Little Garage Conversion - 'The dog house'

Soldato
Morning all,

We currently have an integral garage, well it is now we had a door knocked though into it. The original idea was to use this so when we are out the dog stays in here, however due to no natural light and also once the afternoon sun hits the garage door it turns into an oven which is a big no no for us to keep the dog on its own in here.

The original plan was to just stick up a stud wall, insulate it and put a tiny window in to let a bit of natural light in...this has now changed and I am now getting a man room/pc room which will free up the small bedroom upstairs and make the house a 4 bed again.

Anyway, today is the day work starts!

I am using friends who are in the trade so this will be a 3 - 4 week project at least as things are being done in their spare time, however the jobs which are going to be done:

• Stud Wall - Room will be 2.5m x 3m (will be insulated) - This will leave an approx 2.5m x 2m space to store bikes & garden equipment
  • Hang Firedoor - From the new room into the remaining part of garage
  • Make the door opening into room higher so there will be enough room to lay a carpet
  • Install a window
  • Box in / create a cupboard to hide the Combi Boiler
  • Insulate and board up the block wall
  • Install 4 down lighters and additional sockets

I have already ran some Cat5e cable which is connected up to a gigabyte switch in the loft. Currently the pc room is up in the smallest bedroom (2.5m x 2.5m) and connected via Powerlines so this will give a nice boost in speed.

After a bit of a clear out this is how it looks ready for work to start:

1BL0jXN.jpg
oiGMx5K.jpg
YOO9Klh.jpg

Will post updates as work begins :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Todays Progress:

Tomorrow the window goes in.

Electrics being sorted on Wednesday and then need to try and plan when the plastering can be done so I can arrange for the doors, skirting & architraves can be fitted.

Soldato
OP
Maybe it should be more of a 'shed'...useless for anything other than storage.

Who really uses a garage these days anyway? At both this and my last house it was only ever used as a dumping ground!

Associate
Been wanting to do similar to my internal garage. Divide it up and make a utility room. How did you make the dividing wall fire resistant? Is it special plaster board or something?

Soldato
OP
Been wanting to do similar to my internal garage. Divide it up and make a utility room. How did you make the dividing wall fire resistant? Is it special plaster board or something?

We haven't made the wall fireproof, however the walls which are existing are all fire rated plasterboard.

In total the whole project will be costing around £1000 and the room will be plastered, doors hung with architrave and skirting around the room.

Budgeting a further £150ish for carpet and £50 decorated.

Associate
Following this with interest. Needing to do the same thing by dividing the garage in half. Half for utility room and other half remaining as storage.

Are there rules that I should be following if I wanted to just put up the stud wall with a door in (my garage doesn't have any door into my main house)?

Soldato
OP
Really happy with the progress so far:

All ready for electrician to fit 4 downlights and 2 sockets on Wednesday.

Mate will then be coming back to fit a window board, plasterboard and skim the walls. At the same time as this we will be getting the oak doors fitted around the downstairs and the 2 doors in this study.

Soldato
OP
Following this with interest. Needing to do the same thing by dividing the garage in half. Half for utility room and other half remaining as storage.

Are there rules that I should be following if I wanted to just put up the stud wall with a door in (my garage doesn't have any door into my main house)?

I am no expert, however I don't see why you would need anything special here to be honest. It makes perfect sense to make use of a space like this, if you don't have any use other than a dumping place it really will make a great deal of difference to the house.

Soldato
OP
I was thinking that. Would a car fit in there?

Nonetheless, nice little project, this. Look forward to seeing progress.

It would be a very very tight squeeze. I think on the floor plan drawings they had a Fiat500 inside.

If I am honest I do not know anyone who uses their garage to park a car in these days (I know there are people out there who do!) however as I have mentioned this makes perfect use of a space I currently use as a junk dumping ground whilst still maintaining room to store bikes, mower, tools and other bits and pieces.

Associate
With the excepton of you having a window, this is the exact thing i'm looking to do for our garage. We've had a doorway through, created. Shed is being built next week, so most of the stuff in the garage can go into the shed.

Will be looking to split the garage into two spaces, office/den for me and the front bit as a utility.

Have you done anything by way of sound proofing? Particularly the ceiling? Sound travels really easily from our garage to the room above!

Soldato
OP
With the excepton of you having a window, this is the exact thing i'm looking to do for our garage. We've had a doorway through, created. Shed is being built next week, so most of the stuff in the garage can go into the shed.

Will be looking to split the garage into two spaces, office/den for me and the front bit as a utility.

Have you done anything by way of sound proofing? Particularly the ceiling? Sound travels really easily from our garage to the room above!

The stud wall will be stuffed with rockwool to insulate. Not done anything to soundproof the roof... However all that is above is bathroom and what will now be the ex. Study so not too bothered. Assume it will be the same as the living room and the rest of house.

Soldato
OP
Electrician in today, currently the spotlights have been fitted along with the wiring for sockets. More pics to follow later:

Back
Top Bottom