LG 42-inch OLED

Associate
It's indeed not inherent to OLED if you don't suffer from nausea with your CX. This nausea/cyber sickness highly likely is because of TruMotion. Disable it and you no longer should have nausea.
In fact, I have my A7V more about 3.5 years or more and never suffered nausea. I did notice some idiotic motion when watching 23fps movies/series being rendered like 100fps or something. I immediatly disabled it after a few minutes of setting the tv up. I can not tolerate that ****. I like to keep framerates original. High framerates movies/series feels so unnaturel and stupid to me.

The next day when I disabled TruMotion on my 42C2, I longer suffer from nausea. I sat about 60cm too.

And oh, years ago I had a wall lamp that flickered. You can't see the flickering when you look straight to it but I suffered from headache. Something with the dimming frequencies when the lamp is dimmed at lower brightness.

Nah I've had TruMotion disabled since the moment I set the TV up, and am using Game Optimiser mode with latency at Boost, and have it set to PC in the Home dashboard.

Pretty sure there isn't a TV setting in particular that I have set to blame (other than playing with brightness/contrast).

Last edited:

R3X

R3X

Soldato
You're probably mistaken, it's not the VRR flicker I'm talking about. It's the PWM dimming. My current monitor uses DC dimming.
For example, open yt app and use the grey testing and use your smartphone camera. You'll see and understand what I mean.

Gave it a test with YT tried 2 grey scale videos test, both of them ran from 0, 10, 20 all the way to 100% grey scale slides but could not see any flicker on my smart phone camera, is there a specific grey video test?

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Saw suggestions of reducing blue light, but reading more into that it seems there's currently no science suggesting blue light influences eye strain or cyber sickness, just with the circadian rhythm.

I wouldn't be able to use my 42" without Flux app, the brightness would immediately give me eye strain and headache. Windows night mode does similar and so does LGs blue light mode but they are not as good as Flux is, Flux can go across the entire spectrum and is easily adjustable.

https://justgetflux.com/

I would not say its the brightness that gave me any motion sickness though but give flux a try, but sure as you can see in the last few comments and pages we now have the VRR flicker, Power flicker, motion settings (which you have off anyhow) and then you just got that OLED pixel motion where its instant response which can throw people off.

It is very strange though you got on fine with the CX and not C2, I came from CX to C2 and seem to be ok, I don't get sea, flight or coach sickness since I am on hayfever tablets (same stuff almost as motion sickness tabs) daily so that could explain that.

Associate
OP
Gave it a test with YT tried 2 grey scale videos test, both of them ran from 0, 10, 20 all the way to 100% grey scale slides but could not see any flicker on my smart phone camera, is there a specific grey video test?
Discard my other reply, it was a bad example. It seems it depends on smartphone camera or any other camera.

This one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASmyW360usc

I'm in the team 'PWM affected people'. Though I don't have migraine.

Associate
OP
Nah I've had TruMotion disabled since the moment I set the TV up, and am using Game Optimiser mode with latency at Boost, and have it set to PC in the Home dashboard.

Pretty sure there isn't a TV setting in particular that I have set to blame (other than playing with brightness/contrast).
Hmm, then I guess there are some (rare) cases where people can be extra sensitive. Talking about bad luck.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
This guy reckons you can leave Tone mapping on since it doesn't effect dark crush. I found it makes a good difference once left on, but then like Vincent and Phil recommend its best to switch off tone mapping.

Man of Honour
This guy reckons you can leave Tone mapping on since it doesn't effect dark crush. I found it makes a good difference once left on, but then like Vincent and Phil recommend its best to switch off tone mapping.

That recommendation is more about keeping the image true to “artistic intent”, but there’s no harm in using dynamic tone mapping if you find you prefer the image. Personally I prefer it enabled on my CX as it helps make darker areas a bit brighter which is useful in daytime / fairly well lit room conditions.

Associate
OP
Great video, almost feels like the issues ignored since only the few notice it which should not be the case.

I wonder if the QD-OLEDs solve this issue.
I know, right? Back in 2019 I tried two OLED monitors and the last one, the headache started literally within 15 minutes. Those who are sensitive to that what's in the video, the issues are serious.
I used the Huawei Mate 20X camera and the result is shocking.

I doubt QD-OLEDs solve this issue. I hope it will but it would be great if there will be 16:9 too.

But, I'm actually very happy with my current VA monitor. Near perfect screen uniformity, lovely colors and great contrast. Of course not OLED-level but much better than IPS.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
That recommendation is more about keeping the image true to “artistic intent”, but there’s no harm in using dynamic tone mapping if you find you prefer the image. Personally I prefer it enabled on my CX as it helps make darker areas a bit brighter which is useful in daytime / fairly well lit room conditions.

Yeah this was what I was thinking also, when I leave DTM switched on it does give me back a lot of my lost black shadow detail even in pitch black viewing.
I will test this though after a good 200-300 hours usage when I drop black levels back to defaults.

But I do know with my CX, I had some white flashing issues in films, especially with start of funeral scene in batman vs superman with leaves flying in opening credits with DTM off it fixed it and others had that same issue. Not sure if DTM was just buggy though. Edit just checked it with DTM on with C2 no flashing or issues same film.

Guess as you say if its not causing issue and looks good why not have it on.

Vincent few days ago feels very strong on DTM should be off, feels like being told off by the headmaster!
VBH7PR.jpg

Man of Honour
Well there’s creative intent and personal preference to what you feel looks better and suits your viewing conditions. Creative intent would also mean watching HDR in a fully dark room for instance which is prob unrealistic conditions for an average user. I’m not arguing with Vincent that it’s then not “accurate” but I don’t personally think it’s a problem for most users

Soldato
Well there’s creative intent and personal preference to what you feel looks better and suits your viewing conditions. Creative intent would also mean watching HDR in a fully dark room for instance which is prob unrealistic conditions for an average user. I’m not arguing with Vincent that it’s then not “accurate” but I don’t personally think it’s a problem for most users
Absolutely but that's for the users to decide. If you're a calibrator you have a technical tole to fulfil, not a creative or personal one.

Edit: I'm not saying you shouldn't use DTM, quite the opposite, personal preference rules. Can't see the wider discussion on Twitter to know the context beyond calibration.

Man of Honour
Absolutely but that's for the users to decide. If you're a calibrator you have a technical tole to fulfil, not a creative or personal one.

Edit: I'm not saying you shouldn't use DTM, quite the opposite, personal preference rules. Can't see the wider discussion on Twitter to know the context beyond calibration.
no i'm not sure of the background either. FWIW i would absolutely agree you'd want to turn DTM off when calibrating HDR mode, i do that when calibrating these screens using Calman and professional equipment. otherwise it would def mess up the measurements and corrections. but the user can then decide if they want to go with "accurate creator intent" mode later, or turn DTM back on if they find it looks better and helps with brighter room conditions than were intended by the creator :)

Soldato
Hey guys is there any way to change the screen saver on this screen? I can't find anything in the general options menu, which is where I was sure it was located before.

In app list there is a "Art gallery" App. Can tweak things in there.

So in short is this TV worth getting for £1400, im shocked to read some suffering from nausea

Not too surprising tbh, big screen which takes up more of your vision if using as a monitor and some people in general prone to issues may see problems. I have no issues with the motion settings cranked up and 70cm away, but others get sick from it, all depends on person. Of course can turn off a number of motion settings if it does impact you and some in thread seen success.

In terms of worth it is going to depend on the person. Its worth it for me though I did only pay £1100 in the end for it, but worth every penny for me so far in terms of work and gaming. Hard to go back tbh. Its not cheap and of course at £1400 price its gone up too, can understand if people want to wait. There is no real competition too it at the moment and the Sony which will likely come out will be even more expensive. There is the QD-OLED of course, but quiet different in size and resolution.

Soldato
As a note if anyone was interested as keeping eye out for brother to get one. Its a bit of a pain compared to upfront saving, but from tomorrow get cashback on all 2022 models purchased from most places until 1st of June. Will get £100 cashback with the 42" https://www.lgtvcashback.com/

Currently best retailer is LG direct from there site as they have a 2% off then 5% off voucher if you make an account with them which will knock 42" down to £1300 then with the above cashback will come in around £1200.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Some early reports are coming in on the Sony 42", appears Sony processing and cpu is been upped a lot for 2022 and the 42" was noticeable sharper and detailed then the aj90 flagship from last year, they do say they are using an thermal control system and an "high luminance panel"
maybe that means the WBE panel who knows.

I would have liked to go with the Sony but I know its going to come with that price tag also.

Back
Top Bottom