Liverpool Takeover Thread

we've won the champ league and fa cup in the last 5 years and also been to another chanps league final, so not quite the same as the Geordies;)

But you're still not the "massive" club you make out to be. Surely to be considered a big club, you have to at least win the domestic league in the last 5 or so years. You haven't won it in 20.

Portsmouth won an FA cup, doesn't change the fact they aren't a big club

Sorry how am I a troll? I'm stating facts. It annoys me that Liverpool supporters are up in arms claiming they are being held back by bad owners. Even before all this happened, you weren't really winning much. If I came in saying "I hope Liverpool rot blah blah", I'd be trolling, but discussing the state of the team and my opinion isn't trolling

This is what I mean, Newcastle fans were exactly the same. They thought they were a massive club, ask them why and they couldn't give you any other reason apart from their fanbase, but they'd just expect you to agree and that was that

Why are Liverpool this "massive" force in English football? I'm open to you telling me, I'm not being closed minded, just from a non-supporters view, I can't see it

We were runners up in the league just over a year ago. We may not have been champions for 20 years but we have been winning trophies in that time.

We consider ourselves a major force because we are. We had a bad season last year and it looks like this one could be worse but in the main we've been successful in the last 20 years.

What have Newcastle done in that time? We're not deluded like Newcastle fans we're aware of our failings but we also know how close we've been.

With respect, newcastle, had won absolutely **** all for 30-40 years, can you level the same accusation at liverpool? no? despite us not winning the league in 20 years, its taken the other 20 years to catch up, we have continued to win trophies over the years, so we are a massive club, and always will be.

Liverpool and United are the 2 of the biggest clubs in the british isles, and will always remain so.

This is what I mean, Newcastle fans were exactly the same. They thought they were a massive club, ask them why and they couldn't give you any other reason apart from their fanbase, but they'd just expect you to agree and that was that

Why are Liverpool this "massive" force in English football? I'm open to you telling me, I'm not being closed minded, just from a non-supporters view, I can't see it
I think the record on the pitch to an extent (even in the last decade there are few teams that have won more) and global appeal of the club speaks for itself. You only have to visit Far East Asia and the Middle East to know there are only two teams in English football worthy of being called massive and the other is Man U. The others frankly haven't got a look-in.

Since 2000:

FA Cup: 2001, 2006
League Cup: 2001, 2003
Champions League: 2005
UEFA Cup: 2001
Super Cup: 2001, 2005

Yes things have been bad since the new owners took over but that's why fans are so keen to get them out.

Last edited:
We were runners up in the league just over a year ago. We may not have been champions for 20 years but we have been winning trophies in that time.

We consider ourselves a major force because we are. We had a bad season last year and it looks like this one could be worse but in the main we've been successful in the last 20 years.

What have Newcastle done in that time? We're not deluded like Newcastle fans we're aware of our failings but we also know how close we've been.

Well thanks for replying properly unlike Tinders "Whatever you say"

I still wouldn't say that makes you one of the big players. You're quickly losing your status as part of the "Big Four" that's always touted about in the league, based on expectations.

And I don't even think it should go back as far as 20 years. Your Champions League wins make you an important part of European football history, they were more than 20 years ago for most of them, and Nottingham Forest won it a few times too, around the time you won the majority of your titles, so does that mean they could techincally claim they are a big club based on their history.

Yes you're a big club, but in the same way Man City are a big club, and Tottenham are a big club, both fighting for the league, and in the Champs League in Spurs case. You're not competing for either of those, so what makes you bigger than them in the current climate?

History is an important part of your club, I totally agree. And based on your history, you are massive :) but right now, and that is what your clubs value and what you shout about, but there is a point when history just seems like a desperate argument and like your clutching at straws

Just over 10 years ago they were runners up in the league, twice :p and then a 4th place. I'm kidding by the way :p

Last edited:
City and Spurs have only recently upped their game. Again compare their success against ours over the last 10 years or 5 years and we've won more than them. If you go by the last 12 months only then yes we've fallen behind them but that doesn't suddenly make them a major force. They haven't won any trophies or challenged for the title yet.

You can't discount our achievements and then decide that teams that have started to do well in the last 12 -18 months are suddenly bigger than us despite their history showing a distance lack of success over a similar period.

Chelsea only recently became a huge player too, in terms of overall history. Last 5 years or so.

Would you consider that same argument valid for them as well?

Bigger - yes because of our history - we've won way more than them overall.

More successful over the last 5 years - no, they've been far more successful than us over that time and you won't find any Liverpool fans disagree with that.

This is what I mean. To me, using history that far back is just a desperate argument. Football should be more about current form

If I was a billionaire buying into a football club. I'd not give a monkies about what you did 20+ years ago. I'd want to know what you're doing right now and where you're likely to be going.
Going back to my previous example, can you imagine if someone bought Nottingham Forest because of their history, thinking they've won the Champions League twice before, surely they can do it again?

I dont know really, Man Utd went 26 years without winning the league, but I never thought of them as anything but a big club even during that barren period.

Your argument is flawed. Our history should be ignored but why would anyone have bought Chelsea or City? By your own criteria they were not successful clubs why would you buy them?

I have to go to work now but you need to decide if you're truly open minded as you claim or your just here to belittle Liverpool.

Ask Alex Ferguson were he would most like to get a win each season, that should give you a hint Liverpool are a big club.

It's only fans used to Premier League and big money spending that are ignorant to the history of a club.

Plus, it is insane to even think the Liverpool squad at the minute is not capable of reaching the top 4. That squad that sent more players to the world cup than any other team, finished 2nd last year and has 3-4 of the top rated players in the world for their positions.

But you're still not the "massive" club you make out to be. Surely to be considered a big club, you have to at least win the domestic league in the last 5 or so years. You haven't won it in 20.

By your own argument there are only 2 clubs in England that can be considered "big" clubs?

The last team apart from Chelsea or Man U to win the league title was Arsenal back in the 2003/2004 season. Does that mean they are no longer a big club?

By your own argument there are only 2 clubs in England that can be considered "big" clubs?

The last team apart from Chelsea or Man U to win the league title was Arsenal back in the 2003/2004 season. Does that mean they are no longer a big club?

It would also mean that AC Milan arent a big club as they havent won their league in the last 5 years either.

Plus, it is insane to even think the Liverpool squad at the minute is not capable of reaching the top 4. That squad that sent more players to the world cup than any other team, finished 2nd last year and has 3-4 of the top rated players in the world for their positions.
Wouldn't they be in the champions league if they had finished second?

Ok maybe 5 years was a bit too harsh :p but how far do you go back?

Remember Blackburn have won it too :eek:

But in Arsenals defence, at least they mounting a challenge (for the most part of the season anyway ;)) every year

I would say it's quite realistic, given the form of the team and the state of the club. You yourself have to admit that a LOT has to change really, really quickly for Liverpool to get near the top 4 this season. It's not just going to happen.

I would say it's quite realistic, given the form of the team and the state of the club. You yourself have to admit that a LOT has to change really, really quickly for Liverpool to get near the top 4 this season. It's not just going to happen.

They need a montage.

Back
Top Bottom