Lian Li Mini-Q Quad Core ITX

Soldato
OP
ooh hello, havent been on for a bit and only just noticed updates on this thread.

tankskun - the auction place. the standard (black) USB header is still in place i just needed the extension to clear the grapics card.

jmp_78 - thank you :) got a bit of an update too soon (see below)

c.ruel - yeah there are a few compremises in the case but i does work extremely well. to be honest with the PSU acting as the exhaust fan no other fans are needed, but yes youre right about the GFX card options being limited.

right update..

i decided that my backup routine needed an off side archive so i have purchased:

LG BH10LS30.AUAU10B 10x BD-RE & DVD±RW

now this means that the hard drive needs to come out of the 5.25 bay and a standard 3.5 drive wont fit with the GFX card in place.. so that means only one thing... SSD:

OCZ Vertex 60GB SSD 2.5" SATA-II 230MB/s Read, 135 MB/s Write

:)

photo updates when the parts arrive, got them on a slow free delivery method as im away for a few days.

Soldato
OP
Do you know if it is possible to swap out the 2 front USB's to Run USB 3.0 speeds when using a USB 3.0 compatible board?

Sorta like on the new Lian Li Q08-B case?

i dont know im afraid it may be worth emailing lian li direct, apparently theyre quite helpful

Soldato
OP
Nice build. What about using a Pico PSU? Can that be done? Like the case very much indeed. Quite fancy a go myself.

was discussed a little on page 2 i think.. i think it could be done, personally im not sure it would cope with higher load from the CPU during high usuage?

SSD and BD-R drive have arrived now, just waiting on some time where I can strip the box down without needing to use it.

Soldato
Been looking at small cases for some time and this one is very appealling to me. Not sure about the PSU though as that looks very tight. Would a Pico PSU support an Athlon Quad 2.9 CPU, Hard drive, 4gig ram and onboard graphics?

Soldato
OP
Been looking at small cases for some time and this one is very appealling to me. Not sure about the PSU though as that looks very tight. Would a Pico PSU support an Athlon Quad 2.9 CPU, Hard drive, 4gig ram and onboard graphics?

with the cpu cooler i used there is actually a nice amount of space around the PSU.

as for he pico option you would have to try and work out the total power draw your system is liable to use at its peak and see if a pico can handle that.

Soldato
OP
sorry for the lack of updates, been trying to squeeze in the upgrade between work (as its my main editing box i cant have too much downtime as i need to get prints done and out of the door etc)..

SSD is now in..

couldnt clone the drive in the end, most cloning apps i tried would not let me image from a larger to a smaller drive.. so reinstalled windows 7 (nice to clear out the crap seeing as im limited to 60Gb now)

in bits..

scuse the lack of photos, you can see the LG BD-R in the background and the Samsung 1TB in the foreground transferring files.

first thoughts are windows load time hasnt really sped up anything noticable but CS3 and LR2 loads very quickly and in windows everything is much much snappier.

i followed a suggested list of OS changes for the OCZ:

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/f...ormal-use-most-of-these-tweaks-are-NOT-needed.

next job swapping the Netgear ReadyNAS nv+ for the Synology DS1010+..

Soldato
OP
Lack of updates recently due to moving house but now we're in got my set up how i want it finally..

2x Dell 2209WA, Spyder 3 Calibrator, Wacom Bamboo Fun Small, Sennheiser hd25-1 ii, HTC Desire, Logitech Di-Novo Edge, Logitech MX620 Laser Mouse.

PC Final Spec - Lian Li Mini-Q, Zotac 9300 ITX, Intel Q9550 Quad, Geil 8Gb DDR2-800, OCZ Vertex 60Gb, XFX Ati HD4650 1Gb, LG BH10LS30 BD-RE, Be-Quiet 480w modular. Storage - Synology DS1010+ w/ 3x Samsung HD203WI 2TB in RAID5. Network - Netgear GS108.

Desk - Ikea Vika Amon and Alex combo, Signum cable solution

Associate
This isnt a good choice of case to build an M-ITX gaming rig into,at least not without some modding.

It has little to no airflow and will cook higher end components.
In it's stock form I think you'd get away with an i5 750/760 and a lower power gfx card such as a 5670,any more than this and you'd be looking to mod the case.

The Q11 which is the soon to be released update to this case has the same footprint,but with "slighty" better cooling potential.
Other than that it the usual SG05/6/7 and the Lian-li Q-08.

If you dont fancy any of those Langear also has an m-itx case in the works although there's no actual release date for it yet.

Back
Top Bottom