Lian Li Mini-Q Quad Core ITX

Soldato
OP
unless..

im going to put my 550W Corsair CMPSU-550VXUK ATX PSU in the MM, if anyone wants to make me a decent offer i might get a modular unit and save the faffing..

Soldato
Looking good so far but a Corsair modular PSU would definitely help, the cables are quite thin so should take up minimal space.

You should only need the main 24 pin, p4 + Sata power cables plugged in looking at it.

Associate
Definitely tight in there! Glad the cooler fits ok.
Be interesting to see how temps go.
I was wondering if it would be worth while flipping the cpu fan over and also turning the psu around so that everything was sucking away from the motherboard, instead of blowing, and the two fans were then helping each other rather than working independently, hot air exhausting through the psu? Just a thought for later.
All my bits have arrived , not unpacked yet though.

Soldato
OP
right its no longer rubbing but the LED jumpers are the wrong way around and i cant be arsed to try and swap them over at the moment.

havent got time to run it up properly now so temps tonight when im home.

PSU is still in MM, reeeeally could do with a modular in this case.

edit - in fact ive got some milage coming thursday so ive just ordered a bequiet 480w BN121 modular..

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
right, PSU's are now swapped...

before and after. a significant amount less cable lol

flipped the CPU fan too as suggested earlier...

...and put the PSU in so that it sucked out the hot air from the CPU

a bit of rear end action

this is my new idle temp

Soldato
Great setup there neil im doing Htpc setup but the zotac 9300s are hard to get hold of now there bringing out the new p55 mini micro itx boards

Soldato
OP
cheers, im chuffed with it now its all running spot on :) i got mine from the place that is the opposite of stop.. seemed to be the only place with stock at the time.

Soldato
OP
thanks very much :)

i think the only future additions i can think of are going to be maybe an SSD as an OS drive and maybe something like the zotac 9800GT slimline card so i can get another 2209WA on the desk.

Associate
Finished building my one, very impressed with it. Lovely looking case and with the Alpenföhn cooler temps are surprisingly good and very quiet.
Not really got a need for a graphics card yet, maybe later. Get a windows experience score of 3.8 which is not bad for onboard gpu and adequate for my present needs.

Associate
The fact that the Lian Li uses a standard ATX power supply for mini itx is utterly stupid. A 550 power supply is very inefficient when only drawing 50 watts of power. I have a similar system but it uses a 3ghz wolfdale and total current draw is <50 watts

You are wasting power.

The 550 watt PSU you are using is 80 plus. At 50 watts its loaded at only 10%. The 80 plus spec says that it must be 80% efficient at 20% loading. But at 10% I bet its more like 70% efficient. Thus for every 50 watts you burn, you are wasting 15 watts!!!! Which means your "green" drives etc are utterly pointless. A better choice would be to use a 60-90 Watt Pico PSU. But the Lian Li doesnt even come with a blanking plate for external PSU, which is why I hate the case and any mini ITX project that uses it. Sorry

Soldato
OP
thanks for your input.. to be honest im not concerned about wasting power.

but if we're going down this road.. for starters the ATI 4650 has a minimum recommended PSU of 400w.

plus if youd read the thread youd see im now using a 480w PSU. not that youd always draw 480w through it.

also i didnt buy a "green" drive for power consumption reasons, more so for the speed, noise and temperature specs of the F1.

which is why I hate the case and any mini ITX project that uses it.

the only thing im going to say to that is that youre entitled to your opinion. no matter how stupid..

Associate
thanks for your input.. to be honest im not concerned about wasting power.

but if we're going down this road.. for starters the ATI 4650 has a minimum recommended PSU of 400w.

plus if youd read the thread youd see im now using a 480w PSU. not that youd always draw 480w through it.

also i didnt buy a "green" drive for power consumption reasons, more so for the speed, noise and temperature specs of the F1.

the only thing im going to say to that is that youre entitled to your opinion. no matter how stupid..

If your not bothered about power, then why go down the route of mini itx?

BTW dont call me stupid, noob.

Back
Top Bottom