LiE's Log Part 2

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
but then thinking about it, I still find it really hard to get my wrists straight on the bar when squatting so something still massively tight. I'm thinking it's my pecs because I've been hammering my internal rotation for quite a while now.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
You'll notice a big difference making sure the shoulders are pinned back and the upper back is tight. It creates a more solid base to push from.

Man of Honour
but then thinking about it, I still find it really hard to get my wrists straight on the bar when squatting so something still massively tight. I'm thinking it's my pecs because I've been hammering my internal rotation for quite a while now.
Everyone who benches has tight pecs, certainly. Tight pecs have a massive effect on internal/external rotation.

Getting the forearm into position for squats is more a matter of external rotation.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
I need to find a stick or bar to do some external rotation stuff. Do you have any videos to other stuff that doesn't involved holding a bar?

Man of Honour
Ice, is what you have me doing for my shoulder prior to Squatting any good to LiE? ie what you showed me on the bar? As it can be done on a wall/anything...
Yes.

LiE, there are some vids in the OP to the mobility thread. If you want moar then bump it up and I'll find some more specific ones (I can't remember which ones I included).

Scap pinched dislocations are good too.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
Yes.

LiE, there are some vids in the OP to the mobility thread. If you want moar then bump it up and I'll find some more specific ones (I can't remember which ones I included).

Scap pinched dislocations are good too.

I'll take a look thanks.

Edit: This looks good - http://www.ericcressey.com/shoulder-mobility-drills-how-to-improve-external-rotation

you mean eating breakfast at breakfast time instead of at 10am!!! :p:D

9am actually ;)

Hip flexor is slowly getting better after working on it with the foam roller. Should mean I can do single leg work tomorrow but no squatting. Shouldn't affect my deadlifts tonight and my bicep feels fine now so I can do some pulling.

Last edited:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
Deads
80x8 - RDL
100x7 - RDL
120x3
140x2
170x2
200x1
230x3 - (92% of my RM) This is my current 3RM. I was a bit fatigued going into the set from Tuesday RDLs. Not that pleased with how they look, but they felt fine.

NG Chins

1 Arm Standing Cable Rows
(per arm)
17.5x10 x3 - nice strict rows with scap pinch.

Glute med band work
- ridiculous burn while looking like a girl.

Then I did these 2.
http://www.mobilitywod.com/2010/09/free-your-scap-free-your-mind.html
Pec was massively limiting ROM on the first segment, so I'm going to do my pec first next time. Also have a very tight area under my right armpit at the back where the lat meets the rear delt (going to smash it with the lacrosse)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rjaJvBKS94
Pain face.

Need to work on a few things to smooth out dat form.

Last edited:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
I think the tight area under my arm is actually skin/stretch mark that's hurting a little. It's a different feeling to anything muscular. Touching the skin I can feel the burning there as the skin is a little tender. Strange.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
Spent today doing walk outs in the squat rack and also working on my shoulder tightness. Started by hitting the pecs with the lacrosse ball, then got under the bar, no go. Shoulders needed hitting. Stretched internal rotation and got back under the bar, much better, but not perfect. I worked on some more stretches and did a little soft tissue work on the front delts but I was still missing a piece.

My left elbow/bicep started to get sore towards the end due to the tightness. I'm convinced it's my external rotation now, so I'm going to hit that hard next time and I should be on track. Need to find a good selection of mobility for external shoulder rotation that don't involved holding a stick (don't have access to one).

The walkouts. I started at 100kg and worked up to 210kg, 2 walkouts at each weight. Focusing on really controlling the bar and being pure tightness. I held the weight for 5-6s then returned it. The effort required to hold weight above 190 is quite a lot. Going to keep doing these until they are more comfortable. Having full range in my shoulders will help a lot.

Last edited:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
Thanks ice, the 3rd video looks good. I did the 3 pieces in the 2nd video yesterday which were good, going to keep doing those. I think I'll be able to the first video at home on lying on the floor with a broom handle.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
A bit of chest and lots of mobility. Really smashed my shoulders/scap/pecs. I did a retest after with OHP and I had improved my overhead position. I then retested the bar on my back in my squat position and found it hadn't really improved. I still have a pretty hard block there. So, going to really keep hammering the mobility and until I can comfortably get on the bar with straight wrists I'll have to compromise with bend wrists, to save my biceps.

Paused Bench
BAR
60x7
80x5
100x3
120x1
130x3 - comfortable even with a good hold at the top.

Incline DB Press
22.5x10
32.5x10
42.5x10
50x10 - my sore biceps were giving me aggro so sacked off more sets on this weight

40 minutes of mobility.

My plan is to really attack the mobility this week and hopefully return to squats next week if my hip has recovered.

Back
Top Bottom