LG CX (C10) OLED 2020 Thread

Soldato
Is it normal for Dolby Vision to have numerous handshakes, Netflix DV is ok but if I play a UHD disc on my oppo203 It often handshakes about 3-4 times before the movie starts. I guess its where you get the numerous credits and legal notices before the movie starts but it's annoying.

HDR10 doesn't seem to do it as much.

Soldato
I tested on my Nvidia 2080 10bit and its accessible as a selectable option.

So basically 4:4:4 10bit via an Nvidia Gpu will be possible which means the 40gbps band with thing isn’t an issue right?

Soldato
do you think this is something they will resolve via firmware? Been looking at this, mostly do gaming when I am in living room so hoping to pair it with next gen Nvidia to get VRR, e-ARC etc, but seems odd with blacks being wrecked with VRR enabled.

No idea, but I wouldn't put hopes on fixes when it comes to TVs. Unfortunately the industry has a long history of shafting customers and frankly most won't notice or care, so it ends up being a problem only for few (and that's not enough noise for LG to pay the fixing cost). The thing about adaptive-sync tech (like VRR, Gsync etc) is they've always had various issues with it and it was never 100% stable, even on PC. Like, there's certain ways to use it and it works fine but as soon as you start introducing other variables or don't run it in the one perfect way it works, it starts falling apart (talking BFI, gsync had issues with borderless etc.)

Flatpanelshd has made the firmware engineer at LG aware of this issues so we'll see how it goes, but I never recommend anyone buy a TV hoping for future fixes. Gotta judge based on what's available only, that way there's less room for disappointment.

Caporegime
But to be fair, of all the TV manufacturers LG seem to support their TVs for a long time with firmware updates

They were still adding features to my old B6 TV, 2 years after it was released.

Soldato
But to be fair, of all the TV manufacturers LG seem to support their TVs for a long time with firmware updates

They were still adding features to my old B6 TV, 2 years after it was released.

Yep, and general firmware support lasted for years, before I got the CX. I think I installed the latest earlier in the year, that's 4 years down the road.

Soldato
No idea, but I wouldn't put hopes on fixes when it comes to TVs. Unfortunately the industry has a long history of shafting customers and frankly most won't notice or care, so it ends up being a problem only for few (and that's not enough noise for LG to pay the fixing cost). The thing about adaptive-sync tech (like VRR, Gsync etc) is they've always had various issues with it and it was never 100% stable, even on PC. Like, there's certain ways to use it and it works fine but as soon as you start introducing other variables or don't run it in the one perfect way it works, it starts falling apart (talking BFI, gsync had issues with borderless etc.)

Flatpanelshd has made the firmware engineer at LG aware of this issues so we'll see how it goes, but I never recommend anyone buy a TV hoping for future fixes. Gotta judge based on what's available only, that way there's less room for disappointment.

Cheers for the thoughts. Yes saw that comment so hopefully something pans out, I have learned similar, buy it as it comes, not with expectation of it being improved. I am hoping, given LG seems to be pushing G-Sync at recent trade shows, they do pay attention to this element as absolute blacks is one of the biggest benefits of OLED's, that being diminished would be a shame. Can wait a few months anyways, all to line up with Cyberpunk and a new GPU!

Associate
Just had my CX delivered if anyone wants any tests done, its the 65 inch and was trying out Xbox X last night. Upgraded from a 55 inch C7
quite impressed, to be honest.

Last edited:
Associate
Any issues as seen in video few posts above ?

Nothing at all, everything looks fine, the sound is 100 times better really impressed with it.

Must be noted that there was a firmware update waiting to version 03.300.60 so this could have ironed out some issues, but I did it straight away so have nothing to compare too.

Last edited:
Associate
Just had my CX delivered if anyone wants any tests done, its the 65 inch and was trying out Xbox X last night. Upgraded from a 55 inch C7
quite impressed, to be honest.
Another quick question please :) How are you finding auto brightness on the tv (when scenes change from dark to light ), is it very aggressive and noticeable ? This feature drove me mad on my Samsung TV so had to switch it off in service menu.

Soldato
Nothing at all, everything looks fine, the sound is 100 times better really impressed with it.

Must be noted that there was a firmware update waiting to version 03.300.60 so this could have ironed out some issues, but I did it straight away so have nothing to compare too.

Hello, sounds great. To confirm when you mean everything, did you try with a Nvidia GPU and G-sync to verify the elevated blacks in HDR gaming, or was this from an xbox perspective. Thanks!

Associate
C9 owner here: I posted about the elevated black whilst using g sync in the C9 thread. Nobody else came back to say they had the problem. I'm glad to see it in here and that Lg have been made aware of it. It is a very slight elevation. My test was to turn off g sync, look at the black level slide. I reduce brightness until the first square disappears. Turn on G sync and the first box becomes visible again. Fingers crossed it gets fixed.

Soldato
is there a theory as to why they might have done this (raised blacks)? or it is just a bug, like near black pixel flashing.
this is strangely similar to the samsung issue
listening to vincents video on the the hdmi limitation to 40Gbs (a bit academic because blu-ray source/panel isn't 12bits) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFJmjKJGx5o
possibly because their system architecture/hardware doesn't have the memory/cpu bandwidth to do the processing at 12bit, then, similarly
the raised black issue might be because their system architecture in VRR has derated to 8 bit processing, I wonder if someone has run some banding/graduation tests undre vrr

[noted https://www.reddit.com/r/OLED/comments/gm0e30/rtings_measurements_c9_vs_cx/ too]

Back
Top Bottom