LG 38GL950G - 3840x1600/G-Sync/144Hz

Associate

Fingers cross they will find the cause and hopefully fix it via a firmware update. Must be annoying sometimes.
I am sure I could live with it if I had this monitor but it would have to be a lot cheaper though.

Soldato
My gear has arrived and disappointingly, no Haribo!
But the OCUK were good to get this turned around more quickly considering the situation.

Will be setting up etc later this evening once Ive finished my work for the day....

Associate
Yep. Usb needs to be plugged in from PC to monitor for the software to work. Haven’t tried unplugging it once set up what you want it to do, but works pretty nicely and doesn’t seem to tax the system.

brill, thanks - and to all as it's helped me decide to get one of these bad boys, just need to tidy & prepare my desk now :eek:

Associate
Is this a good purchase currently? Or is it worth waiting for the two newly announced LG 38" monitors?
Currently run two 60hz IPS Dell Ultrasharp U2412m, which are now quite old, and looking to replace both with one monitor without losing screen real estate.

Been looking at this, but also looking at the LG 34GK950 \ AW3420DW as well.

Associate
i'm currently using one of those as well as i type for the last 5 years, good monitor. i'm thinking the 38GL950G is winning and it'll last but it's a big cost!

Good monitor right? Haha.

Something that makes me nervous with LG panels are the posts that it's a bit of a lottery in terms of the panel quality.

Soldato
Ok havent had a chance to setup the LG... but just put swapped the 2080 for the 2080 Ti.
Im actually more impressed than what I thought I would be... getting around 25-30fps extra out of this MSI Trio on CoD:MW.
Ive forced the resolution scaling up to match that of the LG just to gauge performance and actually Im getting better peformance than what I was getting with the 2080 at 3440x1440.

So its looking all good so far, just need to setup the LG tomorrow and make sure it ticks the boxes! Will you keep you updated folks.

Associate
Lets compare notes later on setup experience :)

Incidentally, does the USB go into the USB A or B slot on the back? Does it come with the USB cable I wonder (havent cracked it open yet).

Yep, they supply the cable. Think its about 2m long (I'm guessing, but long enough for my wall mount and arm to my PC which is sat on the floor) - it's A type at the PC and B type at the back of the monitor. If you remove the cable, then the Philips hue or ambilight style lighting stops functioning and you are left with the onboard options which are static colours with brightness/intensity control or the peaceful/dynamic demo style options. I'm quite happy with the static options tbh, but its all plugged in now and the video sync is actually pretty decent. Not quite as good as the Philips TVs, but still a nice addition.

I have to say, coming from a 49" CHG90 its nice to have so much on screen and smaller pixels - much more versatile, and the colours/crispness is excellent. Blacks and backlight are great too and no smearing. At first it seemed like it might be a downgrade with less width but in use it's showing it's superiority and with a 2080ti the frames are still in good nick at 3840x1600 (vs 3840x1080). Card is working harder though evident by the fan speed, so if you have troubles with temps then I could see it hitting limiters sooner. This monitor is keeper for sure and I'd only really say the CHG90 is superior for driving games because of the width. Also, can't hear a fan and had I not read it might be a thing then no way I'd ever notice there was one - maybe later in the summer I'll realise it's there. Mounts great on the wall too, nice and light weight with subtle curve giving me a bit more desk space. Loadsa money but would definitely recommended.

Soldato
Right update! All setup and so far so good, Im loving it.
Few niggles though...

1. Is it me or is does it seem that videos not recorded at 60fps) seem to flicker/ghost a bit? It looks very wierd and almost like a strobing effect.
2. Im not sure if its my imagination or if the lighting at the top starts to get a bit darker than the middle (simply put down to backlight effect?)
3. Any real benefit to run at 120Hz at 10bit compared to 144hz 8bit?
4. Are there any drivers for this panel?

Played a few games and general experience on this thing is killer....
144Hz is glorious.

Associate
1. Have you got yours set to "Fastest" response time? If so, set to "Fast".
2. I'm not seeing that on my panel - do you mean the screen itself or the lighting at the rear? I'm assuming the panel.
3. Think this will be user opinion, but for me I have settled with and prefer 8 bit @ 160hz (if not available, turn OC to off and then on again and look again)
4. Don't know, I wondered the same. I took the ICC from TFTCentral for the panel and then customised myself to land on what I thought looked like a calibrated display - bringing the brightness down was the main thing for me. There are drivers or software for the backlighting (worth installing) and for on screen control (not worth installing unless you want the screen split stuff for productivity)

EDIT: Changed my mind on 2. - I just set desktop to solid white and yes there is some dimming in the centre at the top. Pretty minor tho, and with anything other than a solid colour I wouldn't be able to tell.

Back
Top Bottom