LG 38UC99 - 37.5'' 24:10 3840x1600 75Hz IPS FreeSync Strobing Backlight

Soldato
I wonder how long before the 75Hz barrier is cracked on this? It's certainly do-able from technical standpoint, but I get the sense they are hitting the ceiling with these panels right now, so it may be a while before we see faster. G-Sync may push to 100hz, but I shudder to think of the cost. Depending how VEGA turns out, I'd consider a switch to AMD (I wouldn't get a Freesync monitor at this price with my current 1080, just makes no sense to me), but I can't help but feel there are some niggling issues with the monitor given the price point... I'd love to see a greater Freesync range for a start. Linus' review is interesting.

I'm not too sure where linus is coming from with his review, I get the feeling he feels this screen is wasted without gsync and its too big which I admit it took a couple of days to get used to it but now I don't give it any thought,
the fury does ok on it but vega was very much in my sights when I bought the monitor, there are a few other youtube vids worth checking out

Soldato
I'm not too sure where linus is coming from with his review, I get the feeling he feels this screen is wasted without gsync and its too big which I admit it took a couple of days to get used to it but now I don't give it any thought,
the fury does ok on it but vega was very much in my sights when I bought the monitor, there are a few other youtube vids worth checking out

Yeah it needs VEGA for sure... so will be interesting to see how that performs and at what price. It's A LOT of money to spend on a Freesync monitor that maxes out at 75Hz, lovely though it is.

Associate
As i said previously in this thread, it's tempting to bite the bullet and i just did.

I just sold off my 34um95 for £450 so needed a replacement and these IPS certainly keep their value. Contacted Liam via the chat and they are currently happy to honor the January £100 off + free delivery, would recommend anyone jump on that quick before you discontinue that promise.

Will update the thread once i get it tomorrow, have a tinker and a few game-plays =)

Soldato
Personally, while tempted, I'm holding off until VEGA is released... if that's a big success at the right price, it makes this monitor FAR more attractive. If not however, then far less so. I'd also be concerned another monitor could be announced with this panel that would trump it.

Associate
Personally, while tempted, I'm holding off until VEGA is released... if that's a big success at the right price, it makes this monitor FAR more attractive. If not however, then far less so. I'd also be concerned another monitor could be announced with this panel that would trump it.

It's still worth buying in the merit that all these ips panels have great resell potential, even used you can still get around 8/10 of your money back

Soldato
It's still worth buying in the merit that all these ips panels have great resell potential, even used you can still get around 8/10 of your money back

Yes, that's valid. My concern is lack of a powerhouse AMD card to really push it, so I'll see what VEGA brings to the table. I get the sense it's going to get smashed by the 1080Ti however. Then again, we don't have a G-Sync equivalent to this monitor, and even when we do it's guaranteed to be considerably more expensive!

Soldato
Guys, before I take the plunge and buy this monitor, which looks better than the Samsung one, I have few questions.

Because I haven't used, any monitor less than 120hz since 2010, tried tonight to set the 2730Z to75hz (AMD custom resolution) and give it a try.
I set it on Windows, and set it in games (Division, World of Tanks) max 75fps.

The movement on the screen wasn't fluid. Even if the Nano generates around 55-60 fps on Division and 75 (both games capped their FPS on control panel) on WOT and Freesync was ON.
When I was moving or the enemies were moving, the movement was "in steps" tiny ones but clearly were there, and it bugged me.

Gave it a try more than an hour, switched windows and games back to 144, and everything was nice and smooth, while again the fps were 55-60 in Division, and 75 capped in WOT. (then unlocked WOT and got it back to normal 88-90)

Is this normal to 75hz monitors, are my eyes that cannot deal with lower refresh rates, or something else was wrong to my tests?

I would appreciate your thoughts.

Soldato
Guys, before I take the plunge and buy this monitor, which looks better than the Samsung one, I have few questions.

Because I haven't used, any monitor less than 120hz since 2010, tried tonight to set the 2730Z to75hz (AMD custom resolution) and give it a try.
I set it on Windows, and set it in games (Division, World of Tanks) max 75fps.

The movement on the screen wasn't fluid. Even if the Nano generates around 55-60 fps on Division and 75 (both games capped their FPS on control panel) on WOT and Freesync was ON.
When I was moving or the enemies were moving, the movement was "in steps" tiny ones but clearly were there, and it bugged me.

Gave it a try more than an hour, switched windows and games back to 144, and everything was nice and smooth, while again the fps were 55-60 in Division, and 75 capped in WOT. (then unlocked WOT and got it back to normal 88-90)

Is this normal to 75hz monitors, are my eyes that cannot deal with lower refresh rates, or something else was wrong to my tests?

I would appreciate your thoughts.

not had any of those problems myself apart from cs go, i found it best to turn off freesync and not limit the fps but to be honest high refresh monitors are a bit wasted on me as i cant notice much difference

Associate
I have not bothered with refresh rates much, but i will say, as a programmer and developer, the extra screen space is fantastic, being able to have more on screen is certainly a key aspect of this monitor and it feels very much a superior product upgraded from the 34" inch IPS (34um95)

I have only played DOTA 2 with this and due to valves new UI update, the resolution of 3840 x 1600 works flawlessly, i would certainly say that it provides a more immersive experience and it's at least an arms length away from myself when using so i am not turning my head constantly. I have a smaller 29" ips LG monitor next to it that's now tiny in comparison but both serve their purpose

Soldato
Dan have you guys considered a 75 Hz G-Sync version for us NVIDIA users? 60 Hz non-Gsync isn't cutting it for us! ;)

Won't be for a while yet, and LG have never done G-Sync as far as I'm aware, but perhaps Acer/Asus will take the panel and do something with it. I expect an insane price tag though. As a sidenote though, LG are working on a 144Hz version of this panel, but that won't be around for a while yet (2018 probably). If it comes without HDR, then it will perhaps feel a little dated come that time.

Associate
OP
Correct me if I am wrong, but due to the backlight strobing on the 38UC99, this will allow 75Hz on wither AMD or Nvidia?

That is correct. The largest problem with that though is 75 Hz is below the ~90-100 Hz or so flicker response threshold of most people. IE: the flicker is too noticeable for all but brief gaming use.

Back
Top Bottom