LG 34wk95u 5120x2160

Associate
Whoever wrote the tech specs page for that should be shot. Most obviously it doesn't say which versions of HDMI or Displayport are supported. And there's no Freesync or Gsync support.

Yeah - utterly annoying and unfortunately it's not uncommon with other manufacturer either - sometimes it's nigh on impossible to get detailed info on interface specs, even the final support manuals sometimes exclude it... :mad:

Associate
@Daniel - LG Please could you ask if the LG-34WK95U will support brightness/contrast adjustments over Thunderbolt 3 from a Mac, the same way that the LG Ultrafine 5K monitor does?

This looks like a very important feature, because without it the new MacBook Pro 2018's True Tone display feature will not work, because it would not be able to adjust the settings on the LG-34WK95U. (True Tone uses the ambient light sensor on the MacBook Pro to figure out the best colour temperature/brightness/contrast settings for the monitor, so that it is easier on the eyes depending on your room's lighting).

Thank you!

Last edited:
Associate
Ya but this monitor is running only 60 Hz, even though DP 1.4 can handle much more. DP 1.4 can do 120 Hz 4K. This monitor has 33% more pixels. Doing the math, that means DP 1.4 has the capability at a minimum to run 5120x2160 at 90 Hz. That would be epic!

Soldato
OP
DP 1.4 can do 120 Hz 4K.

Actually, the recent Asus and Acer high-refresh 4K monitors show that DP 1.4 can't do 120 Hz 4K. They start to lose precision at 96 Hz. They need the bandwidth of HDMI 2.1 for full 120 Hz 4k. And this monitor is 5K. Dell require two DP 1.4 cables for their 8K monitor.

Associate
Please could you ask if the LG-34WK95U will support brightness/contrast adjustments over Thunderbolt 3 from a Mac, the same way that the LG Ultrafine 5K monitor does?

@Daniel - LG Just to clarify, I'm aware that the LG-34WK95U supports DDC/CI brightness adjustments, but my research so far has found that this is not the mechanism that Macs need to use to talk to monitors.

Please could you therefore directly ask this question to LG: "Does the LG-34WK95U support Apple True Tone?"

Btw the True Tone support doc is here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208909

Thanks again!

Associate
Actually, the recent Asus and Acer high-refresh 4K monitors show that DP 1.4 can't do 120 Hz 4K. They start to lose precision at 96 Hz. They need the bandwidth of HDMI 2.1 for full 120 Hz 4k. And this monitor is 5K. Dell require two DP 1.4 cables for their 8K monitor.

Incorrect. Some seriously horrid reporting spread this nonsense around. DP 1.4 can and does on the X27 I own run 120 Hz 4K RGB Full, 8-bit color.

Associate
The panel is 8-Bit+FRC. Sending it a 10-bit signal doesn't gain you anything as it dithers it anyway so the point is moot. Hardly any computer monitors are true 10-bit, let alone gaming monitors.

Associate
Yes, I can't tell the difference in A-B comparison. Haven't heard of anyone with one saying there is a difference.

For this monitor, 5120x2160 at 90 Hz RGB 8-bit would be amazing.

Associate
Do we already know how the USB upstream will work?
The monitor has both USB-B (which I believe is confirmed to be the USB upstream) and Thunderbolt 3 (primarily for A/V and charging but technically could transmit other data too). Do both of them work as upstream? If so, that means the monitor kinda works like a KVM switch (similarly to some Dell monitors)?

Back
Top Bottom