LG Flatron 29UM65-P (29") UltraWide Monitor Owners Thread

Soldato
I got my 55 today ... happy with the quality but for some reason does not work with my dvi cable . So using hdmi atm

It seems to be more blue on the right hand side which is kinda worrying is this normal or adjustable ?

Associate
I got my 55 today ... happy with the quality but for some reason does not work with my dvi cable . So using hdmi atm

It seems to be more blue on the right hand side which is kinda worrying is this normal or adjustable ?

You probably don't have Dual Link DVI. Some DVI single link cables only support up to 1920x1080 I believe. This monitor is 2560 across

Associate
(new member here)
First off, hello all.
Secondly, I recently bought the LG 29UB55-B http://www.lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-29UB55-B and it's very good.
Helped by the fellow members who recommended on the LG 29 21:9 monitors.
Luckily, I haven't witnessed any Bleed coming from it, aside the IPS glow (goes away when i get closer to that spot).
Good monitor overall, MASSIVE real estate( coming from a Samsung 20 inch Syncmaster).
So yea, definitely get it, if you arent ready to invest in big expensive GPUs to handle 4K (and above??? :D)

eg. if anyone has got any settings to try for the monitor settings( color etc)!!! I am ok now with Cinema mode, but wouldnt mind tinkering a bit

Associate
(new member here)
First off, hello all.
Secondly, I recently bought the LG 29UB55-B http://www.lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-29UB55-B and it's very good.
Helped by the fellow members who recommended on the LG 29 21:9 monitors.
Luckily, I haven't witnessed any Bleed coming from it, aside the IPS glow (goes away when i get closer to that spot).
Good monitor overall, MASSIVE real estate( coming from a Samsung 20 inch Syncmaster).
So yea, definitely get it, if you arent ready to invest in big expensive GPUs to handle 4K (and above??? :D)

eg. if anyone has got any settings to try for the monitor settings( color etc)!!! I am ok now with Cinema mode, but wouldnt mind tinkering a bit

congrats and welcome enjoy!

Associate
Been looking at getting 29UM65 for the £290 mark but am worried its going to look a bit small, cant justify the price for a 34 though as id want to jump to 1440.

What size have most of you guys upgraded from

Soldato
I really liked it when I had it but the vertical height of the actual screen was too small. If it was a few cm bigger, it'd have been perfect. I subsequently sent it back and purchased a 27" ASUS 1440p panel! Much better :D

Agree with those findings. It was like looking through a letterbox for me, with the lack of vertical height. I passed the 21:9 29" LG onto my Son and then bought a 27" 1440p.
For the balance of vertical and horizontal desktop space the 1440p much better suits my needs.
I was watching my Son play Dying Light on the LG and was surprised to see that some of the menus and overlays were still depicting in a 16:9 mode, if that makes sense. Things like that just do not happen with a 1440p screen.

Overall the 29" was a good screen but handicapped with the lack of vertical height for me.

Soldato
OP
Agree with those findings. It was like looking through a letterbox for me, with the lack of vertical height. I passed the 21:9 29" LG onto my Son and then bought a 27" 1440p.
For the balance of vertical and horizontal desktop space the 1440p much better suits my needs.
I was watching my Son play Dying Light on the LG and was surprised to see that some of the menus and overlays were still depicting in a 16:9 mode, if that makes sense. Things like that just do not happen with a 1440p screen.

Overall the 29" was a good screen but handicapped with the lack of vertical height for me.

Yeah, seems to be a common comment with the 29" Super-wide screen. I think the 34" would be better but prices are nuts!!

Soldato
Yeah, seems to be a common comment with the 29" Super-wide screen. I think the 34" would be better but prices are nuts!!

It was one of those purchases where I wished that I had the chance to use one before I bought into the 21:9 aspect ratio LG. If I had then I would not have bothered.
Having two documents or photos etc side by side was useful but then the relative lack of vertical height made me think of it as only being half a monitor, chopped horizontally. I was forever scrolling to compensate.

As you note the 34" one might haven been better apart from the humongous price but then that would have given me another headache, this time with my GPU.

Pushing the amount of pixels around that a 34" has in comparison to a 29" wasn't something that I liked to think about. I also remember Mrk having horrendous issues with LG's customer services with his premium LG 34".

The 16:9 or a 16:10 aspect ratio monitor simply works better for me.

Caporegime
I really like the 29" LG screen, I too would have preferred a few more CM in height but as said above, no way am I going to pay £700+ for a monitor unless it was OLED....

Saying that, I am now thinking of going with the benq 27" freesync monitor for a few reasons:

- as good as 21.9 support is, the lack of proper support for games is getting annoying and the flawless widescreen guys seem to be taking forever to add games and in some cases not even bothering i.e. COD AW
- motion clarity, for some reason (probably my eye sight getting worse :p), I seem to be getting more sensitive to this
- stutter in games, hopefully freesync will eliminate this
- screen tearing, seems like some of the latest games are terrible when it comes to this now, having to use vsync which isn't ideal with the input lag + FPS drops below 60...

Soldato
I really like the 29" LG screen, I too would have preferred a few more CM in height but as said above, no way am I going to pay £700+ for a monitor unless it was OLED....

Saying that, I am now thinking of going with the benq 27" freesync monitor for a few reasons:

- as good as 21.9 support is, the lack of proper support for games is getting annoying and the flawless widescreen guys seem to be taking forever to add games and in some cases not even bothering i.e. COD AW
- motion clarity, for some reason (probably my eye sight getting worse :p), I seem to be getting more sensitive to this
- stutter in games, hopefully freesync will eliminate this
- screen tearing, seems like some of the latest games are terrible when it comes to this now, having to use vsync which isn't ideal with the input lag + FPS drops below 60...

My Son is just complaining that he can't find support for Far Cry 4 (FOV), I knew there was another reason to not have a 21:9 monitor and then I remembered all the fiddling around that I had to do with certain titles to get them to work, although sometimes menus and cut scenes etc were not changed.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Far cry 4 isn't too bad for 21.9, certainly better than far cry 3 anyway. But yes it needed a FOV option still.

I found flawless widescreen great, easy and quick to use but as mentioned, it is more or less dead now :(

I don't think cut scenes etc. can ever be fixed though :(

Back
Top Bottom