LG 34GK950G, 3440x1440, G-Sync, 120Hz

Associate
G version showing as 10+ in stock with a new price of £1199.99 and the F is Pre Order at £1099.99. Makes sense if the full shipment arrived of only 6 F units. I was number 5 in queue if the Sales Rep was correct at the time of ordering.

Man of Honour
While I agree with most of your post, I completely disagree with there being little value in side by side, cloned, comparison posts. If we were talking about photos of a single monitor taken at different points in time, then your reasoning would be valid. However, when the picture taken includes both screens cloned, side by side, the discussion becomes different. Especially when calibrated to the same white point, etc. It would be correct to suggest that looking at any given color is subjective, but the relative appearance is what is important in this instance. Any image modifications by the camera should/will affect both images, except for the variable of viewing angle which won’t cause that much variablility in an IPS display.

The specific question I am trying to address is if gaming in wide gamut is as much of a disaster as some people imply. I would suggest, from the images posted, that the relative differences are real but subtle and the some statements out there on the internet are grossly over-exaggerated. So if you are currently running 100% sRGB, the relative differences of moving to wide gamut are small.

As far as posting some photos, yes that is on my to-do list. Again, not for the absolute color rendition, but for the relative color rendition.

Anyway, if you are doing color important work, you should probably be using color managed applications anyway. But I will post how “regular” internet content might look

You’re assuming the camera is capable of capturing wide gamut content, that the image has been saved and uploaded while retaining the intended colour space information and that you are viewing it on a screen capable of displaying wide gamut as well, with software and an image viewer capable of displaying wide gamut. There’s too many variables to make these kind of photos useful or accurate sadly

Associate
G version showing as 10+ in stock with a new price of £1199.99 and the F is Pre Order at £1099.99. Makes sense if the full shipment arrived of only 6 F units. I was number 5 in queue if the Sales Rep was correct at the time of ordering.
So for the people who waiting for any discount black friday is over :D

Associate
You’re assuming the camera is capable of capturing wide gamut content, that the image has been saved and uploaded while retaining the intended colour space information and that you are viewing it on a screen capable of displaying wide gamut as well, with software and an image viewer capable of displaying wide gamut. There’s too many variables to make these kind of photos useful or accurate sadly

But again, most of those concerns are for viewing a reproduction on a single image, not in making comparisons between two images captured in the identical manner. If there was any color shifting involved, it would affect both screens equally. It's about relative appearance. Or are you saying the wide gamut screen colors would 'flatten' while the sRGB colors would remain unchanged?

In any case, the photos were captured using an iPhone X which uses the DCI-P3 color gamut and therefore capable of capturing the color space of both. Therefore, any concerns would be on the display end, and would equally affect both images, allowing relative comparisons to still remain valid.

Also, the pictures that I took reflect reality in that the two screens are very similar and by no means is there an unacceptable level of over-saturation on the wide gamut screen.

More pictures of regular internet content below:

pi0SP6y.jpg
RlbdBhe.jpg
YMpoTlA.jpg

Associate
But again, most of those concerns are for viewing a reproduction on a single image, not in making comparisons between two images captured in the identical manner. If there was any color shifting involved, it would affect both screens equally. It's about relative appearance. Or are you saying the wide gamut screen colors would 'flatten' while the sRGB colors would remain unchanged?

In any case, the photos were captured using an iPhone X which uses the DCI-P3 color gamut and therefore capable of capturing the color space of both. Therefore, any concerns would be on the display end, and would equally affect both images, allowing relative comparisons to still remain valid.

Also, the pictures that I took reflect reality in that the two screens are very similar and by no means is there an unacceptable level of over-saturation on the wide gamut screen.
Just capturing a photo with a phone that has DCI-P3 doesn't mean the images are properly conveying color or represented on viewers' computers correctly. Every single segment of the chain from image to monitor to capture to profile management to final image matters. Taking an image with your iPhone does achieve all those requirements. It's extremely difficult and that's why there are tools(colorimeters/spectros) that can be used to obtain verifiable measurements. I have a high end Eizo on my desk next to my F model LG. The Eizo is extremely accurate and if I display a properly profiled image on that monitor in sRGB and the same image on my LG in Native gamut the LG displays the image as lot more saturated depending on the colors. I'd have a very difficult time properly capturing that difference on my camera phone which is also DCI-P3. It's not as simple as taking a snapshot with a camera that has wide gamut ability.

Associate
I'm the guy who couldn't get the overclock working on this monitor.

It's most likely your 780ti
I also just got this screen and have similar problem.
I have a gtx 770 and can't use 120hz only get 100hz option.
but as soon as i connect second 1080p screen i can only select 85hz.
also get 100hz option back when i disconnect 1080p screen.
most likely GPU resolution+hz limitation of kepler cards.

Also waiting on my ordered RTX 2080 ti.

2080ti now in hand - happy to report that the 120hz works just fine! Does seem to be a limitation of the Kepler cards.

Associate
Just capturing a photo with a phone that has DCI-P3 doesn't mean the images are properly conveying color or represented on viewers' computers correctly. Every single segment of the chain from image to monitor to capture to profile management to final image matters. Taking an image with your iPhone does achieve all those requirements. It's extremely difficult and that's why there are tools(colorimeters/spectros) that can be used to obtain verifiable measurements. I have a high end Eizo on my desk next to my F model LG. The Eizo is extremely accurate and if I display a properly profiled image on that monitor in sRGB and the same image on my LG in Native gamut the LG displays the image as lot more saturated depending on the colors. I'd have a very difficult time properly capturing that difference on my camera phone which is also DCI-P3. It's not as simple as taking a snapshot with a camera that has wide gamut ability.

Yes, I agree with the end to end chain needing be complete to ensure correct color accuracy when attempting to reproduce an exact image, but again, we are demonstrating relative differences. Surely these give a good approximation of what to expect, especially when I can subjectively verify that they indeed do look as similar as conveyed in the images.

I am not trying to capture the full color gamut or represent a given image, rather attempting to show relative performance... Which I believe these photos do approximate.

Soldato
Thanks for more photos Katscan, but those wallpaper images are most of the time already over saturated by whoever made them, because they are supposed to look "nice" for wallpaper use, do you have any of normal photos for example peoples faces etc? I agree that these comparisons are not that accurate due to what Badass just said, BUT it is still better than nothing and I am sure helpful to some people on here.

Back
Top Bottom