LG CX (C10) OLED 2020 Thread

Soldato
I don't know whether to be bothered about 120hz BFI or not. I supoose I've already made my choice and it's not worth another £1k on top of the price of the 2019 model.

My E9 appears tomorrow and I'm quite excited. Though I have the non envious task of getting the Mrs to help me lug the old Panasonic 902b upstairs to my office. It weights a ton, she's going to love it I'm sure.

Soldato
Nice, review, looks like C10 has improved in some aspects and some bugs will likely be resolved on it. Seems C10 is better at low bit rate stuff while C9 with slightly better brightness HDR content from his summery, wonder why though there has been a drop in HDR brightness, burn in related?

Hopefully C11 mesh's pro's of both :p

Caporegime
Nice, review, looks like C10 has improved in some aspects and some bugs will likely be resolved on it. Seems C10 is better at low bit rate stuff while C9 with slightly better brightness HDR content from his summery, wonder why though there has been a drop in HDR brightness, burn in related?

Hopefully C11 mesh's pro's of both :p

Yeah, probably just tweaking the burn-in protection now they are aiming them at PC gamers.

To be honest I've not heard anyone with a C8 or C9 highlight an issue with burn in, it seemed consigned to the older models.

Nor did my 3 year old B6 exhibit any issues before I sold it to a friend.

Soldato
Seems C10 is better at low bit rate stuff while C9
yes the takeaway was right at the start .. would like to see a comparison with panasonic, or using something like an apple tv to externally decode netflix,
shouldn't it be easy for LG to get this right ?
has anyone looked up the spears & munsell test case he uses to show that.

Their cx thread https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-...alibration-user-settings-no-price-talk-3.html
has a good technical video, https://youtu.be/NiWPfggiGTw
(everyone watched SDR at 200nits ... it is mastered for 100 .... and all about cx picture modes )

Soldato
OP
How many people are watching low bitrate SD content on these?

The C9 already upscales well enough for the 1080p content I watch now and again. I'd rather have the higher HDR peak brightness as long as it hasn't been toned down for burn in reasons!

SD content makes up less than 1% of total time spent using my LG C9

Soldato
Problem is(was?) with HD/1080 content . so 4-6Mb/s ... Amazon vikings is the one the one that was commonly named
still a lot of dark stuff just availible in hd, like TWD, gangs of london. I've not looked to see if folks have any issues with 4k/15Mb/s netflix streams.

Caporegime
Can't remember the last time I watched an SD source on mine.

I guess some music channels my wife put on when we were drinking the other night actually (90's club classics)

I watched Gangs of London in UHD.

Soldato
whilst waiting for the 77'' CX to come back in stock on John Lewis, I got together an Epson 9400 and a Draper React 3 screen and TBH, I think I'm sitting out the 77'' CX now until its shaved £1k of its price tag. Something about a 100'' screen is just ridiculous. I did the a demo of a 77'' screen and it feels too small in comparison (and thats hella big).

I was all set and done to buy it but with HDMI 2.1 card compatability being questionable with the 8bit/12bit bs Nvidia pull, I think waiting might be a good idea.
Next year is going to be expensive regardless as we all have to update our AVRs to HDMI 2.1, buy a PS5, etc.

Have a 65'' OLED in the other room, love it tho.

Soldato
Nvidia only give via hdmi an option to send 8 or 12 bit via hdmi.

therefore we can’t sent 10bit 120hz to the cx. It has to be 12bit. Due to the limitation in hdmi bandwith in the cx we can’t.

lg decision to limit the bandwidth is fairly sensible but only if manufacturers allow us to send 10bit signal

Soldato

therefore we can’t sent 10bit 120hz to the cx. It has to be 12bit. Due to the limitation in hdmi bandwith in the cx we can’t.

lg decision to limit the bandwidth is fairly sensible but only if manufacturers allow us to send 10bit signal

Out of curiosity where did you read that? I can select 8, 10 and 12 bit from my 1080ti via HDMI at 4k abit 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 due to hdmi 2.0 limitations. Would be a step back if it's as you suggest and if thinking right not be ideal for CX owners as your limited to 10bit 4:4:4 with 12bit not likely to be possible with 2.1 due to 40 Gbps limit unless I am mistaken.

Caporegime

Not true.

These are my settings at the moment...

Nvidia_LGC9.jpg

Soldato
Not true.

These are my settings at the moment...

Nvidia_LGC9.jpg

4:4:4 mate. not 4:2:2.
Out of curiosity where did you read that? I can select 8, 10 and 12 bit from my 1080ti via HDMI at 4k abit 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 due to hdmi 2.0 limitations. Would be a step back if it's as you suggest and if thinking right not be ideal for CX owners as your limited to 10bit 4:4:4 with 12bit not likely to be possible with 2.1 due to 40 Gbps limit unless I am mistaken.

as far as im aware, 4:4:4 should be selectable at 30hz with the current bandwith limitations but its not.

Nvidia can obbiously enable it pretty easily. but idk if they'll continue to protect their commercial cards by gimping.

Caporegime
Are you sure about all this?

4:4:4 only really affects desktop text. And you have to enable the PC icon on the LG to use it, which disables lots of other video processing you might want.

Using a PC with 4:4:4 chroma doesn't affect movies (all made in 4:2:0) or Games.

Soldato
Yeah, probably just tweaking the burn-in protection now they are aiming them at PC gamers.

To be honest I've not heard anyone with a C8 or C9 highlight an issue with burn in, it seemed consigned to the older models.

Nor did my 3 year old B6 exhibit any issues before I sold it to a friend.
In the 8 series onwards they almost doubled the red pixel in size, which is why your not getting reports of BI on those models. I have no doubt they will burn eventually but would guess it will be after the 6 years it’s supposed to last, unless your watching Sky News all day everyday then it will burn much faster.

Back
Top Bottom