LinuxMint 6 released!

Soldato
It's been a while in coming but a KDE 4.2 version is here:

http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=731

I'm sure it will be worth it, although I am not yet convinced by 4.2, the minty goodness is too hard to resist. :)

avoid, kde 4.2.1 wasn't usable for me under arch linux, unless of course minty devs have seriously done major bug fixing.

I really like kde 4, just not very stable :(

Soldato
My machine boots and runs a Ubuntu 8.10 Live CD perfectly. But Linux Mint ? No go, all I get is a lot of DVD and hard disk activity followed by a blank screen. For me, it is totally useless.

Soldato
tried safe graphics mode, noapic etc etc etc?

No - I don't seem to get those options. I get an initial splash screen which seems to have a 10 sec countdown for something, but there is nothing much visible on screen apart from the Linux Mint banner

Soldato
do u get upto the language sellect screen?

No - I get the Linux logo thing with the bar going across, the bar gets all the way then the screen flashes briefly and then is just blank

Odd, Ubuntu works perfectly and Mint is based on Ubuntu, but they obviously broke something

Soldato
If I hit the escape key at the beginning, I get the option to run in compatibility mode - and then it does boot. But no network. Better that I just stick to Ubuntu

Soldato
new question again

Do I need a firewall with mint, I've seen Firestarter or something similar to that name, though on the download page I'm not sure what to download, Ubuntu download was what I was swaying towards :)

Man of Honour
OP
Firewall is included out of the box with Mint but you need to enable it, from under Administration. You certainly don't need av. :)

Soldato
final question ... I hope

Well I've basically feel in love with Linux, I'm not going back unless I need to, everything just...well works

Loving Banshee, the Itunesy thing

My only prob now is that I'm running the "install as a program in Windows" version of Mint, which stupidly I only allocated 3GB of virtual partition. Can I now give it more?

Back
Top Bottom