LG 48CX OLED - 4K 120 Hz

Associate
You should never pay for extra warranty for something that must be covered by default. There is no way you would lose if you made a "TV not fit for purpose" argument through small claims court. Don't let companies get away with stuff like that.

Plus the wording on their terms is quite tricky. I think you stand the same chance of getting your money back without too much hassle through your home contents insurance which is basically the same thing. Total scam imo.

Not everyone has or needs home contents insurance, also, do you know how much hassle it is to go through small claims court?, the onus is all on you to prove everything you claim, meanwhile the time off work to prepare and get everything ready before you even think of attending court....

£140 for total peace mind, zero time spent...

Some of us can loose thousands just missing a single day of work....for some of us, its economical sense to just take the 5 years peace of mind for £140 and know in future, any issues and its sorted, no time wasted or wages lost on "hopes of going to court".

Associate
Wait what?

I know I am not the only one, but I have been in direct sales now for about the last decade, commission only sales. No sick pay, no paid leave etc etc. A day off work is a potential lost sale, and in my particular line of sales, 2k for a mornings work is possible, the most I have cleared is about 5k in a week, of course I have also made £250 in a week. The point is, you never know when the next day off is the one that's gonna cost you the most....

Hence, I would much rather pay £140 and know I will never need loads of time off sorting out a TV issue, and indeed not have to WORRY about it either, peace of mind and good nights sleep is also paramount to my line of work, a good positive mindset before going into a clients home is everything.

Soldato
Not everyone has or needs home contents insurance, also, do you know how much hassle it is to go through small claims court?, the onus is all on you to prove everything you claim, meanwhile the time off work to prepare and get everything ready before you even think of attending court....

£140 for total peace mind, zero time spent...

Some of us can loose thousands just missing a single day of work....for some of us, its economical sense to just take the 5 years peace of mind for £140 and know in future, any issues and its sorted, no time wasted or wages lost on "hopes of going to court".
If your time was so valuable you wouldn't be here posting and its not always about money. I care more about companies taking me for a chump than losing some time and money.

Associate
Dude, you don't need to take a week off work in order to write an email or make a phone call to progress an insurance claim.

You must be terrified to go for a poop in that job. :D

LOL, you must be joking, gl with a single phone call or email to get anyone moving, especially when it involves companies spending a pretty penny to put things right, cause they have your peace of mind and best interests at heart after they taken your hard earned, making sure everything is speedy and painless as possible....

The levels of stress you have to endure to get something put right in this day and age is insane sometimes, and this is without even THINKING about going to small claims court...

Associate
If your time was so valuable you wouldn't be here posting and its not always about money. I care more about companies taking me for a chump than losing some time and money.

Its my free time off mate, I am enjoying my day working out and cooking in the kitchen, I pop back and forth to many forums and browse technology and hifi, as that is one of my main interests, if that's alright with you, I'll "waste" my time as I see fit :)

Soldato
LOL, you must be joking, gl with a single phone call or email to get anyone moving, especially when it involves companies spending a pretty penny to put things right, cause they have your peace of mind and best interests at heart after they taken your hard earned, making sure everything is speedy and painless as possible....

The levels of stress you have to endure to get something put right in this day and age is insane sometimes, and this is without even THINKING about going to small claims court...
I guess you missed the "neglect" exclusion clause, there is no extra peace of mind. If they want to mess you about they will especially when you try to claim something expensive. People have managed to get panel replacements for burn in painlessly through standard warranty and others have struggled but all got there in the end when they pushed.

Now I need to go back to work since I lose a few pence per word I type here.

Soldato
I really doubt you would be able to go down the fit for purpose route if the TV got burn in from using it as a PC monitor. The retailer would actually have a reasonably strong decent because you have not used the product for its intended purpose.

If it was marketed as a monitor you will have a case but it isn’t, it’s marketed as a TV. No doubt the manual is also full of references about not leaving it to display static images for long periods of time. This is one of those cases where consumer law may not have your back.

Soldato
Back on track from people's work... I haven't taken any additional cover on my TV, however my PC is already set up where the icons and taskbar are gone, dark mode and black screens wherever possible, with the use of my current monitor if long hours of office work (Read: Football Manager) are required.

Having seen a huge amount about burn in, you have to remember those who shout the loudest with any product are those suffering issues. Likely to be a small percentage at best. However, I for one will be going for prevention over cure.

In addition, the Fitueyes stand recommendation is certainly good! For the price it's very sturdy and looks the part. Can't wait to get it all set up now!

Associate
I guess you missed the "neglect" exclusion clause, there is no extra peace of mind. If they want to mess you about they will especially when you try to claim something expensive. People have managed to get panel replacements for burn in painlessly through standard warranty and others have struggled but all got there in the end when they pushed.

Now I need to go back to work since I lose a few pence per word I type here.

I am not too sure about that, take a look at this. https://www.lg.com/uk/lgoled/sub/ga...ybIMmS4U7yGqS-B9L0aELNDrWLskQi6AaAhB8EALw_wcB

LG outright market the product as a "gaming screen", they market is as a MAIN purpose and feature/intended purpose for use etc etc etc.
I strongly believe one would have a strong case to argue, legally, that they advertised it being "used" in a manner that they now deem to be "neglect", surely that's not logical and is totally against what they are "proposing" as a usage scenario to potential buyers, and if indeed this does cause long term damage, then it stands to reason that it was not "fit for purpose", as using it as advertised, causes damage....

I am sorry, but LG opened a can of worms when they went down the road of "selling" it to the masses as a gaming screen, even displaying games being used with in game HUDS always on screen for gods sake, they took it next level to pull in the gamers.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
A few guys on Avforums reckon JLs D&G burn in cover TnC will quickly change in 1-2 years time or once the burn in faults start rolling in large numbers.

Not sure myself, but many over there with burn in issues (usually LG oled panels from 2017-2018) have had hit-and-miss experiences with burn in or burn out TV faults even slight banding issues also being repaired, but other times they seem to just swap out the faulty panel or offer a fix.

I think if you do have an OLED fault and its burn in don't say I have a burn in or burn or static or retention with your screen, say its pixel failure, fade out or failure or banding fault or any other fault otherwise you might be in for a long night. Engineers have simply popped round and taken a 5 second look and said that's burn in not covered and ignored the other tv faults while some have booked it in for banding etc

So its 50/50 chance, it's been suggested over on avforums also that you can go the route of small claims court and argue the not fit for purpose/sale of goods act but you can also argue that LG has inbuilt software to prevent 'burn in' and you had it switched on so its still a screen failure.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
however my PC is already set up where the icons and taskbar are gone, dark mode and black screens wherever possible, with the use of my current monitor if long hours of office work (Read: Football Manager) are required.

Micro-managing Oleds to me makes me want to go QLEDs, where I can just use a TV as a TV but at same time a QLEDs not an OLED, going to bang my head against the wall now :)

Someone joked on Avforums put it best, does one simply not watch Iron Man on an OLED given how Red and Yellow pixels are the double troublemakers.

I am waiting for someone to post a burn in pic of Penthouse logo on the top right side of their Oled screen, probably will be myself.

Associate
have been a long time lurker on the thread as im on a look out for a display that will go with the incoming ps5 and nvidia cards, at first i was and noted on this thread that i would get this tv around the same time as the ps5/nvidia cards come out, but the more i read about burn in etc scares me a lot as i will be using this just for gaming and web browsing and will have the desktop left onscreen when not in use during the day,
would this still be my best choice all anyone can suggest a monitor that would match the specs that the new nvidia cards and ps5 hopefully output (hdmi 2.1,4k/120hz etc) ?

R3X

R3X

Soldato
have been a long time lurker on the thread as im on a look out for a display that will go with the incoming ps5 and nvidia cards, at first i was and noted on this thread that i would get this tv around the same time as the ps5/nvidia cards come out, but the more i read about burn in etc scares me a lot as i will be using this just for gaming and web browsing and will have the desktop left onscreen when not in use during the day,
would this still be my best choice all anyone can suggest a monitor that would match the specs that the new nvidia cards and ps5 hopefully output (hdmi 2.1,4k/120hz etc) ?

Feels like a question better asked when ps5/X and Geforce/AMD next round of cards all arrive this fall, id bet Samsung and other companies will release hdmi 2.1 specced TVs and products to adopt the early wave of ££££ or won't be that far behind maybe early 2021.

If you have to and really need a TV or Monitor right now than the LG 48cx probably the best option.

Burn in is still a concern but at the same time its kinda overblown somewhat, LG also has different software built into the tv to fix burn in issues from occurring, you can also like mentioned above tweak your PC or machine or TV channel (ie zoom in to avoid logos) to help the situation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlP2kwNqXNA

I have to admit I am still concerned with burn in and may still go QLED but the OLED is so tempting.

Associate
Feels like a question better asked when ps5/X and Geforce/AMD next round of cards all arrive this fall, id bet Samsung and other companies will release hdmi 2.1 specced TVs and products to adopt the early wave of ££££ or won't be that far behind maybe early 2021.

If you have to and really need a TV or Monitor right now than the LG 48cx probably the best option.

Burn in is still a concern but at the same time its kinda overblown somewhat, LG also has different software built into the tv to fix burn in issues from occurring, you can also like mentioned above tweak your PC or machine or TV channel (ie zoom in to avoid logos) to help the situation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlP2kwNqXNA

I have to admit I am still concerned with burn in and may still go QLED but the OLED is so tempting.

thankyou,
i am at present just gaming on a 1080ti with a dell s2716dg monitor so that will take me to near the end of the year until the ps5/nvidia cards come out, but that doesnt stop me looking lol.

Soldato
I've got the Series X in mind for both gaming and Ultra HD Blu-ray playback, as I'll be gaining the use of 4K, HDR and HDMI-CEC. For me, these were huge points, especially when coupled with what an OLED is capable of. I've only ever experienced them in small doses in imperfect environments, but they're damn impressive.

Others will be bringing HDMI 2.1 TV's to the market, although when that is, who knows.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
thankyou,
i am at present just gaming on a 1080ti with a dell s2716dg monitor so that will take me to near the end of the year until the ps5/nvidia cards come out, but that doesnt stop me looking lol.

click on trust button on bottom right and activate it, I can send you some other info via trust (private message feature) regarding burn in stuff

Back
Top Bottom