Lian Li Mini-Q Quad Core ITX

Soldato
thought id pop this up on here as it might interest people..

i needed to build a new photo editing rig (Photoshop CS3 and Lightroom 2.5) but had minimal desk space. no optical drive required or any mass storage as my HTPC has more than enough shared storage. started looking at shuttle bare bones but struggled finding one i liked the look of for the right price.

then found the Lian Li Mini-Q (PC-Q07) ITX case.. perfect, looks nice and clean and not a bad price.

next problem, most of the ITX boards came pre packed with the Atom processor.. no good for me. the only solution seemed to be the range of boards from Zotac supporting the LGA775 socket and up to 8Gb DDR2. thatll do nicely.. had some issues finding stock of the zotac and ended up ordering that from somewhere else compared to the rest of the kit.

likewise with the memory, i have opted for 8Gb of Geil Black Dragon DDR2 which has a longer lead time for shipping than the rest of the bits so have temporarily sourced some Corsair XMS which i may sell on when the Geil arrives or it may accidentally end up topping up the memory in my HTPC lol

So, my spec is:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz
ZOTAC GF9300-D-E / GeForce 9300 / ITX Motherboard
1TB Samsung HD103UI EcoGreen F1
4GB (2x2GB) Corsair TwinX XMS2 DDR2 (until my GEIL 8GB (2x 4GB) Black Dragon turns up)
550W Corsair CMPSU-550VXUK ATX PSU

imagine my disgust when all the kit bar the motherboard turned up on xmas eve and i had to wait another 5 days for that to arrive (and even then the moron from the "Home Delivery Network" courier left it outside on the doorstep in the rain).

anyway i have it built up now and running with the 4Gb...

Pics..

A pile of goodies :D
4226588410_84bd9a5703.jpg

Brushed sexiness..
4225837019_73f5efb772.jpg

PSU trial fitted.. it was such a tight fit that i had to remove the stickers from the side of the unit to get it in the hole. in hindsight the corsair has a LOT of cable, its going to be a bit of a cramped fit
4225838459_46b5927534.jpg

Hurrah the motherboard arrived!
4233459599_7fb2f29e30.jpg

the powerplant..
4233461317_2fdc8f232b.jpg

one issue i did have with the stock intel heatsink was the clearance between the cable clips on the fan and the memory and northbridge heatsink.. ended up snapping the clips off and cable tying the fan cable on
4234235700_9c04db7966.jpg

the geil doesnt have heatsinks/spreaders so there should be a little more clearance later (hopefully)
4234237700_1491c818bb.jpg

motherboard built up
4234239620_8e36162c65.jpg

motherboard installed and samsung hooked up
4234242156_a18376e08e.jpg

thats the lot for now, for some reason i didnt take a pic of the snug power cables but im going to have to take it apart to fit the geil memory next week (hopefully) so will take one then.

windows 7 is on and running sweetly, no driver issues at all as Zotac have W7 drivers published for download. Photoshop fires up pretty much instantly, just need to get Lightroom mapped up to my storage and configured.

at some point i'll do some proper benchmarking once the 8Gb has gone in.

i'll try and get a pic tomorrow of it hooked up to the dell 2209 screen also.

if anyone wants to ask any questions feel free :)

Soldato
OP
psypher - dont have a dvd to hand but is this any use?

4237930942_559fabdce3.jpg

hairy - at the moment idle temps are 45c on the cores. im not overly happy with stock intel heatsinks/fans but its worth remembering that other than the PSU fan its the only one in there as the mini-q is marketed as a fan-less case so they may be a little higher than normal.. i dont have any load temps at the moment, im waiting for the Geil to turn up before i do any benchmarking or load testing..

Associate
seems pretty good to me,

what about when loaded?

I had a problem with my zotac board which took me a while to figure out.

The temp would increase and cause it to cut out.

Turned out it needed the chipset heatsink reseating, this lowered the temps right down.

Looks like a machine to be happy with

Associate
Similar build to mine I posted about a few weeks ago except I am using the Geil Black Dragon DDR2 and E5200.

Build Log with pictures here.

How are you finding temps?

Have you tried overclocking?

Did you also have to change the Pin postion for the case light to work?

I have managed to overclock my E5200 yet as I cant seem to get the voltage bump set in the bios to take affect. I can get it stable at 2.8 but need that bump for 3Ghz.

Last edited:
Associate
Nice build, I guess you've found that a modular Corsair might have been an easier fit. If the VX550 is like most other Corsair PSUs and has a 120mm fan drawing the air through it over the CPU you might find that you get better temps if you remove the CPU fan or replace it with a 3rd part one which doesn't pull the air down over the CPU. As the fans are pulling in opposite directions you get less air movement.

Pretty beasty machine in a small box though, I like it. Its also great to see what people consider normal storage sizes now :D

no optical drive required or any mass storage as my HTPC has more than enough shared storage.

and you pop a 1TB drive in :D Hope it works well for you.

Soldato
OP
Similar build to mine I posted about a few weeks ago except I am using the Geil Black Dragon DDR2 and E5200.

Build Log with pictures here.

How are you finding temps?

Have you tried overclocking?

Did you also have to change the Pin postion for the case light to work?

I have managed to overclock my E5200 yet as I cant seem to get the voltage bump set in the bios to take affect. I can get it stable at 2.8 but need that bump for 3Ghz.

hey nice build, i did have a search for anyone else using this case but didnt find anything..

i still havent pushed the rig yet so havent got any proper load temps.

not going to overclock it, the stock speed should be plenty for its purpose :)

pin position? the power and HDD led's work okay from what the manual stated on mine, i think i have an earlier revision to yours though. mine only has the 2 SATA connectors.

Nice build, I guess you've found that a modular Corsair might have been an easier fit. If the VX550 is like most other Corsair PSUs and has a 120mm fan drawing the air through it over the CPU you might find that you get better temps if you remove the CPU fan or replace it with a 3rd part one which doesn't pull the air down over the CPU. As the fans are pulling in opposite directions you get less air movement.

Pretty beasty machine in a small box though, I like it. Its also great to see what people consider normal storage sizes now :D

and you pop a 1TB drive in :D Hope it works well for you.

yeah in hindsite a modular PSU would have been a better idea lol.. hopefully im not going to have to take it apart all to often so shouldnt have much problem with it..

im going to keep an eye on the temps and see how it goes, i may replace the stock intel cooler at some point. its not the quietest fan in the world, i'll probably get annoyed with it lol

hey the F1 was kinda the best drive for the rest of the spec, i couldnt go sticking any old SATA drive in there now could i.. :D

Associate
hey the F1 was kinda the best drive for the rest of the spec, i couldnt go sticking any old SATA drive in there now could i.. :D

Not insulting your choice at all. The F1's are brilliant drives. I've just replace 4x 500GB F1's with a single 320GB F1 and 2x 1.5TB eco Sammies... They are by far the quietest hard drives I've used and I've not had any issues with them.

Was just noting how storage capacity demand has increased in the last few years :)

Soldato
OP
thats cool, was only jesting with my response :)

F1's are around 55-60 quid these days, theyre fast, quiet and run pretty cool so perfect in my eyes for this purpose.

but yeah 1TB drives are becoming more and more popular these days.. i remember when hard drives were sub 1Gb lol

Soldato
OP
hacked off with the noisey poxy intel cooler already..

ordered a Alpenföhn Panorama 'Low Profile' CPU Cooler, I've read of other Zotac GF9300 users fitting them so hopefully it'll fit...

:confused:

panorama500.png

still waiting for my Geil to turn up :mad:

Associate
I'd like to see the cable management, I'm planning a build with this case and was wondering if a Pico PSU would run a budget build of £400?

Soldato
OP
there isnt much cable management with the corsair psu installed.. the excess cable is tucked up in the 5.25" bay up top. in hindsite modular psu was probably a good idea.

the pico also looks like a bloody good idea lol

while im here, heres a (crappy quality) pic of my desk now..

22445_277415344814_572309814_4651254_1401111_n.jpg

still waiting on arrival of memory and cooler although theres a parcel waiting for me at work, which it is i dont know lol

Associate
Keep updates coming !
Got similar bits arriving monday, but starting with a E5300 and using a corsair hx 450 modular psu, ordered an Alpenföhn too. Prefer the tower configuration of this case over the low and deep case of the sg05/6 and the fact it uses standard components.

Associate
I also have the same case and setup. I'm interested to know how good the cooler is? and does it fit if you have ram with high workstations!

Elickser I had a E5200 running at 3.4Ghz all be it with hi temps on the zotac board.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
latest chapter - modular PSU here i come?

right well got the cooler and geil fitted.. cooler fits which is a good start.. just.

however refitting the PSU REALLY tested my patience tonight. and as it turns out ive got a cable rubbing on a fan somewhere so i need to strip it down again. but ive thrown in the towel tonight before it ends up exiting via the window.. lol

will try again tomorrow night or if i manage to clear some space at work i may take it to work.

latest installment of pics:

err, its a tad big...

ooh it clears!

clears the memory too! could be on to a winner...

goodo cant see any arctic silver oozing out the sides

the geil fitted.. mmmm 8GB

starting to panic, its a little tall.. too close to call

mounted back up in the case

proper cosy. not sure if you can make out the bundles of cable poked up in the 5.25" drive hole?

LOADSAROOM!

thats it for now.. temps on the new cooler to follow once ive ironed out the PSU fitment issues.. lol

Back
Top Bottom