LG 38GN950-B

Associate
For reference, I had this and the GL side by side.
Overall I feel the GN does feel better.

One thing folks, if I overclock to 160Hz what would I be losing out on exactly?

here we are, finally, so we take away from this false idea that gsync module is better than compatible gsync, it does NOT change anything.
Really reading about people still looking for 38GL is absurd, it does not make sense that monitor today with GN available

I read about your vignette problems, it looks like a lottery with these panels ... at this point I am very undecided, I would like to take 38GN but my 34GN has no problem,no vignette, no blb, very little ips glow, I don't know if I do well to sell it ...

Soldato
I think (and please correct me if I am wrong)... the Gsync module will allow compatibility with many more graphics Nvidia graphics cards compared to Gsync comaptible panels?

But definitely I would say there is no difference between the module and non-module version.
And if there is a difference, such a difference would need to recorded and analysed in millisecond timeframes.

Let me repeat. This is a lovely monitor and I would keep it if it wasnt for the Vignette effect.
Its a big shame.

Soldato
I think (and please correct me if I am wrong)... the Gsync module will allow compatibility with many more graphics Nvidia graphics cards compared to Gsync comaptible panels?

But definitely I would say there is no difference between the module and non-module version.
And if there is a difference, such a difference would need to recorded and analysed in millisecond timeframes.

Let me repeat. This is a lovely monitor and I would keep it if it wasnt for the Vignette effect.
Its a big shame.

The module version allows for variable overdrive and no LFC right down to 1Hz. The overdrive is very nice for emulator/console content if you're sensitive to overshoot.

That's about it as far as I can see.

Soldato
here we are, finally, so we take away from this false idea that gsync module is better than compatible gsync, it does NOT change anything.
Really reading about people still looking for 38GL is absurd, it does not make sense that monitor today with GN available

I read about your vignette problems, it looks like a lottery with these panels ... at this point I am very undecided, I would like to take 38GN but my 34GN has no problem,no vignette, no blb, very little ips glow, I don't know if I do well to sell it ...
Put it up on MM for a reasonable price, I'll take it
Been looking for a decent 4k 32"+ for a while but don't quite want to spend 800+.

Edit: woops you have no access to market... oh well

Soldato
A shame, isn't it? I wouldn't mind just nabbing a (such as SLIDEs) 34GN that was confirmed to have no panel issues either and waiting longer for newer tech.

my 27" is 6 years old now and one of them already died, so I don't know how much longer this one has.

Associate
One interesting thing about this monitor is that it supports 2560x1440 @ 120hz over HDMI (according to the manual). Theoretically that means you could hook it up to a PS5/XSX and still take advantage of high refresh rate + FreeSync (albeit with black bars).

99% of ultrawide monitors only support max 60hz in non-native resolutions and, since consoles don't support 21:9, that means ultrawides can't be a "do it all" for people who own a PC (for productivity) and a console (for gaming).

Would anybody mind validating this by checking that they can select 2560x1440 @ 120hz over HDMI and seeing if the PQ is acceptable?

Associate
Ok have it in front of me now, tested it a bit on the desktop and playing BF5. Great monitor.

Don't see much IPS glow. Littlebit vignetting especially on the top, but for me bearable.

However, two stuck pixels, visible on black background in right lower corner.:eek::(:mad:

One just above the taskbar and the other on the crossroads of 2 inch from the side and 3.5inch from the bottom. Tried the usual methods but doesn't seem to have helped unfortunately.

What to do? Sent it back? It is lot of money. On the other hand, they are hardly noticeable and only on black background if I am not mistaking.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ok have it in front of me now, tested it a bit on the desktop and playing BF5. Great monitor.

Don't see much IPS glow. Littlebit vignetting especially on the top, but for me bearable.

However, two stuck pixels, visible on black background in right lower corner.:eek::(:mad:

One just above the taskbar and the other on the crossroads of 2 inch from the side and 3.5inch from the bottom. Tried the usual methods but doesn't seem to have helped unfortunately.

What to do? Sent it back? It is lot of money. On the other hand, they are hardly noticeable and only on black background if I am not mistaking.

I refer you to my first initial post about it :)

Right off the bat, very happy, sometimes I think there could be a little vignetting (or just perhaps I am trying to find a problem where none exists!) but otherwise this is a very solid monitor and I honestly dont see any difference between it and the GL. Except of course this has no fan!
Im wondering about some people saying the stability of the monitor is not good, cant say I agree honestly, very solid for me!
The words "buttery" and "smooth" come to mind when I have the Gsync/adaptive sync on.
Will report more in the morning!

Except for the dead pixels of course, I couldnt see any on mine...
But the Vignette killed it for me. Like, especially at the top of the monitor.

Even if it was a cheaper monitor I wouldnt still keep it because of the Vignette... (but thats me of course).

In your case, if there is any question or hesitancy, I would send it back... its a £1500 monitor, my lounge TV is less than half that price... Id expect nothing but the best from a £1500 monitor....

Associate
I dont see any vignetting nor have any visual problems with my panel. I guess I got lucky and got what was advertised? IPS4life~

And on another note, Samsung recalled the G9 3-4 days ago.

Soldato
On brighter backgrounds you will notice it. Make a white only background and you will see darker patches around the sides. Notably at the top.

It's It's inh to the technology and type of panel. Reading more about it seems most have it. Although not all. You may have been lucky.

Associate
It doesn't exist in NanoIPS panels due to red phosphor decay issues. Those specs are wrong.
Linus tested it on the GL panel and measured 1ms @ the fastest setting, (it also introduced some image quality issues} . So I'm sure it's the same on the GN and WN95c.

Back
Top Bottom