LG 38GN950-B

Soldato
Yep the stand.
I mean if I hold the stand by the legs and give it a firm push... the monitor does wobble....

But if I am typing I cant see anything....

Do you guys see a vignette effect on yours?

Soldato
Ok so after a few days of using it, whilst I like the panel, the vignette effect is just a pain in the ass for me, back it goes Im afraid.

I have read quite a few reviews on reddit of people who have the same panel, they also claim the same thing is happening with theirs....

Shame since I really love it, but when I am browing, doing emails, writing documents, they are against brighter background and its like tunnel vision since the peripherary just seems that bit darker....

Associate
Ok so after a few days of using it, whilst I like the panel, the vignette effect is just a pain in the ass for me, back it goes Im afraid.

I have read quite a few reviews on reddit of people who have the same panel, they also claim the same thing is happening with theirs....

Shame since I really love it, but when I am browing, doing emails, writing documents, they are against brighter background and its like tunnel vision since the peripherary just seems that bit darker....

I have also been stalking reddit and it appears this happens on all of the samsung 38 models to varying degrees. Did you have the GL version as well ?

Associate
Been reading about all of this on reddit. Seems the newest business 38wn95c is the one to get. It’s aimed at business but has more connections and no g synch module and is even cheaper. What a mad world we live in that newest business model can almost do everything the gaming models could and be better.

mind you if it’s the latest version you can think the original is generation 1 with hardware g synch etc.

Soldato
Don't trust Acer that much... but if it's a GSYNC panel, expect fan noise.

Yep I fear you are right about that... depends on what panel they use also...

I just wonder if vignetting is a side effect of most IPS panels (Im using a VA panel at the moment).

Doesnt the WN support gsync compatible Azrael?

Associate
I think Im with you there Azrael, all the panels Ive had over the years have been VA...

I remember the kick ass DGM 24" :) What a monitor :)

I love the comments from people that they would rather kill themselves rather then ever use VA. Wonder how they ever coped with gaming on consoles on TVs where the majority is VA.

Plus I am lucky so buy and sell a lot of monitors and able to test them.

One example is destiny 2. On a IPS it is faster but then you always have the IPS glow. On black space games its very noticeable. Ruins the whole immersion thing. I love the 49 Va screens. They are just getting better and better. The new Flight sim game on 2 of my rigs !! I have 2 Xbox ultimate pass with 2.5 years left one for me and one for the kids.

Soldato
Just need to clarify... 49 VA? Which is that?

You know I have never come across the "IPS glow" phenomenon, or at least I dont know what I am looking for exactly!
For me the deal breaker was the frickin vignette...

But also I have to say that I am getting headaches everytime I use IPS panels....

Associate
Ahhh the Sammy 49 VA superultrawide mofo....

I mean running games at 5k x 1.4k.... thats gonna framerate surely?
Whats the point of 240hz in that case?

I think some gamers like those FPS which is fine however its a bit strange. As those gamers that love competitive fps gaming etc are better off with 24 and 27 inch monitors.

Reddit is a strange place. One of the person claims he can tell the difference between 120 and 144 Hz etc. It kills him to play at 120hz and not higher. Yeah I know strange people..

Have you experienced fully compatible games on a VA 49 super wide ? Nothing like it.

Soldato
I love the comments from people that they would rather kill themselves rather then ever use VA. Wonder how they ever coped with gaming on consoles on TVs where the majority is VA.

Plus I am lucky so buy and sell a lot of monitors and able to test them.

One example is destiny 2. On a IPS it is faster but then you always have the IPS glow. On black space games its very noticeable. Ruins the whole immersion thing. I love the 49 Va screens. They are just getting better and better. The new Flight sim game on 2 of my rigs !! I have 2 Xbox ultimate pass with 2.5 years left one for me and one for the kids.

Well, the problem with VA is viewing angles and black smearing. Both of which aren't as visible when console gaming from a distance, and far more noticeable when using it as a monitor, so I can't blame them for hating it.

Samsung is just the first to make a workable VA without that smear with the G7 and G9. The problem is the horrific grey uniformity in the G7 and that god damn curve...

21:9 is my limit personally. 32:9 sounds great but as most games don't let you adjust FoV to account for the huge horizontal space, you get the pincushion effect pretty bad in nearly every 3D game.

Back
Top Bottom