LG Flatron 29UM65-P (29") UltraWide Monitor Owners Thread

Caporegime
For those that hate glossy plastic:

My stand (haven't done the upper part yet) and bottom strip now:

VNdML20h.jpg

rw38HA9h.jpg

I over did it a bit too much but either way it is still far better than the full on gloss finish! :D

Soldato
^^^ Looking nice.

The piano black type gloss finish is a fingerprint magnet, scratches easily as well, but the brushed matte type appearance you have created looks far Superior.

Well done.

Caporegime

Going to do the whole monitor (just got the back, sides, top and underneath to do) sometime this week.

It still puzzles me why manufacturers seem to think glossy plastic is nice, like you said, it is just a finger print magnet, scratches easily + reflection galore....

Caporegime
Suppose I should post this in here too

Over the last week, I have noticed some excessive IPS glow/bleed on my 29um65, mainly because I have been watching more dark content i.e. daredevil, game of thrones etc. not sure how this has come about...

Here is a photo of when I first got my monitor back in July:

lpy6QF6h.jpg

And a photo of it now at the same brightness (13%) with the same camera etc.:

UMahJdyh.jpg

Even with 0% brightness and the LED strip light turned on, it is still noticeable:

8U5K8mNh.jpg

ETlGAyFh.jpg
IIRC this has happened with a couple of guys LG 34" screens after a few months and they had to send them back and deal with the poor service.

This is really ruining my experience with watching dark tv shows, films and playing games now :( Can't be bothered going through LG's customer service so just going to have make do with this screen until I get something else.

I was thinking of getting the asus 27" freesync screen next month but I really don't want to go back to 16.9 especially after seeing this photo, 27" VS 34" :(

Ownd9iT.jpg

Anyone calibrated their monitor properly yet? Also, any one got theirs overclocked higher than 65HZ, if so could you post your settings?

Caporegime
To top things of, I have also now noticed banding! When I first got the monitor, if I looked very closely, I could just about notice banding but now, I don't even need to go looking for it in the lagom banding test....

Last edited:
Soldato
^^^^ I have been pleasantly surprised at how I have got used to a 16:9 monitor again after the 21:9 I used. I sort of miss the horizontal space but the increased vertical height and no more faffing around with games etc has made the Nenq a joy to use.

The glow / bleed you have noted seems pretty similar to my ex (now my Son's) LG 21:9. When I call round to see him I can see similar amounts of glow when viewing certain dark scenes etc on his monitor.

It took three monitors altogether before I found one 27" 16:9 with an acceptable screen. The two AOC's were appallingly bad. Thankfully dealing with Amazon was easy peezy, they shipped out one replacement Saturday evening and I got it Monday. They collected the old one and that was that - refund already done in advance, awesome service. The second return was dealt with in a similar manner.

Perhaps a 16:10 would be nice but I would not bother with another 21:9 again. The 29" does not offer enough vertical height and anything bigger is too expensive and needs some serious GPU oomph to push those pixels around. They remind me of looking through a letter box.!

Caporegime
I would miss 21.9 big time especially for films.

Definitely would not get another 21.9 IPS display again though especially if the panel is made by LG...

Not sticking with this monitor, it just seems to be degrading as time goes on, dread to imagine what the bleed/glow and banding will be like in another few months!

Going to wait and see what the asus freesync IPS 144HZ is like first, if it is anything like the acer gsync one then I will have to decide between the Samsung 34" VA (no backlight bleed worries, great blacks/contrast, 21.9) or benq 27" freesync 144hz monitor (freesync, better motion clarity but TN and with a heavy matte finish), although both are more expensive than what they should be imo so I will wait for the price drop before deciding on either one.

What monitor did you get in the end?

Think I am going to set my dell u2311h back up today.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'll be honest I sold mine not long after getting one. I just couldn't get on with the lack of vertical height after coming from a 16:10 screen. Much prefer my 2 monitors, and the second one only cost me £20 :p.

I did like gaming on it though...when it worked.

Soldato
@Nexus18 - I ended up with a BenQ BL2710PT LED IPS 27.

It has been a very good monitor for what it is.

Having dealt with LG's customer service they are not on my short list of AAA companies to deal with. Thankfully Amazon is.

As noted the 21:9 letter box monitors do not appeal to me with their aspect ratio. I have zero issues now and no longer need to look for fixes etc for game support, or cut scenes and in game UI's etc sometimes still being in 16:9.

Freesync - maybe if and when it matures and some other things about it change maybe it would be a consideration for me.

As it is it does seem a bit of panel lottery with IPS - just make sure that you are dealing with a retailer who will give exchanges with absolutely no hassle, immediate refunds and a collection service / drop off is also a bonus...!

@FG - that resolution is not upported by a 29" 21:9. Try 2560x1080.

Caporegime
Nice monitor that :cool:

Yeah I know what you mean, it can be a pita when a game and flawless widescreen don't support 21.9, cutscenes and menus I am not bothered about though, thankfully gta 5 has 21.9 support (except menus and cutscenes)

OCUK were very good to me with my 29um65's, however, after reading recent posts by staff in the acer thread about backlight bleed just being normal for ips, it has sort of made be a bit wary for future IPS monitor purchases with ocuk.... Thankfully the samsung 34" and benq don't seem to have many issues.

So amazon collect the monitor if you want to return/RMA it then? If so, great news as that was the main reason I stuck with ocuk as they arranged collection via DPD.

Aside from the monitors choice of freesync range, what is that puts you of freesync? Only thing that puts me of this sync tech. is being locked into one gpu brand for a good few years :(

I just hope the asus freesync screen is very good for quality regarding backlight bleed etc., sucks that the freesync range only goes up to 95FPS for it but I will never hit that for the majority of games anyway unless I drop settings down a lot

Last edited:
Soldato
OCUK have been excellent in their customer service when I had my LG 21:9 but I'm so very wary of playing this lottery panel game that I feel sorry for the retailer in the potential returns you might need before finding an acceptable one. I really am not that picky but both of my AOC monitors were horrendous with huge amounts of bleed and glow that could be seen in normal daylight...! Speaking with AOC (after sending the person an email who I was speaking to showing the photos) told me that was the limitations of the IPS technology and would be perfectly acceptable. I did not try a third.!

You really need to be sure of the retailer that they will accept, with very few questions, of the need to return a monitor without cost and an instant refund, I got that each time.

Freesync, for me, has not matured enough as a technology for it to be considered worthwhile, especially with its other limitations on the panel etc and then the premium it seems to cost. Also did I mention AMD....? That is reason enough not to buy into Freesync...!

You could get one of those banana shaped monitors...? That way you could get the warm glow of back light bleed on each side of your head at the same time - lol...!

Caporegime
ha! So the same response that I got from LG then, absolutely pathetic, looks like another monitor brand to avoid is going on my list.....

That is the beauty of freesync, it doesn't cost anything extra for the manufacturers or us hence it being called freesync :p The equivalent gsync monitors cost at least £150 more.

Soldato
The implementation might be free (for Freesync over Gsync) but the cost of any sync monitor over that of a generic bog std is still too much for me to consider them.

I had strongly considered the 32" BenQ 9H.LC3LB.QBE LED Monitor @ 2560x1440 with a AMVA+ panel, no chance of IPS glow. Some had issues with banding but for many it does seem a worthy consideration.

Caporegime
Yeah I was thinking of 32" when in the process of rma'ing my lg but the height is too much for my desk plus 2560x1440 at 32" is too low imo

Caporegime
Well I thought I would try overclocking my monitor again but nope, I just can't get it past 60 without frame skipping!

How did you get 75HZ from this screen MASTEROC?

Caporegime
Yup it only takes 5 minutes, if that, a lot easier with nvidia GPUs too:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1493866/guide-overclocking-your-monitor

For frame skipping, you can use this:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1493866/guide-overclocking-your-monitor

Although you should be able to tell by just moving the mouse cursor across the screen, if you have frame skipping, it will look/feel stuttery.

I have tried HDMI, display port but just can't get past 60HZ without frame skipping :( Perhaps it just an AMD thing....

Back
Top Bottom