LG 38UC99 - 37.5'' 24:10 3840x1600 75Hz IPS FreeSync Strobing Backlight

Caporegime
Shame AMD don't have a top end GPU to actually drive this to the max. It's very tempting, but by the time VEGA comes out this will probably be cheaper and/or other alternatives available.

I switched from an X34 dude (I'm going to post a thread tomorrow about it) and I couldn't be happier! This is superior in almost every way (size/panel quality/sound etc), and I have gaming nearly at the level that the X34 provided (with a single 1080).

The best setting that I've found is for the pixel response to be set to 'Fast', the ULMB set to on but the real treat is that Fastsync pretty much eliminates tearing making it a bloody bloody good combination! Tried it with 1080 SLi and due to the fact I can't use Fastsync it wasn't as good an experience for me so I'm gonna sell one card and a single 1080 will do me for sure til Vega. I'd happily live with a single 1080 with this screen though, even beyond Vega :cool:

Hell, I love the settings so much I'm tempted to get a Titan XP for the short term ;) :D

Last edited:
Soldato
I switched from an X34 dude (I'm going to post a thread tomorrow about it) and I couldn't be happier! This is superior in almost every way (size/panel quality/sound etc), and I have gaming nearly at the level that the X34 provided (with a single 1080).

OK thanks... that's interesting actually, as I have an X34 myself. Be good to see your full review/feedback. Did you do any side by side comparison shots?

Associate
I sold my X34 to get one of these as well. Way better for productivity, having 1600px vertical makes a big difference. I was annoyed I couldn't get 75 Hz on the desktop without turning the Blur Reduction on though (fine for gaming... but not 24/7 use, gave me eye strain) so ended up just getting an AMD card. With FreeSync, the Fury seems to cope decently at this res actually, have to turn settings down in more recent games of course though. Can't wait for Vega...

I was surprised that going from 100 Hz to 75 Hz isn't a big of a downgrade as it seems. Just going from 60 to 75 provides a major boost in fluidity.

I would have held off for a possible G-Sync version but it looks like nothing is planned in the immediate future. I noticed TFTcentral mentioned a higher refresh rate version of the panel is in the works according to LG's roadmap but not coming until Q42017. Unless there are some surprises in store for CES it feels like G-sync is starting to lag behind with monitor developments...

Here is a pic:

gMic.png

Last edited:
Permabanned
I don't think LG has ever made a G-Sync monitor? They haven't jumped in the locked tech but just support the open tech. The ball is on nvidias side to start supporting VESA adaptive sync. It's a simple driver fix - they just need to pull their finger out.

I see it the other way: I am using an AMD graphics right now and if nvidia would release a GPU with Freesync I would have bought it already. Waiting for nvidia...

:)

Same here, I went with a freesync panel so I'm now waiting on Vega but if Nvidia supported freesync I'd order a GTX 1080 today and be done with it.

Permabanned
I noticed TFTcentral mentioned a higher refresh rate version of the panel is in the works according to LG's roadmap but not coming until Q42017.

I hope they get a wider free-sync range, I was waiting on this model but ended up with a 34" 35-75 hz panel from a gent on the MM as I kept thinking about how hard it'd be to keep games in side this ones 52-75 hz range.
I'm happy with the monitor I got so I'll wait to see what comes out next year and maybe 2018 too. Vega and Zens sure to keep me busy till then. :)

Soldato
I wonder how long before the 75Hz barrier is cracked on this? It's certainly do-able from technical standpoint, but I get the sense they are hitting the ceiling with these panels right now, so it may be a while before we see faster. G-Sync may push to 100hz, but I shudder to think of the cost. Depending how VEGA turns out, I'd consider a switch to AMD (I wouldn't get a Freesync monitor at this price with my current 1080, just makes no sense to me), but I can't help but feel there are some niggling issues with the monitor given the price point... I'd love to see a greater Freesync range for a start. Linus' review is interesting.

Last edited:
Soldato
Does anyone knows if ocuk has one on display? I would like to look at the monitor running at 75hz. Using all those years 120 or 144hz might not like it.
But surely looks much better than the cf791 it seems.

Back
Top Bottom