LiE's Log Part 2

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
Your back seems to lose tightness/position at your knee. This isn't necessarily a back strength thing (it could actually be your legs), but what ever it is you seem to compensate well and keep the bar moving well. Your slightly kyphotic set up allows you to be faster off the floor than if you were flat backed, and then the fact that your back is strong as **** gets your past your knees.

You think this is down to my medial glute weakness?

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
Perfect! Order black and blue.
I'm going to double up my red band until they come. Now I have to get on with the girly exercises :p

Last edited:
Man of Honour
You think this is down to my medial glute weakness?
Yes, in a complicated kind of way.

You're very adapted to moving in such a way that loads your back.

Poor torque through hips <---> weak glute med. ---> poor knee positioning ---> poor spine stiffness ---> more loading of any back muscles that cause extension and stiffness ---> those muscles adapt and take more responsibility for trunk stability

The theory on where to go with this isn't exactly concrete. At a certain point though, the way you move is the way you are strong, so trying to completely change the way you move might have limited usefulness.

You can certainly try to optimise your knee/hip positions, but you're going to have to really build some mass on your legs and glutes. Essentially, your legs are going to have to get almost as hench as your back :D LOADS of single leg work where reps only count if your external rotation and knee position is good.

You could also try a step up progression, where you'd use a low step and really focus on knee positions. Only add weight when you can do all the reps in a set perfectly. This is what our mate with the 300kg squat is currently doing, he's still doing bodyweight and using a very low step!

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
Yea no doubt my legs are the weak link, I'm not gonna lie I didn't train them much when I first set foot in the gym. I'm now playing catch up.

Single leg work I'm planning to do BSS and offset reverse lunges. Then I've got a host of band stuff to work on my medial glutes. I'll do some step ups too, I'm just not sure I'm the best person to gauge how good my knee position is. The knee will go to the side and remain over mid foot in all my single leg work.

Soldato
we got the squat :)

just missed the bench, and i didnt think to record the DL as it wasnt a pb and i was in a bit of a buzzy trance at that point lol

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
Still fatigued from Saturday I manned up and did some bench and legs. FUUUU it was hard.

Paused Bench
Bar
Bar
60x6
80x5
100x3
120x5 - taxing with the added 2s hold at the top. Worked on bringing the bar down quicker too.
120x5 - Managed it!
Adding in the hold at the top definitely fatigues me quicker so going to keep that going.

Squat
Bar - getting my hands on the bar was harder after bench.
60x6
90x5
100x5
120x5
120x5
140x2
Keeping it light and working on screwing my feet into the floor and exploded at the top. Towards the end I decreased my feet turn out which seems to help (see video)

Offset Reserve Lunges (per leg)
8x10
16x8 - wow that tension/effort needed to stabilise was quite a lot.
16x8 - knee starting to waver now.

DBSS (per leg)
BWx10 x3
Stayed with BW as I was really tired now, and focused on creating tension and keeping it tight. The burn was immense.

Glute Med work - X-band walks and Clams
fuark the burn was crazy. I was actually wobbly standing up after these!

This is my 120 set with my feet turned out less. Not sure what happened to my left knee on the last rep.

Was pretty tired after this but just wanted to see how 140 felt with less feet turn out and screwing my feet.

Ultimately I think I'm not going to fix this until my glute medial is bought up to scratch.

I was sure we got one of the benches.

Possibly I was distracted by the Ameribro trying to keep up with you...

That guy :eek: apparently he'd blown his rotator cuff at some point, no idea how he did that :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Man of Honour
There actually were spotters! Watchout your comments mrthingy :p

It's funny how you make such high % work seem so easy, but your sticking point bites you really hard.

Nice looking session. I can see the difference on the 140kg, but yeah I think it's going to require some time.

Back
Top Bottom