LG OLED C9 as a PC monitor - Yes, I'm crazy, Yes time to get some burn in.

Soldato
OP
Up from a Samsung CF791 (which was a completely underwhelming upgrade from a Samsung S34E790C).

I've got a c9 77inch as my living room TV so can do a comparison of new features too.

Oh god!! can you please tell me more about the 77'' C9? whats ur seating distance? I'm planning to buy one for a 2.6M seating distance. do u think it will give a cinematic enough experience for that seating distance?

man u have the mother ship of all TVs....!!!!

Associate
Don't know why i'm waiting...i'll very likely be buying the darn thing;)

LOL yeah I get that, seems fantastic :)

Each to there own but the majority of people who have the C9 don’t need to upgrade to the CX 10. OLED tech has peaked since C8-C9 with minimum improvements in reality on the CX10. The C9 really had all the I improvements, game related, that will last for years.

There was a review on YouTube of the new 48” OLED and he said the size is all wrong, until they get down to 32” he recommends not bothering. Each to there own

Yeah have seen that to; no need if you allready have the C9, well if you dont have AMD gpu, as I get it only the CX will support freesync. And that BFI at 4K - 120hz.
But actually I never use that on my PG279Q. Much better to have g-sync. VRR is a must for me :D

And as I have heard atleast the OLED should be atleast as good as a fast monitor with motion handling. Some say it's way better but I dont know as it' still sample and hold. Well annyway, if the price wont come down that much on the CX. I might aswell just go for the C9 and be more then happy :)

Associate
I've been agonizing over weather to get an LG OLED or a CRG9 for weeks now. A quick question if anyone knows. Does the LG B9 55" have the same capability to set the aspect ration to 21:9 like the OP mentioned with the C9?

Permabanned
I've been agonizing over weather to get an LG OLED or a CRG9 for weeks now. A quick question if anyone knows. Does the LG B9 55" have the same capability to set the aspect ration to 21:9 like the OP mentioned with the C9?

I have the B9 but 65", assume it would be the same, its almost the same TV, could plug my PC in tomorrow and see if nobody else can confirm.

Soldato

Just set a custom resolution in windows, as long as the custom resolution is within the panel's limits then it should work... though I'm not sure why anyone would want to do it that way..

Soldato
What is text like on these? As in, if i wanted to use one as my daily driver for gaming/browsing and doing some dev in visual studio etc, is the text legible?

Associate
Oh god!! can you please tell me more about the 77'' C9? whats ur seating distance? I'm planning to buy one for a 2.6M seating distance. do u think it will give a cinematic enough experience for that seating distance?

Seating distance is 10 ft from screen so a bit over your distance - in terms of size... it is good enough from that distance but I will be upgrading to the 88inch when the price gets under 10k (I presume next years model) as the 77inch doesn't really deliver the "increase in immersion" factor the upgrade from 50inch plasma to 65inch oled managed (I had an E6 set).

The actual set it superb though, can't fault any element of it, VRR works great with Xbox 1. Only complaint would be the crappy remote for such an expensive tv - the E6 metal remote was class.

Here is a pic for comparison against a person.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/USmSVrimvuSLNjtX9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GqtD64afxDuWg7pk8

Soldato
OP

I had both and I'd edge towards the B9.

You can set the aspect ratio to whatever you want (the GPU scales it). You can adjust the height to more or less. I always found the CRG9 felt too short and obviously you can't change that.

CRG9 positives
+Burn in resistant
+Curved screen
+Freesync
+Looks nicer on a desk
+Can sit closer to it

B9 positives
+Everything else

Associate

It doesn’t look like the 77” C9 will be dropping to C8 price level of last year in the Uk. Maddening considering how cheap they were in Europe months ago.

Back
Top Bottom