Little Garage Conversion - 'The dog house'

Soldato
OP
So today the joiner came to start fitting the doors downstairs.

He managed to fit the fire door in the new room (sorry for the Abstract photo but only way I could get the whole wall in:

C3j3R41.jpg

7QaLq8u.jpg

On a separate note he also fitted the Oak doors in the living room (doors to oil and protective film still needs to be removed on the glass panels):

E8uXFK2.jpg

Next the Joiner is back tomorrow to finish the rest of the Oak doors downstairs and also fit the door to complete the cupboard housing the boiler. Then the plasterer is coming in on Friday or Monday to finish the room.

Really happy with how it is coming along. Will need to get round to uploading the other pics on Imgur since Photobucket has nuked itself now.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Plasterer was in yesterday, boarded up, installed insulation and fitted the window board. Back today to Skim the walls but this is what it was left like yesterday:

fFXqnEu.jpg

Joiner back tomorrow to fit remaining doors downstairs, finish the doors in the garage and either cut skirting & arch for me to fit or if plaster is dried enough install this also.

Getting there!

Soldato
OP
Plastering all done and very happy with the work:

QAWBXh3.jpg
LRxEkLd.jpg

This is what it looks like when the garage door is open, just going to polyfill and emulsion this side, along with the breeze blocks:

Lg1evYl.jpg

I need to sort the storage solutions out for the 'garage' part but this is a very quick snap of everything that was essentially using up the whole garage space before:

FjvkSkM.jpg

Joiner here tomorrow, if we get chance I hope he can do the skirting and arch for me, but main tasks are to complete all doors. My budget is very quickly depleting so if worst comes to worse I will get the mitre saw out and do myself but whilst he is here I would prefer to include and get the most out of my day rate!!

Soldato
OP
OK so pretty much to the point where I will be decorating the room now, need to do get the filler out and sort a few things out on the original walls and also decorator chaulk around the skirting and arch but very happy with the result so far:

yx4GSyc.jpg
TfVMK2v.jpg
v6O58Mf.jpg

Next update will be of the painted room with a bit of luck!

Associate
We were going to do the same to half of our garage (the half that's left as we extended our kitchen into the garage).

Out of interest, how much has it cost you to do all of that? I think our quote was coming out at 7k albeit we would have the garage door taken away and bricked up.

Soldato
OP
Very nice, giving me the itch to do something similar to mine to make into a PC room.

Thanks, it's a great use of space. However I am way over budget. But in total I still think it has 'only' cost around £2k including the oak doors downstairs and fitting. Still need say £50 on paint and maybe £150 for carpet but for an extra usable room it makes a good bit of difference to our lifestyle and freeing up the bedroom upstairs.

Soldato
OP
We were going to do the same to half of our garage (the half that's left as we extended our kitchen into the garage).

Out of interest, how much has it cost you to do all of that? I think our quote was coming out at 7k albeit we would have the garage door taken away and bricked up.

Just posted as you did, i think all in £2k but this also included 6 oak doors. We didn't need to add much insulation as it was already there, just on the stud wall nor has it any heating in but its a warm house anyway and the pc will heat it up in winter!

Have you considered just leaving the garage door in place and just fit a stud wall behind?

Associate
Just posted as you did, i think all in £2k but this also included 6 oak doors. We didn't need to add much insulation as it was already there, just on the stud wall nor has it any heating in but its a warm house anyway and the pc will heat it up in winter!

Have you considered just leaving the garage door in place and just fit a stud wall behind?
That's a decent price. We had indeed, my cousin who is a plasterer said the same thing, stud wall, he will plaster then what to put on the floor to keep the warmth in was a question we had.
We had a quote of £750 to install a door on the side of the garage into the house. Plastering a few hundred max. Stud wall not sure on price but probably overall the same price as yourself.
Also you wouldn't need planning either then.

Don
That's a decent price. We had indeed, my cousin who is a plasterer said the same thing, stud wall, he will plaster then what to put on the floor to keep the warmth in was a question we had.
We had a quote of £750 to install a door on the side of the garage into the house. Plastering a few hundred max. Stud wall not sure on price but probably overall the same price as yourself.
Also you wouldn't need planning either then.

You don't need planning for a garage conversion anyway, it is covered by permitted development. You do need to cover building regs, but it's an easy process.

Associate
You don't need planning for a garage conversion anyway, it is covered by permitted development. You do need to cover building regs, but it's an easy process.
Are you sure? Brick wall instead of the garage door...surely it has to be in keeping with the rest of the brick work. Everyone down my road whose had a garage conversion has applied for planning permission

Don
Are you sure? Brick wall instead of the garage door...surely it has to be in keeping with the rest of the brick work. Everyone down my road whose had a garage conversion has applied for planning permission

Nope, PP is not required for a garage conversion as long as the footprint of the house doesn't change:

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/25/garage_conversion

Although individual houses might have covenants / restrictions in place, generally speaking PP is not required (even if you are bricking up the existing door).

I had my own garage converted a few years ago and we just had to get the building regs report completed.

Associate
Nope, PP is not required for a garage conversion as long as the footprint of the house doesn't change:

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/25/garage_conversion

Although individual houses might have covenants / restrictions in place, generally speaking PP is not required (even if you are bricking up the existing door).

I had my own garage converted a few years ago and we just had to get the building regs report completed.
Ok fair enough. Good news

Associate

I could do but then id be worried about the thermal capabilities as highlighted by a previous poster.

Soldato

A lot of new build estates have permitted development rights removed for garage conversions (As generally developers provide the absolute minimum car parking areas) or if you are in conservation area, most have removed their pd rights

Soldato
OP
OK so a bit more progress:

Sockets are all fitted and working
Laid the flooring
Holes and walls repaired
White wash has been applied to the walls

Need to fit a tiny bit of skirting and then just waiting for the decorator to paint next week!

jusCDCt.jpg
rgr3ePO.jpg
HcNLq8K.jpg

Back
Top Bottom