LG 34GK950G, 3440x1440, G-Sync, 120Hz

Associate
Multiple users on reddit and here have posted that there is no chroma subsampling at 3440x1440 120hz on DP1.2. A guy on reddit I talked to about it used this test to check https://www.geeks3d.com/20141203/ho...-chroma-subsampling-used-with-your-4k-uhd-tv/
I just skimmed that post, so I might have missed it, but from what I saw that was all about HDMI at 4k.That would be entirely unrelated to what we're hoping to determine. :(

If it's not:

DP1.2, 3440*1440@120 Hz, AND using G-SYNC

then it's not relevant to our question.

@JediFragger
@Vega

I very much want to trust your evaluations, that's just not very easy to do over the internet, when a third of male population is slightly color blind and half the male population tests their monitors with FPS games (compressed textures, lots of AA rather than sharp edges, limited color spaces). :(

What makes it particularly difficult to trust the "all is well" conclusion, is the fact that IF there is no degradation of any kind at 120 Hz, then the option to disable overclocking is technically pointless. Then Why?

Could you explain how you tested?

Did either of you use test images to surface banding issues (becomes quite apparent on a 6 bit panel), or use an image that is easily "ruined" at anything less than chroma 4:4:4?

No offense.

Soldato
Drop this notion that chroma subsampling, reduced bit depth or any other such compression of the colour signal is used on 3440 x 1440 @ 120Hz. It isn't. https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/31985157/.

This going around in circles is quite tiresome. @Vega is very experienced with monitors as well, by the way. He knows what he is looking for and understands the visual limitations imposed by reduced chroma or reduced bit depth. A module overclock for 3440 x 1440 @ 120Hz requires no such techniques to be employed and no existing monitor does that either. :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'm afraid I'm just a redneck, I stuck my nose about 3in from the screen and could see no visual difference in image nor text. Sorry for my exhaustive methodology :(

Associate
Drop this notion that chroma subsampling, reduced bit depth or any other such compression of the colour signal is used on 3440 x 1440 @ 120Hz. It isn't. https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/31985157/.

This going around in circles is quite tiresome. @Vega is very experienced with monitors as well, by the way. He knows what he is looking for and understands the visual limitations imposed by reduced chroma or reduced bit depth. A module overclock for 3440 x 1440 @ 120Hz requires no such techniques to be employed and no existing monitor does that either. :)
Any news to share on your review of the 950G? I keep checking your site everyday for the review lol

Associate
PCM, nice. I didn't know you were going to review the 950G. It will be interesting to see what this new panel revision brings to the table. Shame it doesn't appear to have ULMB. NVIDIA seems to be very stingy with which panels they allow ULMB. Unless that was LG's decision...

Soldato
PCM, nice. I didn't know you were going to review the 950G. It will be interesting to see what this new panel revision brings to the table. Shame it doesn't appear to have ULMB. NVIDIA seems to be very stingy with which panels they allow ULMB. Unless that was LG's decision...

Yes, I'll be reviewing both this and the FreeSync version at some point. Can't promise it will be before release as I'll be on vacation next month and LG haven't provided any samples yet (plus I'm finishing off another review now). It is a bit of a shame about ULMB, I agree. I think they only offer it on models that run at 120Hz+ without any sort of overclock.

Associate
Looking forward to the review
Yes, I'll be reviewing both this and the FreeSync version at some point. Can't promise it will be before release as I'll be on vacation next month and LG haven't provided any samples yet (plus I'm finishing off another review now). It is a bit of a shame about ULMB, I agree. I think they only offer it on models that run at 120Hz+ without any sort of overclock.

Looking forward to the review (your reviews are fantastic, you should invest in some superior camera/mikes!)... if you are in contact with LG as part of the review process see if you can pin them down on an answer as to whether the 120mhz overclock is guaranteed/warranted or not. This question has been posted to the LG product page but received a very ambiguous answer...

Last edited:
Associate

Where are your reviews posted?

Back
Top Bottom