LG OLED55B7V price hikes everywhere??

Caporegime
Mine is also November. Although that tends to not matter much in my experience.

i.e. my first, the c7 was an August build but was by far the best, pretty much perfect.

Caporegime
Damm Rameses, that really sucks..................

Just took delivery of my 2nd replacement.
Same bull.

Original TV had yellow stain across entire bottom
1st Replacement had yellow stain across entire top with yellow in middle as-well
2nd Replacement has yellow stain across entire bottom with yellow in middle as-well.

All various yellow stain levels never the same.

Getting a 3rd replacement on Thurs/Friday and if this isn't right, getting a refund. I'll stick with my Panasonic Plasma till they SORT THIS OUT.
£1500 on a sub-par quality TV is NOT HAPPENING.
I can't believe the majority of people are just accepting this (assuming the stain is a common issue which it seems it is reading around on AVforums etc) you really need to hold the manufacturer to a higher quality standard specially on expensive items.

Even more so when the entire point of the item is IMAGE QUALITY.

There is no such thing as perfection it is a complete myth.

EVERY item whatever it is no matter how much it costs will have some flaws.

It is impossible to make thousands of the same item with every single one being 100% identical and flaw free.

If every one of the thousands of components that make up the whole are built to a certain manufacturers tolerance, then you can never expect the overall item to be perfect, you can only expect it to be within manufacturers tolerance.

Finally, in my humble opinion, spending £1000 to £1500 on an OLED Tv is nothing nowadays, that is basically bottom of the range when you can spend up to £25,000 on larger OLEDS. You pay bottom dollar you can never expect highest quality.

The age old adage, I find is always true, "You get what you pay for".

Soldato
LG must have the means to identify the better and worse panels, they have just decided an appropriate cut-off/yield where most customers will be happy.

So now they sell some 55% of the production(earlier post), but could split off the top half of that production, and just sell that, at twice the price.

Is there any evidence that they will put better panels in the e8/g8/w8 for 2018; they also have different processors now, I understand ? (what panels do they deliver to panasonic) 'product binning'

If you have a professional calibration or calibration tool you could make some obejctive measures too, during ownership.
(that old cookie - but) ageing phenomena and lifespan of oled still specified with less hours than LCD, yellowing at birth on some sets
may well be an indication of what to expect as they age. (more than coincidental that temporary burn in is yellow too, and that 2018 sets have bigger red sub-pixels - earlier post)

I have not seen any technical analysis on whether oled panel production intrinsically produces less/more variation versus LCD ?

Caporegime
Well tbf, there are people who have perfect whites and no banding whatsoever..... ;) :p

Also, the most expensive OLED TVs also suffer from the same "issues", iirc, the banding is largely down to the printing process they use. As for the tinting, no idea what causes it.

I can understand why people would want to get a good/perfect one but at the same time, it does seem to be very rare for you to get a "perfect" one going by various forums.

Like I said earlier, even with these 'issues', nothing still comes close to the image that oled produces. Either put up with these issues or go with LCD and put up with its grey blacks, bleeding, clouding issues or stick with plasma and endure it's more serious image retention issues, lack luster performance in bright conditions, decrease in iq over time etc.

My advice, use it as you would normally and if the issue is very noticeable then get a replacement and if needs be, stick to your old TV. Don't get too wrapped up with test conditions i.e. pitch black room with 100% slides etc. as that is showing the absolute worst case scenario.

Soldato
There is no such thing as perfection it is a complete myth.

EVERY item whatever it is no matter how much it costs will have some flaws.

It is impossible to make thousands of the same item with every single one being 100% identical and flaw free.

If every one of the thousands of components that make up the whole are built to a certain manufacturers tolerance, then you can never expect the overall item to be perfect, you can only expect it to be within manufacturers tolerance.

Finally, in my humble opinion, spending £1000 to £1500 on an OLED Tv is nothing nowadays, that is basically bottom of the range when you can spend up to £25,000 on larger OLEDS. You pay bottom dollar you can never expect highest quality.

The age old adage, I find is always true, "You get what you pay for".
Not expecting perfection, but when the issue can be seen in normal content (any light color/heavily white content) then that's just not good enough. £1500 is allot of money to me, like a month and a halfs wages. I have no money issues but I'm not about to waste that on a faulty TV. When I say yellow stain I dont mean very slightly where I have to squint to see it, I mean its easily visible on most backgrounds and changes the color temperature of that section of the TV (like 1/5 screen)

My Plasma has a perfect screen as far as I am concerned (st60 from like 5 year ago), no uniformity issues, no banding, its plenty bright enough, deals with blacks decent (yes they are grey, but quite a dark grey) and has no image retention issues. Yes the OLED blows it out the water in pretty much every department and it will really suck going back to do it.

Also you can't expect the manufacturer to actually improve if customers are willing to accept big flaws in a product that is all about the quality of the image you are looking at. I think LG even deny there are any issues.

Next one is being delivered tomorrow.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Just curious, what normal content are you noticing the tinting/tinge/stain? I've watched things like the thing (opening scene with all the snow), harry potter where harry sees dumbledore in the white lit up train station, interstellar (matt damon's planet), inception (the snow mountain/base scene) amongst other titles and not noticed it (unless specifically looking for it) and for some of those films, I had to zoom in otherwise there were black bars.

Also, might be worth remembering that even if you where to get a good/perfect one, the banding can still develop over time and it also varies between compensation cycles, seen plenty of people who initially had a good panel but a few months down the line, vertical banding became noticeable..... Tinting "shouldn't" develop though, however, if there is some there initially, some have said, it got worse with time too.....

Soldato
Tinting "shouldn't" develop though, however, if there is some there initially, some have said, it got worse with time too.....
it is differential ageing of the sub-pixels, they just have lookup tables to predict and compensate the effect, but, for some off of the production line it is not going to be as accurate,
unfortunately the TV cannot monitor the output colour itself, or alternatively, you cannot have it re-tuned.
For returned panels they can probably adjust the pixel reponse across the screen to fix it.

My Plasma has a perfect screen as far as I am concerned (st60 from like 5 year ago), no uniformity issues, no banding, its plenty bright enough, deals with blacks decent (yes they are grey, but quite a dark grey) and has no image retention issues. Yes the OLED blows it out the water in pretty much every department and it will really suck going back to do it.
for the large screen sizes they will be bringing out the micro-leds (once the pick and place machines are up to it), not so different in tech to the plasma, which should again be perfect.

Soldato
Just curious, what normal content are you noticing the tinting/tinge/stain? I've watched things like the thing (opening scene with all the snow), harry potter where harry sees dumbledore in the white lit up train station, interstellar (matt damon's planet), inception (the snow mountain/base scene) amongst other titles and not noticed it (unless specifically looking for it) and for some of those films, I had to zoom in otherwise there were black bars.

Also, might be worth remembering that even if you where to get a good/perfect one, the banding can still develop over time and it also varies between compensation cycles, seen plenty of people who initially had a good panel but a few months down the line, vertical banding became noticeable..... Tinting "shouldn't" develop though, however, if there is some there initially, some have said, it got worse with time too.....
You wont see it in normal movies as as you said black bars cover it.
Things like many animated movies, tv shows, anime, youtube etc that uses the full screen, anything that has any light colours/white backgrounds it visible.
And yes I know about banding which can't be avoided no matter what you do on all LED TV's.

Soldato
That's the clincher for me. You can run all the test screens you like and every time pick up faults with all but a few TVs but in the end it's how it appears to you during normal use what really matters. This is why I don't actually bother with test screens. If you're still seeing issues during normal use though then what's the point in keeping it? That thing would bug you forever.

Associate
Gah, hit another snag. The volume is setting to 0 6 or 7 times an hour without any input from the remote. Been on to LG support and they say they are aware of the problem and it WILL be fixing in the next few days with a firmware update.

Caporegime
Sounds like you got a pretty bad panel matsy then as mine isn't noticeable at all with normal usage.

Just loving OLED with HDR and gaming on oled @ 120HZ is pure bliss too, just wish I had some new exciting/good games to play on it.... hurry up far cry 5!!!!!!

Associate
I managed to snag a OLED55C7V while it was still at £1499, late last month. No issues, other than I still need to play with the settings when I get the time. It's the most expensive screen I have ever bought and I have not regretted it for a second. Everything is crystal clear, 4K looks amazing, and gaming on a PS4 Pro is on another level.

Soldato
Sounds like you got a pretty bad panel matsy then as mine isn't noticeable at all with normal usage.

Just loving OLED with HDR and gaming on oled @ 120HZ is pure bliss too, just wish I had some new exciting/good games to play on it.... hurry up far cry 5!!!!!!
Got the 4th one the other day, this is by far the best one so far but there is still a yellow tint on the bottom. However its very dependant on viewing angle this time. Sitting about 2m away with eyes level to centre of the screen the tint is veeeeeery faint and can't see it on regular content apart from a mostly white screen and even then its faint. If I go lower the tint gradually becomes more and more noticeable as the angle changes.

This one is a Feb 2018 build.

Very conflicted on this...still don't think its good enough but knowing my luck so far I'd get a worse one next time....

Soldato
I saw the B7's dropped back to £1499 everywhere today.
Gave me a bit of a headache as I'd made my decision what to buy and then that happened....
Anyway, I decided not to go OLED this time. Sorry, but any possibility of image burn/retention is too much for me. All well and good with "well I haven't had a problem" - I'm sure you haven't, in the year you've owned it :)

I'm sure OLED is the best you can currently get. Never having owned one I'm hoping it'll be a case of "cannot miss what you never had". I'd say if you're going OLED, this is probably going to be the low price you'll see before the 2018 models make their appearance, around £1k more expensive.
For the record I decided on the XE9305 instead - so it's not a case of a "bitter person who couldn't afford it making up stories".

Caporegime
^^

There are plenty of people who have owned an oled TV for 3+ years and still no burn in. It is much like plasma too, except plasma was MUCH worse for it than oled but if you were careful again, it could be avoided although no matter what I did, temporary image retention was awful on plasma.

But yes, if your content viewing is along the lines of news channels every day with high oled light etc. then I would avoid oled too.

I suspect we will see the c and b drop to £1350 again at some point via currys though, especially in their next sale which iirc is usually in the next couple of months.

Got the 4th one the other day, this is by far the best one so far but there is still a yellow tint on the bottom. However its very dependant on viewing angle this time. Sitting about 2m away with eyes level to centre of the screen the tint is veeeeeery faint and can't see it on regular content apart from a mostly white screen and even then its faint. If I go lower the tint gradually becomes more and more noticeable as the angle changes.

This one is a Feb 2018 build.

Very conflicted on this...still don't think its good enough but knowing my luck so far I'd get a worse one next time....

If what you got isn't problematic in normal viewing conditions and normal content etc. then keep it otherwise you will just end up like many on the avsforums etc. i.e. in a constant RMA cycle trying to get that perfect one and in the end never getting one that was quite as good as a previous one you had. Just start enjoying the TV for what it is and trust me after a bit, you will get tired of looking for issues and forget about them at some stage, at least that is what it was like for me, checking slides etc. every day to make sure banding etc. wasn't getting worse to not even bothering to load one up unless I notice it in normal content.

Start concentrating on the positives of the TV rather than the negatives ;)

Soldato
^^

There are plenty of people who have owned an oled TV for 3+ years and still no burn in. It is much like plasma too, except plasma was MUCH worse for it than oled but if you were careful again, it could be avoided although no matter what I did, temporary image retention was awful on plasma.

But yes, if your content viewing is along the lines of news channels every day with high oled light etc. then I would avoid oled too.

I suspect we will see the c and b drop to £1350 again at some point via currys though, especially in their next sale which iirc is usually in the next couple of months.

If what you got isn't problematic in normal viewing conditions and normal content etc. then keep it otherwise you will just end up like many on the avsforums etc. i.e. in a constant RMA cycle trying to get that perfect one and in the end never getting one that was quite as good as a previous one you had. Just start enjoying the TV for what it is and trust me after a bit, you will get tired of looking for issues and forget about them at some stage, at least that is what it was like for me, checking slides etc. every day to make sure banding etc. wasn't getting worse to not even bothering to load one up unless I notice it in normal content.

Start concentrating on the positives of the TV rather than the negatives ;)

But don't you feel that ANY kind of babysitting requirement on a £1400+ device means that it isn't right? That it's a technology that isn't quite ready for mass market?
"All you've got to do is not watch Sky Sports all day long" - if that was the only requirement then everyone would be flocking to OLED. You play games for 3-4 hours a day, a static hud can cause problems. Well you should vary your games - but I shouldn't have to!
Likewise, if I wanted to watch Sky Sports all day long, I should be able to.
"Turn your brightness down" - but what if I wanted the perfect image, maybe the environment in my house demands that I need higher brightness, but I need to turn it down to "preserve my £1400+ TV"?

As I said above, I know OLED offers the best image quality. I know HDR performance cannot be matched by LCD/LED - that isn't the argument.
I just cannot believe that you should have to do any kind of compromising - be it your viewing habits, your gaming habits, or TV setup, when you're spending that kind of money.
You wouldn't buy a car and expect to be told how fast you can drive, or what environments. You wouldn't buy a receiver and expect to be told what you can and cannot listen to. You wouldn't buy a mobile and expect to be told what apps you can use, how long you can play games on it for etc.

I personally hope each and every OLED owner never has a problem. That their purchases continue to be as good as they day they were purchased until the day the owner decides to upgrade again.
But it just beggars belief that this technology is so expensive, and apparently ready for mass market - so long as you listen to the caveat, and adjust your viewing habits accordingly.

Back
Top Bottom