Lian Li Mini-Q Quad Core ITX

Associate
This isnt a good choice of case to build an M-ITX gaming rig into,at least not without some modding.

It has little to no airflow and will cook higher end components.
In it's stock form I think you'd get away with an i5 750/760 and a lower power gfx card such as a 5670,any more than this and you'd be looking to mod the case.

The Q11 which is the soon to be released update to this case has the same footprint,but with "slighty" better cooling potential.
Other than that it the usual SG05/6/7 and the Lian-li Q-08.

If you dont fancy any of those Langear also has an m-itx case in the works although there's no actual release date for it yet.

I knew this would be the case. What kind of mods would you recommend, i was thinking of putting some taller feet on to the case to allow a fan to be placed underneath to either push or draw air out with air holes drilled into the bottom of the case.

This is the only thought i have had so far as i am not that experienced with modding computers to this extent.

The main reason i am willing to mod the q07 is because of the small footprint it has on the desk and also its looks. The q11 seems like a very good compromise. Also allowing me to have a full sized double slot card. Do you know when these will be avaliable ?

Soldato
OP
i dont think it make a good gaming case fullstop really as youre really restricted on graphics cards due to length and if youre running a 3.5" hard drive.

but cooling wise i dont think its too bad, i mean running a (granted stock) 775 socket quad on a decent cooler for 10 hours at 100% load previously in the thread didnt work out too bad temp wise.

Associate
I knew this would be the case. What kind of mods would you recommend, i was thinking of putting some taller feet on to the case to allow a fan to be placed underneath to either push or draw air out with air holes drilled into the bottom of the case.

This is the only thought i have had so far as i am not that experienced with modding computers to this extent.

The main reason i am willing to mod the q07 is because of the small footprint it has on the desk and also its looks. The q11 seems like a very good compromise. Also allowing me to have a full sized double slot card. Do you know when these will be avaliable ?

The Q11 should start appearing at the end of this month/early September.

Again though it still isnt a good choice for ramming "high end" components into,the power draw on a loaded i7 860 and gfx card ~200 watts is a ton more heat than this case is designed to deal with.
The only exhaust is still the psu fan,and there is no "active" cooling built into the case.

Last edited:
Associate
I have managed to cram an i5 750 and a ati 5750 in mine. It does run quite hot so I am currently looking at putting an 80mm in the top and I have already put a 80mm on the lower left.

The 5750 is a double slot but with a bit of modding it fitted easily. I have a scythe shuriken on the i5 750 and have had to undervolt it a touch but with the side fan only I get 75c on the ati (running at 800/1350) and 85c on the i5 running prime and furmark. Gaming usually runs about 5-10c less.

Soldato
OP
eurgh..

just gone to add on an eSATA iceybox to move off the Adobe Lightroom databases to and the friggin eSATA port on the zotac is bust.

fortunately its just within a year old so its being RMA'd. better not be without it too long.. :rolleyes:

Soldato
OP
yeah its definately worth concidering.

i dont think i'll be doing anything more with this rig now, i didnt realise it was nearly a year old next week. i think i'll run this box as is until i go for something monster (depending on how business goes on the photography front) like a mac pro running windows or if i can source the parts for less a custom twin xeon :D

Back
Top Bottom