LG 34wk95u 5120x2160

Associate
I seriously doubt it's been pushed back. Its support page just popped up and even the owner's manual is now available. Which also answers my question if it works as a KVM switch: yes, there are two USB upstreams (USB-B and USB-C/TB3) but you need to switch between them manually through the OSD. This is not ideal - I can imagine it could be switched based on the current video input but still better than nothing.

Associate
I was just looking through the users manual. Verified it at DP 1.4 and can run 5120x2160 @ 60 Hz. Also verified it had local dimming.

Daniel, do you know if this is direct lit local dimming or edge lit? It seems like the rear housing is quite thick which would imply direct lit. That would be amazing.

Associate
I was just looking through the users manual. Verified it at DP 1.4 and can run 5120x2160 @ 60 Hz.

Actually I have one question about that. My Laptop has DP 1.3. Will it still work at 5120x2160 @ 60 Hz? From checking the specs of DP 1.3 I don't see why that wouldn't work, but I just want to be sure. Also, the manual seems to say the DP has 3 modes: 1.4, 1.2, 1.1. No 1.3 support then? Not really sure what it means.

P.S.: My laptop has two DP 1.3 ports as well as Type C (but not Thunderbolt) if that helps. It also has HDMI but pretty sure I read HDMI doesn't support the full resolution at 60 Hz.

Associate
Hmm, that could be dodgy. DP 1.4 is DP 1.3, but with dynamic stream compression put on top of it. I honestly don't know if it would work properly.

Ya HDMI will only do "regular" 4K, not this wide full resolution at 60 Hz. Type C I believe can do the full resolution at 60 Hz, but with a really short cable.

Associate
@Daniel - LG, do you know anything about how the display will work with DP1.3? I have seen some people saying that the full resolution will be supported at 60Hz, but that HDR won't be supported over DP1.3. Do you know if that is true?

Associate
LG finally answered to my e-mail, after 2 weeks.

In regards to the monitor supporting the full resolution at 60Hz with HDR and 8bit+FRC through DP1.3, they say: ``From what I can see, this should be absolutely fine. However please note that there may be no video or audio output depending on the DP version of the PC. Also make sure to use the supplied DP cable of the product, as this may cause the device to malfunction.``

Not sure what ``However please note that there may be no video or audio output depending on the DP version of the PC.`` means.

Also, in regards to why they don't have a DP1.3 mode, they are only saying: ``We would be unable to advise on the design of a monitor regarding connection compatibility. This is something that would have been decided in the development stage, which is something we have no insight into.``

Finally, in regards to getting the signal to the monitor through two DP ports at once from a single PC, they say: ``As far as our senior technical advisers are aware, they do not believe this would be possible to do. This is entirely down to the graphics card not supporting it.``

Associate
Using things like audio over DP actually eats bandwidth, which could be limited due to the high bandwidth requirement of this display. Honestly I think the DP is 1.4, I'm not even aware of any DP 1.3 controllers. They all seem to be 1.4.

Associate
Using things like audio over DP actually eats bandwidth, which could be limited due to the high bandwidth requirement of this display. Honestly I think the DP is 1.4, I'm not even aware of any DP 1.3 controllers. They all seem to be 1.4.

Do you mean on my laptop? I'll send an e-mail to the manufacturer to clarify.

Associate
I've found this on a Spanish tech website, in an article posted yesterday: ``The new LG 34WK95U ultrawide monitor will be available in Spain in October, at a 1.199 euro sale price.``

Back
Top Bottom