LG 48CX OLED - 4K 120 Hz

Soldato
This is interesting, maybe I'd be better pairing this with my Vega64 as opposed to my 1080ti? At least until new gen comes out?

My screen arrives on Saturday and I'm just getting some prep work organised; would someone be able to list a comprehensive set up guide? It would be handy to have something in the OP.

Hmm, that's a tough one. I'm tempted to say freesync on the Vega64 will be superior, but it depends which games you play. Some games the 1080ti has a large advantage, though with most games the Vega can be within 5-10%.

The most important settings (IMO) are as follows:

1. Game mode on TV
2. Logo luminance to max
3. Screen saver enabled
4. Edit the HDMI connection and set to PC (the icon for the connection in the menu's)
5. Enable Freesync/Gsync
6. Connect TV to internet. Check for software update, and set updates to automatic (it won't actually install an update until you completely turn off/on)
7. Disable onboard speakers (assuming you're using headset/external speakers)
8. Remember to turn on HDR in windows when playing a HDR enabled game, or watching HDR movie/TV (you can inspect the media file properties to look for BT 2020 colour to know if it's actual HDR or not). Also need to turn off HDR when you've finished with your HDR content, as windows/2d/normal games will look washed out.
9. Most HDR games require you to toggle HDR on in the menus, if you don't do this the game looks washed out without proper blacks
10. ENJOY! :D

My personal OLED light/brightness options>

HDR gaming/movies (for those games that do support it) > OLED light maximum, Eco mode off
Standard gaming/non HDR movies/TV > Eco mode energy saving to medium
2D/work/browser/desktop > Eco mode energy saving to maximum

The 'energy saving' option just reduces the OLED light setting by predefined amounts. The brighter the screen, the more likely burn in would be. IMO only HDR games and HDR movies need the maximum OLED light.

The OLED light setting will be personal preference and will depend upon ambient light in your room, type of blinds/curtains etc, the above works well for me :)

Last edited:

R3X

R3X

Soldato
I have the TV in front of me, and can confirm that logo's get noticeably dimmer when the logo setting is enabled. Perhaps the review was using a older firmware?

I think it's worth acknowledging that there is no perfect monitor, all have their own issues. All I can say is that no monitor comes close to the picture quality, and production quality of these screens.

Thanks that is great to hear yeah I did wonder why cnet maybe using an older firmware or oled, very true with all screens.

I heard when you enable pc mode on the hdmi, many of the great functions are greyed out so you can't play back film or tv shows as good as it normally would be? someone posted that on the avforums but did not get a response, but I like your settings sounds similar to what I almost do, I take it you can flick between those 3 different settings at a touch of a single button?

Soldato
Thanks that is great to hear yeah I did wonder why cnet maybe using an older firmware or oled, very true with all screens.

I heard when you enable pc mode on the hdmi, many of the great functions are greyed out so you can't play back film or tv shows as good as it normally would be? someone posted that on the avforums but did not get a response, but I like your settings sounds similar to what I almost do, I take it you can flick between those 3 different settings at a touch of a single button?

If that is the case wouldn't a temp fix for that be to run 2 HDMI from your PC to your TV. One for your labeled PC port and one to use for shows on Netflix and similar? It's a bit crude but should get around the problem.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
If that is the case wouldn't a temp fix for that be to run 2 HDMI from your PC to your TV. One for your labeled PC port and one to use for shows on Netflix and similar? It's a bit crude but should get around the problem.

That is a good idea, but I suspect the reason why It was not answered on avforums when asked is maybe you don't have to enable pc mode as the hdmi source? maybe you can select another source type or better yet maybe you can simply select custom presets on the remote and maybe the custom presets can save the hdmi mode also.

I run all my tv series and movies via PC so this was a worry of mine, hopefully one can still enable all the lg oled features to enjoy it fully.

Soldato

Yeah easy to swap between modes with the awesome magic remote!

R3X

R3X

Soldato
@R3X when you thinking of buying this tv ?.
im trying my hardest to wait for ps5/nvidia cards to come out first before i have another look around.

Its very tempting to get it from C right now since its available at least, I don't really have much of a choice since my old telly died and am using a super thick heavy LCD that is 20 years old !

Staying more inside or working at home the temptation to buy is far worse perhaps, but if you can wait till Ps5/nvidia arrives in a few months time then happy days really, by then prices may be cheaper and Sonys 48 inch oled and cx48 probably in plenty stock with black friday deals.

Associate
Its very tempting to get it from C right now since its available at least, I don't really have much of a choice since my old telly died and am using a super thick heavy LCD that is 20 years old !

Staying more inside or working at home the temptation to buy is far worse perhaps, but if you can wait till Ps5/nvidia arrives in a few months time then happy days really, by then prices may be cheaper and Sonys 48 inch oled and cx48 probably in plenty stock with black friday deals.

first time I’ve heard about Sony’s 48inch ?
Just hoping this LG comes down in price by november

Last edited:

R3X

R3X

Soldato
first time I’ve heard about Sony’s 48inch ?
Just hoping this LG comes down in price by november

Yup google this:
BRAVIA KD48A9BU (2020) 48 inch OLED

I believe this sonys using the same LG oled panel as the LG cx48, I read some are waiting on its release hopefully August/September to see if its going to help with prices but it could be more expensive, also specs are not 100% I believe, sony could also be better with smoother picture processing since its there strong suite.

Yeah november and black friday and early xmas sales would be the best time possible.

Caporegime
Yup google this:

I believe this sonys using the same LG oled panel as the LG cx48, I read some are waiting on its release hopefully August/September to see if its going to help with prices but it could be more expensive, also specs are not 100% I believe, sony could also be better with smoother picture processing since its there strong suite.

Yeah november and black friday and early xmas sales would be the best time possible.

Its £200 more expensive than the LG so can't see it will help with the prices.

Associate
So looking into the future a few months forward would it be sensible to keep my dell monitor for web browsing etc and whatever tv screen I get to use purely for ps5/pc gaming ?
And if that’s the case how would I stop any home screen/taskbar showing on the tv screen if running dual monitor setup ?

R3X

R3X

Soldato
So looking into the future a few months forward would it be sensible to keep my dell monitor for web browsing etc and whatever tv screen I get to use purely for ps5/pc gaming ?
And if that’s the case how would I stop any home screen/taskbar showing on the tv screen if running dual monitor setup ?

feels that is the best choice but its up to you, right click the taskbar at bottom of screen > taskbar settings > automatically hide task bar in desktop mode
also to hide it on 2nd screen after clicking taskbar settings scroll further down to multiple displays > disable show taskbar on all displays

R3X

R3X

Soldato
The Sony invariably won't have as low of input lag/game features as the CX. Probably won't even have VRR at all.

Its £200 more expensive than the LG so can't see it will help with the prices.

Just wishful thinking maybe its pre-order prices/specs, would be nice if both compete and prices drop.

I am still intrigued with Sony and if they can offer a smoother picture playback with there X-Motion Clarity technology then the LG oled panel.

Soldato
Yup google this:

That Sony doesn't have Freesync or Gsync, so won't even be a competitor to the CX.

Back
Top Bottom