LG 48CX OLED - 4K 120 Hz

Caporegime
I'm just in the process of calibrating with a Spyder 5 Express. I'm doing the calibration in game mode (not HDR) and am wondering, how will this be affected when the screen switches to HDR - do I have to copy the gamma and colour settings that I changed for SDR?

I'm using Display Cal.

If you are after "perfection" always best to calibrate in sdr and then calibrate in HDR mode. Well that is my experience from HDR monitors anyway. Then quick flick between your profiles depending what you are doing. Of course some screens there may be little difference between the two anyway in which case you can just use one.

Soldato
If you are after "perfection" always best to calibrate in sdr and then calibrate in HDR mode. Well that is my experience from HDR monitors anyway. Then quick flick between your profiles depending what you are doing. Of course some screens there may be little difference between the two anyway in which case you can just use one.

Cool, I'll do both and see what difference it makes. Cheers :)

Caporegime
Btw I use Displaycal to calibrate my screens as well instead of the free software with the spyder. Its easy in displaycal to switch between calibrations rather than have to go delving in windows settings.

Soldato

I didn't think HDR used a profile, Windows 10 shows no profile loaded once enabled.

Soldato
I had to turn the brightness up to get the slider in the middle for Display Cal, and it resulted in blacks turning to grey. The calibrated finished article doesn't look good at all so I've reverted back to the suggested settings from the Reddit thread.

Associate
A couple of questions about the CX in windows 10

1) I’ve recently noticed fonts with windows 10 hdr on (Nvidia drives set to RGB, 10 bit, full) don’t look as sharp as with HDR turned off. I don’t remember this being the case. Is this a known issue or are you guys able to keep the same font quality with HDR on?

2) Recently installed Mass Effect Andromeda and Dolby Vision makes the screen go black until rebooted. Is there a fix for this?

I’m using an RTX 3090 with Currys gold HDMI 2.1 cable in PC input on the CX with PC 4K/120hz resolution

thanks

Soldato
Fonts look fine in HDR for me but a while ago when I first got the OLED I noticed the same DV behaviour in Andromeda - google search seemed to suggest it was a long standing problem with the frostbite engine and nvidia drivers.

Associate
Fonts look fine in HDR for me but a while ago when I first got the OLED I noticed the same DV behaviour in Andromeda - google search seemed to suggest it was a long standing problem with the frostbite engine and nvidia drivers.

I worked out the font issue. HDR was defaulting to Standard not Game mode. I did wonder why it looked brighter than before. Still cant get the Dolby Vision to work in Mass Effect, I guess it was an issue that was never resolved.

Soldato
I'm considering getting out of PC gaming and buying a console instead. Are any of you using this screen with a PS5 or Series X? I'd be interested in which console is best to match it up with?

Is HDR implementation OK?
Do any of them do VRR?

Caporegime
I'm considering getting out of PC gaming and buying a console instead. Are any of you using this screen with a PS5 or Series X? I'd be interested in which console is best to match it up with?

Is HDR implementation OK?
Do any of them do VRR?

Are you crazy!??? Either next-gen console would be *perfect* with this TV!!! Just toss a coin man :D

Caporegime
Oh £1000 for the 42" would be lovely. However I cant see it. You only have to see how much of a premium the 48" is over the 55" despite been smaller but its the pixel size which adds the extra cost.

The 42" is even smaller pixel size so unfortunately should be more money than a 48" screen. Unless they have suddenly found a really cheap way of making the oleds smaller.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Unless they have suddenly found a really cheap way of making the oleds smaller.

That is exactly what LG have done, its mentioned in the video LG are using a new factory processing system so unlike with 48" panels and other sizes they won't be wasting materials/glass and parts like they are currently doing hence the higher cost 48" screens, so the end result is quicker and much cheaper production of odd size OLED panels like the 31,42,48 etc

LG are doubling their OLED production this year due to overwhelming lock down sales of people wanted the best looking window, tech chatter is suggesting LG want OLED to be in everyone's homes, this is perhaps a good starting point.

Caporegime
I suppose it depends how much they want to dominate the high-end monitor market, hopefully they'll be this aggressive with the pricing!

Also these TV's don't need a module, they're slippery smooth on using either brand of card :cool:

Back
Top Bottom