the GPU to the second monitor. I've tried cold booting the 950F, including unplugging the mains. Tried 4 different USB ports on the motherboard which all work perfectly with other devices. The only way the update will commence (but then always fail to progress) if is the USB cable is not connected.

Any ideas?

Associate
@Bugbait Daniel sent me the updated firmware if you'd like to update it manually? I noticed their was an option to do that (but I didn't need to, picked it up straight away).

Thanks for the offer. Managed to get it working (well, at 70% at the moment) by connecting it to the other PC. Same cables, just different Nvidia GPUs (1060 vs 1080Ti) and motherboards.

Back
Top Bottom