LG 42-inch OLED

Associate
I think you might have seen the 48" one, that ones in stock currently and £1399. The 42" is still £1299 and 1 week away on pre-order.

I think all 3 big suppliers probably will probably be shipping out units in the next week or two, since we know Mr richer has them in stock already (42")

Ah true, I'm an idiot, was on the 48" somehow.

Yeah hopefully, spoke to JL and they said that it's showing that they have the stock and should be processing deliveries in the next couple days. Hopefully that's correct.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Ah true, I'm an idiot, was on the 48" somehow.

Yeah hopefully, spoke to JL and they said that it's showing that they have the stock and should be processing deliveries in the next couple days. Hopefully that's correct.

Edited: this barcode trick no longer works and gives you the correct OLED panel information.

There is no easy method atm to see what panel you have.

Last edited:
Associate
Ive had the LG C2 42" on preorder with John Lewis since mid Feb. I contacted customer support today and they said there is a delay in stock and they ordered over 400 units yesturday.

They said the stock should arrive for dispatch in the next two weeks.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Ive had the LG C2 42" on preorder with John Lewis since mid Feb. I contacted customer support today and they said there is a delay in stock and they ordered over 400 units yesturday.

They said the stock should arrive for dispatch in the next two weeks.

good to know thanks, bit of a shame 2 weeks though hopefully they get it quicker.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
So are any of the 42s WBE or are they all WBC? Or don't we know yet?

Not looking good really, its looking like its using the WBC non Evo panels or the OLED panels from 2020/2021. VT mentioned probably this fall they will get updated to WBE Evo class panels.

Soldato
Unknown in seems as not enough in the wild yet. Would venture that these initial drops are all WBC if I had to guess. If I recall a motherglass sheet can be made up of all 42" models so may be for now 42" all coming from same line which may be WBC. Suppose we will see with more samples in the wild. I would also venture the fact that they said the 42" and 48" for that matter are being limited in brightness means that its easy to sell them as WBC and as production moves all over the WBE later in 2022 just cap them to the same level anyways as HDTV test pointed out (the capping part that is).

I think the problem here is confusion. I think LG display uses the term EX. LG Electronics uses the term EVO but they do not talk about the panel itself, infact they have gone to pains from what I have seen of not confirming that all the EVO panels are EX panels. Rather for LG electronics, the new chipset and software algorithm's is enough to say its EVO.

All that said, a spanner in all this is, Vincent at HDTV test is suggesting for C2 now anyways, regardless of the serial number the code is the same. This is him comparing a WBE 48" and WBC 42" both share the same code at the end which most would assume to be a WBC panel, but using his tools suggest its WBE, so the serial number no longer clearly lets you know what panel you have. Combine that with it not being in service menu, your not going to know what you have unless you have serious dosh for the gear to check the spectral distribution yourself :o

gMm2uXE.png

I think reality of it is, as a user with a C2 whatever panel it has is going to be capped to perform at specified levels. the question is the longevity really.

Caporegime
I think I'm leaning towards forgetting about it and just enjoying it. It's going to look amazing and be unique in terms of a large but usable desktop OLED display, so I'm not sure I'm all that fussed.

Soldato
I think I'm leaning towards forgetting about it and just enjoying it. It's going to look amazing and be unique in terms of a large but usable desktop OLED display, so I'm not sure I'm all that fussed.

Pretty much my thoughts, you will no doubt enjoy it. Desktop monitor with nice colours and inky blacks are awesome, not to mention surface area. Performance is the same as it would be capped either way. Difference is mostly longevity and even then plenty have driven post 2019 panels hard, myself included with a C9 with 2k+ hours of gaming on with HUD over the years and been okay. I think put in place few tweaks (like screen goes off if your not doing anything after 10 or so mins with HDMI sources) etc and your golden really.

Associate
Tried to edit the Home Screen, you can remove and move apps around but you can’t turn off the Trending, Streaming and other rows which is really annoying, fortunately I have a Apple TV 4K so don’t go into the Home Screen.

Soldato
I know it's such a pathetic minor thing, but manually turning off the TV with a remote everytime I started or turned off my PC would be an annoyance if I was using this as a desktop monitor.
I think the hdr, quality of picture, vrr, 4k and size would more than make up for that right?

You are right, it is pathetic.

Soldato
Tried to edit the Home Screen, you can remove and move apps around but you can’t turn off the Trending, Streaming and other rows which is really annoying, fortunately I have a Apple TV 4K so don’t go into the Home Screen.

Honestly the UI last few gens is a step back from C9 and whatever was on that. Tried to make it more complex and chuck more at you, give me back the simple banner at the bottom please! but yeah, do not spend too long in there so not a deal breaker. That said, watched some content outside gaming last night on it, picture seems even more crisp to be honest then my big C9. Suppose its down to the PPI mostly with the help of processor changes since then, but dang it looks really good.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Sounds like LG has gone to great effort to make it difficult to figure out which panel is used in the 42" C2 especially if you need a 7k meter to test and confirm it, maybe Calibrators could see it though.

The Evo panel is meant to last longer, less burn in and more electricity efficient wattage wise also. Its a real shame LG done this but at same time no one else has produced a better 42" TV on the market so will just have to enjoy it for what it is, no doubt this will be fixed in LG 42 C3 next year.

Soldato
Sounds like LG has gone to great effort to make it difficult to figure out which panel is used in the 42" C2 especially if you need a 7k meter to test and confirm it, maybe Calibrators could see it though.
That's because it's not meant to be a component you measure or compare, ultimately they have 2 supply chains for one product. People don't tend to open up their car and check whether the coolant pump is a Bosch model A or a Bosch model B, they buy the car and trust it meets the manufacturer's standard and specifications.

I appreciate it's different when you've spent 1k on a TV and you're talking about the panel, but remember LG's priority is to make then sell as many products that meet their QC as possible. It would be detrimental for them to demarcate half of those products as "inferior" for some reason.

Associate
Not looking good really, its looking like its using the WBC non Evo panels or the OLED panels from 2020/2021. VT mentioned probably this fall they will get updated to WBE Evo class panels.

Yeah charging rip off prices for it and with old panels will wait till Black Friday or even Jan 2023 before buying the LG 42 inch, still too big really for a PC monitor imo.

LG must be having a good laugh at all the profit from these, even at a £999 would need to think about it still very expensive.
Will look at 34 inch QD OLED later this year and hope to hear about 38 inch QD OLED in 2023.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom