LG 42-inch OLED

R3X

R3X

Soldato
RS replied to my email and agreed to accept return.
What a relief that is.
Again they were very nice to me.

Are you going to try another place like Curries?

You got the Sony 42" due I believe next month, id reckon they cherry pick the cleanest panel at least but heard it might be 1.7k+

A uk store has the pre-order up for the Sony 65" QD-OLED but its 4K, going by that even the 55" could be silly priced.

Wish they made an 40" type QD-OLED 4K option but not holding my breath, they seem to take ages to get things right.

Associate

You got the Sony 42" due I believe next month, id reckon they cherry pick the cleanest panel at least but heard it might be 1.7k+

A uk store has the pre-order up for the Sony 65" QD-OLED but its 4K, going by that even the 55" could be silly priced.

Wish they made an 40" type QD-OLED 4K option but not holding my breath, they seem to take ages to get things right.

no definitely not trying again but will keep an eye on that sony.
input lag is very important to me so if sony can match lg and provide more uniform panel then might give it a go.

Soldato

To be fair, while that is expensive, The LG G2, one of the strongest OLED's this year is £3.3k for 65". I suspect Samsung's own QD-OLED at 65" will be cheaper then Sony which is always priced premium so 3.6k - 3.7k or so. That is not really bad at all for a new emerging tech with low yields compared to established WOLED and I think much cheaper then what most people were expecting.

Even the QD-OLED gaming monitor is relatively solid price wise, I expect many were thinking it to cost way more.

But yeah hope to see smaller QD-OLED's, would have picked a QD-OLED up of similar size (34" too small for me) in a heartbeat over OLED tech tbh.

Soldato
It's not so much that third party manufacturers will cherry-pick (that implies they're willing to have panels they discard or use elsewhere), but that they are customers of LG Display. As customers they are then able to demand certain standards of quality/spec/tolerance are met for the products they buy. This might be different from one to the next e.g. Sony might demand a certain efficiency/brightness spec where Panasonic might demand a tighter colour uniformity. Point being, they can set different requirements than LG.

The flipside is, they are paying more per panel because a) they demand these standards and b) they are a customer, not a partner inside the same parent company. That's (one of the reasons) why Sony et al will charge more than LG for a device using the same panel.

Soldato
The flipside is, they are paying more per panel because a) they demand these standards and b) they are a customer, not a partner inside the same parent company. That's (one of the reasons) why Sony et al will charge more than LG for a device using the same panel.
slight nitpicking atmittedly but I believe LG (tv) is still a customer of LG Displays, it wont make any difference that they have the same parent company.
As you righty suggested, its about the tolerances etc that each customer requests - Sony and Panasonic have to have as many "differentiators" from each other as well as from LG TV option for the public

The separate question is whether the fact that LG (tv) is buying enough panels in total to get a better price than Sony/Panasonic due to the significant number of "worse" panels that are within LG (tv) 's agreed tolerance's but outside the other two (probably one major reason why LG have 4 or 5 models for every generation where Sony and Pana usually have one or two).

Soldato
Is anyone using a eARC Chain with surround sound / ATMOS? So from RTX GPU / RX GPU, into the TV, then from TV eARC out to a eARC capable AVR with the 42" or any new 2022 LG panel for that matter? If so any sound issues or glitch's, more so with ATMOS?

Reason I ask is C9 for main gaming setup I have uses that chain works great 95% of the time, but then has sound audio issues occasionally. Hoping its been resolved with new generation as want to replace C9 with G2 also.

Associate
My C2 42" arrived yesterday from Mr Lewis, very happy so far!

Not run specific uniformity tests yet, bit hesitant to do them as so far not noticed any uniformity issues at all since using it. Will do soon to make sure as it's the sensible thing to do in case at some point I do notice something in general use, but for now ignorance is certainly very blissful!

Just 2 issues so far:
When waking my PC or booting it up (3070) I'll almost always get the 'No Signal' screen when using 120hz HDR and 'HDMI Deep Colour' setting on the TV. Have to switch 'HDMI Deep Colour' back and forth a good few times until eventually it decides to work.
Pretty annoying, tried a couple things like a suggestion of disabling 'Fast Boot', turned PC sleeping to Never, but doesn't seem like there's any workaround currently :( Seems to be a common one going back to the CX series from googling.

The VRR flicker on grey backgrounds is certainly noticeable and painful when you see it happening. Only noticeable when the framerate is fluctuating heavily, which in games is rare but certain loading screens and game menu screens make it go wild.

Colours are gorgeous though, and already starting to love the size (came from a 27") having a few nice big windows open around the screen. Only really notice the brightness dimming when I fullscreen a small bright window, which hopefully I wont be doing too often.

Definitely need a bigger desk for this thing mind, bit too close with my current one.

Associate
Purchased a 65" Panasonic JZ980 yesterday from Costcow for £999. If the panel is good I think I'll use it for gaming on my PC (RTX 3080) and consoles and as a large secondary monitor.

I currently have a 2017 65" LG OLED which is obviously lacking 4K 120Hz, VRR and other features that the Panasonic has.

I'm not happy that the 42" LG C2 still has the WBC panel (non-EVO) when LG advertised it having an EVO panel.

Last edited:
Soldato
My C2 42" arrived yesterday from Mr Lewis, very happy so far!

Not run specific uniformity tests yet, bit hesitant to do them as so far not noticed any uniformity issues at all since using it. Will do soon to make sure as it's the sensible thing to do in case at some point I do notice something in general use, but for now ignorance is certainly very blissful!

Just 2 issues so far:
When waking my PC or booting it up (3070) I'll almost always get the 'No Signal' screen when using 120hz HDR and 'HDMI Deep Colour' setting on the TV. Have to switch 'HDMI Deep Colour' back and forth a good few times until eventually it decides to work.
Pretty annoying, tried a couple things like a suggestion of disabling 'Fast Boot', turned PC sleeping to Never, but doesn't seem like there's any workaround currently :( Seems to be a common one going back to the CX series from googling.

The VRR flicker on grey backgrounds is certainly noticeable and painful when you see it happening. Only noticeable when the framerate is fluctuating heavily, which in games is rare but certain loading screens and game menu screens make it go wild.

Colours are gorgeous though, and already starting to love the size (came from a 27") having a few nice big windows open around the screen. Only really notice the brightness dimming when I fullscreen a small bright window, which hopefully I wont be doing too often.

Definitely need a bigger desk for this thing mind, bit too close with my current one.

Sounds awesome. Yes unfortunately that no signal thing happens going back even further. Need to do the same thing occasionally, though I toggle instance response off and on on my c9 as it's instant compared to deep black option to get things working again. Annoying LG not fixed it this many generations later or worked with Nvidia or something considering the have gsync stamped on TV.

Associate

Just checked review of Sony A90J on rtings website and they have considerably higher input lag than LG TVs and I don’t think that’s going to improve much when they release 42” version so won’t be buying that.
Maybe I’ll try again C2 at the end of the year where hopefully quality will improve or maybe the newer (EX) panels will make a difference.
I will miss it when I return it tomorrow as playing games and watching movies on it is top notch.

Associate
Is anyone using a eARC Chain with surround sound / ATMOS? So from RTX GPU / RX GPU, into the TV, then from TV eARC out to a eARC capable AVR with the 42" or any new 2022 LG panel for that matter? If so any sound issues or glitch's, more so with ATMOS?

Reason I ask is C9 for main gaming setup I have uses that chain works great 95% of the time, but then has sound audio issues occasionally. Hoping its been resolved with new generation as want to replace C9 with G2 also.

I do exactly that with my 55CX, though I have no ATMOS (and admittedly only running ARC due to the age of my AV equipment). Occasional drops where the TV goes back to its own speaker on start up but otherwise works as intended. What makes up your 5% where it doesn't work?

Soldato
I do exactly that with my 55CX, though I have no ATMOS (and admittedly only running ARC due to the age of my AV equipment). Occasional drops where the TV goes back to its own speaker on start up but otherwise works as intended. What makes up your 5% where it doesn't work?

Effectively the sound just drops out and then I need to restart the game, gets annoying. Happens only occasionally but annoying enough. I need to then go to speaker settings and fiddle around with that. ATMOS is even worse in terms of cutting in and out, a shame as some games, like Gears of War's 5 sound amazing with Atmos. I was thinking it was because LPCM came out as a update for the C9 as I know others get issues for C9 so was hoping new stuff would resolve what I see.

Associate
Sounds awesome. Yes unfortunately that no signal thing happens going back even further. Need to do the same thing occasionally, though I toggle instance response off and on on my c9 as it's instant compared to deep black option to get things working again. Annoying LG not fixed it this many generations later or worked with Nvidia or something considering the have gsync stamped on TV.

Ah anything to speed up the process would be amazing! On the verge of returning it pretty much just from this, sometimes have had to flick back and forth for a good couple minutes before it works..

Looking around in the settings I think they may have removed the Instant Game Response setting? Although I see you've got a C2, have you found the setting/an equivalent in the C2 settings?

Have it on my CX but different menu on there.

Might be tied into the Game Optimiser setting, which apparently turns HDMI Deep Colour on when you set it to on, but doesn't turn it off when you switch it off, so flipping it doesn't seem to work for this..

Would love a quicker way if there is one for the C2/C1 interface.

Last edited:
Associate
Anyone know where the HDMI deep colour mode is hidden in the menus on the C2s?

I think mine was enabled automatically but I can't find the per-HDMI input settings menu that's present on the CX.

General > Devices > HDMI Settings ;)

Having to spam it every time I turn my PC on/wakes up, engrained in my memory already now.

Soldato
Ah anything to speed up the process would be amazing! On the verge of returning it pretty much just from this, sometimes have had to flick back and forth for a good couple minutes before it works..

Looking around in the settings I think they may have removed the Instant Game Response setting?

Might be tied into the Game Optimiser setting, which apparently turns HDMI Deep Colour on when you set it to on, but doesn't turn it off when you switch it off, so flipping it doesn't seem to work for this..

Would love a quicker way if there is one for the C2/C1 interface.

Ah crap, may have tweaked it then. Use my 3090 with C9 where they separate Instant game response and deep colour out. just 1080Ti with the 42" so did not realise they removed they combined the option on C2.

I can see however without any signal G-Sync & VRR slider is still togglable in the game optimiser, does that work?

Anyone know where the HDMI deep colour mode is hidden in the menus on the C2s?

I think mine was enabled automatically but I can't find the per-HDMI input settings menu that's present on the CX.

Its under General --> Devices --> HDMI Settings --> HDMI Deep colour

Associate
Ah crap, may have tweaked it then. Use my 3090 with C9 where they separate Instant game response and deep colour out. just 1080Ti with the 42" so did not realise they removed they combined the option on C2.

I can see however without any signal G-Sync & VRR slider is still togglable in the game optimiser, does that work?

Looks like that does work thanks! Marginally quicker ha.

Seems to sometimes not show the display regardless of the VRR setting being on or off, had the display show for off once, then no signal for both for a while, then got the VRR on to stick. I guess as it's not adjusting the HDMI bandwidth (?) it's just doing a quick reset rather than full on change kind of thing.

Mad that it's still not fixed, saw someone even mention a B7 when I was searching about the issue! Wonder who it lies with, LG, Nvidia, Microsoft.. although did see someone say they were running Linux and had same problem.

Associate
I wonder if it'd be possible to get around it using settings in Windows rather than the TVs settings. Since I have my Macbook and PS5 connected with HDMI Deep Colour on for both, and have zero issues with them.

Thinking maybe having the resolution/refresh rate/G-Sync turned down/off initially and then a script or something that switches them once you're in.

Or if it's a more fundamental problem with the GPU + TV itself.

Also half hoping it's a Windows 10 issue, and that maybe Windows 11 will solve it, although think that's very wishful thinking.

Soldato
These sorts of issues described above, I only ever have when the PC has gone to sleep. Never on clean boot.

Considering since Windows 10, "shut down" is just hibernating, maybe it's that? I have my computers set to actually shut down.

Back
Top Bottom