London cyclists "too white, male and middle aged" and this is a problem.

Caporegime
@D.P. LOL. You've answered my questions with "There's probably no difference between BAME cyclists and any other cyclist", and yet you've come to the conclusion we should have discriminatory BAME cycling initiatives.

Because you've been taken in like the rest that we need to throw around buzzwords like "diversity" and they're magically relevant to all issues.

You know what this now means... discrimination. Special grants for BAME cyclists to get cheap bikes (etc). When really there should be discounts for anyone to get cheap bikes, because the objective should just be "encourage more cyclists", not "diversity".

This is a fake objective that just gives PC nut-jobs warm fuzzy feelings.

This is just complete nonsense.
What is this discriminatory initiative you are talking about?

Why keep only referring to BAME, why no mention of women, young males, lower income earners?

"Because you've been taken in like the rest that we need to throw around buzzwords like "diversity""
Coudln't be further from the truth, I even called put posters for mentioning diversity when the initiative has absolutely nothing to do with diversity.

You really are either trolling or have severe comprehension issues

Soldato
There was LOADS of those hire bikes placed around the area a while ago, they're almost all gone now.

I guess they were taken by budding women, young men, low earners and BAME cyclists as middle aged, white British men seem to be ok for bikes. Dread to think how much public money was spent (I know they're from private companies with *ahem* incentives)

Soldato
Does anyone else feel like there might be too many white male posters on this very forum? We need more BAME posters. Someone please call the relevent authorities/quango so they can investigate this sickening lack of inclusiveness.

I agree, just look at the avatars! Not a single black face, it's a 2018 outrage!

Caporegime
What even more sad/predictable is that yet again the minister managed to target middle-class, white men for ridicule ("the lyrcra brigade"), yet these are the very people who will subsidise with their tax £ the discriminatory, BAME-only initiatives that the minister wants to set up.

Middle-class white men really are the Devil, aren't they? Got to keep blaming them for all the problems in the world. If only they'd just die, right? Then we'd have so much more diversity.

Caporegime
This is just complete nonsense.
What is this discriminatory initiative you are talking about?

Why keep only referring to BAME, why no mention of women, young males, lower income earners?

"Because you've been taken in like the rest that we need to throw around buzzwords like "diversity""
Coudln't be further from the truth, I even called put posters for mentioning diversity when the initiative has absolutely nothing to do with diversity.

You really are either trolling or have severe comprehension issues
Mental gymnastics ahoy.

more must be done to promote diversity among a largely white, male and middle class biking community, the city’s walking and cycling commissioner has said.

"More must be done" = action
"to promote diversity" = targeted action (discriminatory)
"among a largely white, male and middle class" = not the recipients of govt assistance

Assisting one group and excluding another is discrimination.

Or are we going fully retard here and saying that so-called "positive discrimination" is not discrimination at all?

Permabanned
White, male and middle class is already well represented in the demographics. There is no need to try and promote those. The initiative is to try and encourage others to cycle.

Swivel eyed loon has never been a more appropriate term.

Caporegime
BAME and women. I just haven't bothered to type "and women" every time because I'm not a pedant.

But 100% not designed to help white, middle-class men, who they think are "over-represented" in the cycling population.

I.e. more white, middle-class cyclists would be *bad* in terms of their diversity targets.

Caporegime
Mental gymnastics ahoy.

"More must be done" = action
"to promote diversity" = targeted action (discriminatory)
That is not discrimination, I see yo really just don;t comprehend English at all. Where is the dscrimination takign place?

"among a largely white, male and middle class" = not the recipients of govt assistance

Assisting one group and excluding another is discrimination.
No its not, not least because all cyclists including white middle-aged male cyclists have seen government support in terms of cycle lanes and bicycles to hire, and none of them will be excluded from any improvements aimed at women or young men, or low income earners..

Or are we going fully retard here and saying that so-called "positive discrimination" is not discrimination at all?

There is only one retard here.

Caporegime
White, male and middle class is already well represented in the demographics. There is no need to try and promote those. The initiative is to try and encourage others to cycle.

Swivel eyed loon has never been a more appropriate term.
Again I refer you to my earlier quesiton.

Is it a bad thing if more white, middle-class men take up cycling? Regardless of whether BAME or women take up cycling.

Are diversity objectives more important?

Because if white men continue to take up cycling but BAME/women don't, the net effect is:

*more cyclists (good?)
*less "diversity" in their reporting (bad?)

So are we reaching the point here where an extra white, male cyclist is BAD unless 2+ BAME/women start cycling at the same time?

Caporegime
BAME and women. I just haven't bothered to type "and women" every time because I'm not a pedant.

But 100% not designed to help white, middle-class men, who they think are "over-represented" in the cycling population.

I.e. more white, middle-class cyclists would be *bad* in terms of their diversity targets.

Where is it stated the initiatives 100% not designed to help white middle-class men.

There are no diversity targets

Stop trolling, you just sound sop utterly pathetic.

Caporegime
No its not, not least because all cyclists including white middle-aged male cyclists have seen government support in terms of cycle lanes and bicycles to hire, and none of them will be excluded from any improvements aimed at women or young men, or low income earners..
Wow.

You heard it here first folks (and I'm quoting it for posterity).

Cycle lanes and bikes to hire represent govt support for middle-aged, white cyclists.

Obviously BAME/women don't benefit from these and thus need their own, extra special support.

The UK does not compute anymore.

Caporegime
Wow.

You heard it here first folks (and I'm quoting it for posterity).

Cycle lanes and bikes to hire represent govt support for middle-aged, white cyclists.

Obviously BAME/women don't benefit from these and thus need their own, extra special support.

The UK does not compute anymore.

Full on trolling now. Hopefully the mods see to your pathetic posts.

R F

R F

Associate
Cycling does have a representation problem. I can't count a single POC UK Olympic cyclist, can you? British cycling probably needs a complete top to bottom reform to rid it of institutional racism. Also why is it that cycling gets gigantic sums of investment as a Sport where as Afro-centric sports get nothing? Its obvious whats going on.

Caporegime
Where is it stated the initiatives 100% not designed to help white middle-class men.

There are no diversity targets

Stop trolling, you just sound sop utterly pathetic.
Not going to sink to your level. Just read the article, maybe?

Too few women and people from ethnic minority groups cycle in London and more must be done to promote diversity among a largely white, male and middle class biking community, the city’s walking and cycling commissioner has said.

Grand schemes, such as the Cycle Superhighway network of partially-segregated routes linking the suburbs with the centre, are too often perceived as simply a way of getting “middle-aged men cycling faster around the city”, Will Norman acknowledged.

He said he was considering setting diversity targets for London’s cycling population to ensure progress was achieved.

The mayor’s office has unveiled a number of projects it says will begin to address a lack of diversity, including cycle training courses, grants for community groups who do not typically cycle

By definition, any non-targeted action does not help them achieve their forced "diversity"goal.

So the grants will be for BAME/women's groups.

Soldato
Perhaps BAME people living in BAME neighborhoods are simply far more likely to have their cycles nicked by other BAME people while they are at home or out cycling.

I would imagine that this might be somewhat off putting for potential BAME cyclists and perhaps something that middle class white folks living in Middle class white neighborhoods are rather less likley to have to face.

Caporegime
Not good at handling opinions that disagree with your own, eh. Fairly typical of the militant left-wing posters here.

It has nothing to do with options.,
You are just straight up lying and making complete nonsense that has nothing to do with the article in the OP.

I can have a more intelligent debate with my daughter.

Back
Top Bottom