LG 34GK950G, 3440x1440, G-Sync, 120Hz

Man of Honour
I know they have that one, but they need a new lower one, currently Gsync is not very good. You have out of date module OR ridiculous module, they need up to date module AND ridiculous module.
This is the only current monitor which would be considered “out of date” where the v1 Gsync module is holding it back from the full panel refresh/res capability keep in mind.

Man of Honour
Has anyone done photo editing on ths panel? How does the colour reproduction compare to IPS/VA? I'm potentially after something to replace both my monitors for 1 big one and utilize the split screen.
This is an IPS panel. If you’re doing photo editing then you’d almost certainly be better off with the F model which has a factory calibration and also a reliable sRGB emulation mode for if you need to work specifically with that colour space and not the native wider gamut

Associate
Of coarse the more important metric to meet for smooth, tear and stutter free visuals is that your graphics card can maintain a frame rate above the LFC activation threshold of 48hz.

A 1080ti would have little problem with that at this res.

My 1070 couldn't handle Anthem at Ultra settings without LFC, if that helps. I'm getting 70 FPS at medium/high settings with a 85% resolution scaling, still tweaking tough, and I know I'm CPU bottle necked (6600K @ 4.6GHz).

Soldato
This is the only current monitor which would be considered “out of date” where the v1 Gsync module is holding it back from the full panel refresh/res capability keep in mind.

Well yes exactly, which is why my comment : "the lower Gsync module is now out of date", makes sense. Most new monitors now are going to be 3440 @ 144-200hz or 4k @ 120-144hz, so basically the lower Gsync module is out of date and pretty much worse than freesync. They need to improve the lower Gsync module.

Man of Honour
Well yes exactly, which is why my comment : "the lower Gsync module is now out of date", makes sense. Most new monitors now are going to be 3440 @ 144-200hz or 4k @ 120-144hz, so basically the lower Gsync module is out of date and pretty much worse than freesync. They need to improve the lower Gsync module.
thats a pretty big assumption that most new monitors are going to be beyond the bandwidth limits of v1 module / DisplayPort 1.2. i agree we will see more of those screens announced and released over the coming years, but so far we've only seen 1 where the v1 module has held it back (the 34GK950G). There are still likely to be plenty of smaller, lower refresh rate screens released with v1 module in my opinion given DP 1.2 is still a graphics card limitation for a large portion of NVIDIA users anyway.

I do agree the module is out of date for those upper requirements, but i don't agree that it's fully out of date. it will still have it's place for a while in my opinion

Soldato
Yes there are quite a few differences between the F and G models. Have a read of the detailed comparison in this review of the F model (and also the linked G model if needed)

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/lg_34gk950f.htm

I was looking for something that could replace both my existing monitors for a single, given this one seems to support split screen, I think I'd found my next unit.

Caporegime
I do agree the module is out of date for those upper requirements, but i don't agree that it's fully out of date. it will still have it's place for a while in my opinion

Does feel from the outside looking in that they're kinda giving up on hardware Gsync, at least the lower/middle end. But as long as they keep working on their Freesync functionality I'm not complaining!!

Man of Honour
Does feel from the outside looking in that they're kinda giving up on hardware Gsync, at least the lower/middle end. But as long as they keep working on their Freesync functionality I'm not complaining!!
I couldn’t get a firm answer on future plans when I spoke to NVIDIA as they don’t talk about unreleased tech, but they did imply that there were no plans to scrap traditional Gsync/module, and they would continue to develop it. I don’t know at this stage what that means, but it implied to me that they weren’t dropping it

The problem for Nvidia is Freesync 2 costs next to nothing to implement hardware wise, and the open spec supports 144hz at ultrawide and 4k resolutions.
So if Nvidia wants G-sync to stay relevant then they really need to drop the price of the newer G-sync HDR (v2) module right down and get manufacturers adding them to 3440x1440 and 3840×2160 panels ASAP.

*Still patiently waiting for the LG 34GK950F to come into stock.

Last edited:
Associate
Anyone from OCUK know what the order backlog is for these? I've just pre-ordered one today but just wanted to know how likely that pre-order would make it into this next batch coming later this month?

Back
Top Bottom