LG OLED55B7V price hikes everywhere??

Soldato
Backlight level will effect the deepest blacks, so backlight & brightness (black level) can intermix.

For LCD I would set brightness to minimum. Then adjust backlight to right amount, so you get a good deep black. Then adjust brightness, then contrast. Usually contrast is quite high on LCD. Like 80% or so. But in normal room, backlight around 50% or so.

If you have backlight at 100% you will get retina burning levels of light, and have poor black levels.

Baclight on my Samsung monitor, for example is called brightness. Which is incorrect. Typically you don't have "black level" setting on monitors, although it does for this, it's called "black equalizer" but it seems to do more than "black level" as it intoduces noise.

Soldato
Guy - hope nobody thought I was just "bashing OLED" or anything. I am genuinely in a position to make a purchase, my 5 year old Samsung 40" has reached "end of life" and I'm currently looking for a 55" to replace it with. Just worried that although OLED is "the best" that I might end up regretting the purchase if I have to compromise on image quality to preserve screen or I end up with something that is "damaged" before I've had it 5-6 years without any comeback.
Cheers for all the comments.

I recommend stop wasting time worrying and just go buy one and enjoy it :)

Caporegime
Love mine but it's gone into the living room, just couldn't live with the 60hz (dropped from 100hz Asus)! Switched to an UUW Samsung and will get an Xbox X for it :cool:

Caporegime
Love mine but it's gone into the living room, just couldn't live with the 60hz (dropped from 100hz Asus)! Switched to an UUW Samsung and will get an Xbox X for it :cool:

Big downgrade there! :D ;)

Take it you didn't like 120HZ @ 1080P then :p The only reason I am using 120HZ @ 1080P is because my GPU isn't capable of 60HZ @ 4k not to mention nowhere near powerful enough for 4k anyway. Although saying that, with the distance I sit at from the TV, it is very hard to see the difference between 4k and 1080P especially in media stuff.

Caporegime
Big downgrade there! :D ;)

Take it you didn't like 120HZ @ 1080P then :p The only reason I am using 120HZ @ 1080P is because my GPU isn't capable of 60HZ @ 4k not to mention nowhere near powerful enough for 4k anyway. Although saying that, with the distance I sit at from the TV, it is very hard to see the difference between 4k and 1080P especially in media stuff.

Tbh I'm sure 120hz@1080p would be fine if I didn't sit 2 feet from it :D

Rearranged my living room so I'm only about 7 feet from it anyhow, which is the best of both imo :)

Soldato
Sending back my C7.
It developed really bad banding. Got a replacement and it has really bad yellow tinting.. The place i got it says if i get another replacement and it's not right either then I cannot have a refund or have any more replacements only send it to LG to determine if its within spec (which it will be) Even argued a little about law and consumer rights, didn't care.
Shame....

Soldato
pity - is there any question that compnany could have sent you returns ? (like other tv's must be able to access service menu to see power on hours)

Caporegime
Sending back my C7.
It developed really bad banding. Got a replacement and it has really bad yellow tinting.. The place i got it says if i get another replacement and it's not right either then I cannot have a refund or have any more replacements only send it to LG to determine if its within spec (which it will be) Even argued a little about law and consumer rights, didn't care.
Shame....

Post on trust pilot and their Twitter and everything else social media wise.

Say that you will be seeking legal advice and if necessary, taking them to a small claims court if they don't let you exercise your 30 day cra legal right. Also mention that you will be contacting the likes of which? and BBC watchdogs.

Who is the company you bought the TV from?

Soldato
.. but if you are not out of pocket and they just say, we are out of stock and do not have other units to supply, you have no recourse ?

Soldato
Which company has said that?
It was Currys.
They said they have had many returns of OLEDs for the same issues so they are only going to let customers return them so many times for these issues (2 times, third time policy's say no refunds and you must go to LG about any faults) as the banding/tinting issues are "common" which they are, but shouldn't be, and are going to be on all TVs and are within LG's specifications and that no amount of swapping is going to get rid of the tinting/banding. Its policy which has only just come into effect recently apparently due to the high return rate on OLEDs.

While I know that the amount of tinting/banding is varies wildly between units, its not acceptable, they shouldn't be leaving the factory in the first place like that. I expect some small fault that you CANT see during content as thats the nature of the technology apparently.

Depending on where the tint is you wont see it on normal content outside of a white screen/snow etc but for something that costs over a THOUSAND pounds, its not on, I'd expect uniformity issues from a cheap TV but a premium price demands a premium product and quality control.

I went through the whole consumer rights and everything the agent said he knows what hes talking about trained technician blah blah blah, even spoke to a supervisor who said the same thing.

After 40min later arguing I just got sick of it, they can go screw themselves, I'd rather not have to put up with them for any issue anymore.

They are picking it up on Sunday, i'll wait for the refund to go through and i'll pop over to Richersound's and ask them about there policy's on such things.

Last edited:
Soldato
In your case for the best, we had to take our first one back as it got a bright red failed pixel in the middle of the screen that you couldn't miss. Curry's swapped it there and touch wood this ones been ok for the last 6 months.

Caporegime
Another reason why I returned mine to Curry's and went with john Lewis instead....

Curry's knowhow..... More like don't knowhow, clueless bunch of idiots.

Curry's more or less pulled the same move with me but I did the above and insisted that I am covered by the 30 day cra law and that which? were backing me up too and if it wasn't resolved I would be moving forward with a small claims court as well as contacting watch dogs etc. as they were breaching my rights.

In the 30 day cra, it doesn't have to be classed as faulty as it also states "of unsatisfactory quality" which severe banding and tinting would on a ££££ TV.

But yes, that is unfortunately the downfall of oled, vertical banding and tinting on whites, all panels will have it to some degree, thankfully mine is pretty good and not noticeable at all unless looking for it in certain scenes, for the other 95% of the time, no problems at all.

I rather put up with that than the bleed, lesser blacks and clouding issues generally associated with LCD.

Soldato
Another reason why I returned mine to Curry's and went with john Lewis instead....

Curry's knowhow..... More like don't knowhow, clueless bunch of idiots.

Curry's more or less pulled the same move with me but I did the above and insisted that I am covered by the 30 day cra law and that which? were backing me up too and if it wasn't resolved I would be moving forward with a small claims court as well as contacting watch dogs etc. as they were breaching my rights.

In the 30 day cra, it doesn't have to be classed as faulty as it also states "of unsatisfactory quality" which severe banding and tinting would on a ££££ TV.

But yes, that is unfortunately the downfall of oled, vertical banding and tinting on whites, all panels will have it to some degree, thankfully mine is pretty good and not noticeable at all unless looking for it in certain scenes, for the other 95% of the time, no problems at all.

I rather put up with that than the bleed, lesser blacks and clouding issues generally associated with LCD.
Yeah I know OLED are going to have these problems regardless (but I expect them to be small) as LG are the only ones making them and they deny there is a problem. I'm going back to my Panasonic plasma for now.

EDIT: just been on the phone out of curiosity, apparently what I was told the other days is complete and utter BS, there is no 3 rule you can exchange as many as you like until its right or get a refund.
Asked them to email me confirmation of this.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
For whatever its worth guys, I thought I'd update this thread that I started to tell you that its 99% likely that I have been scammed by Drake Displays. Stupidly fell for their card processing being "down" and paid via invoice/bank transfer. Never in my days have I have done something stupid like that, but yet I did last week. I got weird contrasting emails thereafter about damaged stock, about resending, and then cancelling / refund not forgetting being fobbed off on the phone about what the hell is going on and being put on hold as soon as I mention my name/order number.

I quickly saw something was amiss when browsing their trustedsite.com (others complaining and warning), it immediately sent alarm bells ringing but it was already too late. Some reports popped up on avforums and hotukdeals but too late for me to notice.

I like a few others on trustedsite have reported them to actionfraud.police.uk and completed their detailed form, so what happens next is anybody's guess. I very much doubt I'll see the money returned.

Oh well, I'll push ahead and still get another...I hope I don't encounter some of the issues mentioned in this thread!

Back
Top Bottom