LinuxMint 6 released!

Man of Honour
Possibly the easiest linux distro on the planet, the wonderfully noob friendly Mint 6 is now released for your enjoyment, just like an After Eight. :)

http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_felicia_whatsnew.php

For the masochistic among you that cannot free yourself from the security blanket of Windows this version also includes mint4win, their version of Wubi so you can test it until you decide to wear long trousers. Enjoy.

Yes, it really is that good. :)

Soldato
I'd love to try some sort of linux distro, but I've just never seen the need to have it. I guess it'll just try it on dual boot or something :)

Man of Honour
OP
Or, as mentioned, you could try the mint4win feature. Just burn the disk and pop it into the drive and you are able to install/uninstall it as you would any other application so you don't even have to change your existing Windows install.

Linux developers are making it real easy to get your hands dirty these days. :)

Soldato
Fair enough :)

Does it just run as a full screen app? Wouldn't the performance be compromised from Vista running in the background?

Associate
No, it runs natively, the files will just be located inside a file inside the Window's partition (so file system performance may be a bit worse).

Soldato
I had an accident with my old computer so i had to reinstall.
I'm giving Mint6 a go right now and i must say it is just too easy it feels wrong.
Absolutely everything is working and running properly. Every driver and piece of software i need on a daily basis. Flash, MP3, DVD etc etc. The only thing is the GFX driver, which only too a few clicks as i knew what to do. that maybe not as easy for a complete noob.

Don
yup you can

you can just burn it to disc though, and boot from cd

it runs the full os in a live environment and from there gives you the option to install, as a fellow linux noobie, this is the dog's mate :)

Soldato
i'm a little confused, does it change the boot.ini in windows partition, just add extra line for linux just like wubi do?

i really dislike install ANY linux bootloader like GRUB or LILO etc

Soldato
i'm a little confused, does it change the boot.ini in windows partition, just add extra line for linux just like wubi do?

i really dislike install ANY linux bootloader like GRUB or LILO etc

It doesn't have a bootloader like GRUB etc, nor (do I think) that it modifies your Windows bootloader, afaik it's an additional one that sits just before Windows boots up.

Don
it's perfect for a web/mail/mp3 playing machine imo..
has a few inbuilt crappy games etc

hmm actually it has no games, must've been ubuntu that had them

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah mint comes with no games, if you want them you need to install "gnome games" I beleive.
Gonna try and update my laptop to Mint6, if it goes well I'm going to update my main PC, I just want the tabbed file browsing!!

Transmission breaker
Don
meh, wont install on my laptop, finishes the install re-boots, then falls over at the partition checking stage i think.

Tried a few times now, not having it.

Its a shame, as the VM i was using at work looked to be working quite well :(

Soldato
meh, wont install on my laptop, finishes the install re-boots, then falls over at the partition checking stage i think.

Tried a few times now, not having it.

Its a shame, as the VM i was using at work looked to be working quite well :(

Boo...have you tried via Mint4Win?

I assume that games support is simply whatever Wine can handle, plus things like Quake 4 which have been made natively for Linux...

Associate
still no support for my pci-e xfi xtreme audio :(
the problem is creative haven't made the drivers available for that card and its a right pain in the bum!

Back
Top Bottom