Looking for an MMO to play, suggestions?

Soldato
Thought I'd see if anyone can offer some advice.

I'm a long time off and on WoW player, BFA didn't interest me and while I'd be willing to give it a try in order to scratch my current itch I'm not willing to put down £39.99 for a year old expansion that requires a sub on top. I'd consider it at £10-15 but they can get stuffed if they think I'll fork out the price of a brand new game. I had a look to see if I could find a cheap key but the legitimate resellers don't have any in stock.

I've played most mainstream MMO's to some extent over the years. My main draw is end game content, I'm not that interested in the leveling process unfortunately. I tried FF14 a year or so ago but struggled to get into it while leveling.

I'm half tempted to just sub to classic, but I'm not sure if I could stomach leveling up.

Anyone know of something with decent end game and a healthy population that I might be unaware of? Should I just grit my teeth and power through the leveling portion of classic WoW? Is it worth pushing on with FF14, does it get better?

Thanks in advance.
Ashes of creation

Associate
Anyone on here play eso is it worth starting or will i struggle starting now with so many expansions out is it a pure cash grab p2w game

Good game, if you enjoy questing and ES lore. Shop is pay for convenience and to look good, not pay to win.

Many expansions, but if you get the the new expansion (not the 'Upgrade' version), it comes with all other expansions (called 'chapters'), but not the individual content pack DLCs (which are smaller dlc zones)

Game is very much 'play at your own pace'.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Anyone on here play eso is it worth starting or will i struggle starting now with so many expansions out is it a pure cash grab p2w game
I tried it and thought it was kinda boring.
FFXIV is the only mmo worth playing or eve-online if you want a second and third job.

guild wars 2 is prob still going strong, seemed no where near as good as GW1 though

Soldato
On the level part, as an FYI, when you start you are overpowered, battle levelling its called. As you increase in levels, will lose that effectively and find points you gain from levelling up become more important. So may be why initially can spam everything pretty easy. In general outside of few area (Craglorn) most the overland content is fairly easy.

But yeah defo try to join a guild. Most fun I had was in a solid guild, more so ESO one where it was banter while playing dungeons / trials etc. Lots of fun.

Really enjoyed playing with you and some the others from OCUK for that 6-8 months during lockdown. So many great moments. And so much Banter :)
I'm level 27 in ESO and still not sure about it. The dungeons are like micro dungeons for ADHD kids, just sprint and spam skills with no thought whatsoever. Literally no danger of dying. Annoyingly they seem to get me the best gear. The scaling level thing just seems like such a bad idea, you could stay in the same place non stop killing the same creatures over and over and actually level up. I've got level 1000+ people coming and killing my quest mobs and i can still loot them.

Is there really nothing like EQ / DAoC anymore? Is WoW the closest (I played this for years many moons ago)? I just want a traditional fantasy style MMO with proper MMO mechanics.

For ESO, you really need to be a in good guild or play with a few players that you like. And you missed what Radox was saying above. At level 27 you are still in the very early stages of the game. Overland mobs and public dungeons are all pretty easy.

When you level up a bit more and start doing the harder dungeons and content, things get a lot trickier. Spamming skills won't work. We had a pretty good group of players, still wiped out a lot on harder content. I would say level 40, for me, is when the game really started.

However, getting back to my first sentence. For ESO, and so many of the newer MMOs, you need to be a in a good guild with friends. I find that if you are playing solo and just joining with random players, it becomes a bit of a zerg, not enjoyable at all.

Associate
I've checked the website, its a bit low on information! Is this a traditional MMO or a button masher like ESO and Lost Ark?

Sort of

You can equip 2 weapon types at a time you have 3 special abilities

Left click attack hold left click for a heavy attack
Right click block or aim down sights if ranged

3 special ability that have a cool down

There's only a few servers which are nearly full and others are low population (only 2k players can be on a server at 1 time)

Pve is usual quests and 5 man dungeons also chest runs in high level areas

Pvp can run pvp quests of faction leaders to gain faction influence which are very repetitive to enable a war to take over a town which is a 50vs 50 to take over a fort

There's opr which is a 20v20 capture 3 forts to gain max points to win

3 vs 3 arena deathmatch

Also gathering and craftng

Any other questions you got ill try answer been playing off and on since release

Soldato
Really enjoyed playing with you and some the others from OCUK for that 6-8 months during lockdown. So many great moments. And so much Banter :)

For ESO, you really need to be a in good guild or play with a few players that you like. And you missed what Radox was saying above. At level 27 you are still in the very early stages of the game. Overland mobs and public dungeons are all pretty easy.

When you level up a bit more and start doing the harder dungeons and content, things get a lot trickier. Spamming skills won't work. We had a pretty good group of players, still wiped out a lot on harder content. I would say level 40, for me, is when the game really started.

However, getting back to my first sentence. For ESO, and so many of the newer MMOs, you need to be a in a good guild with friends. I find that if you are playing solo and just joining with random players, it becomes a bit of a zerg, not enjoyable at all.

Too right, good times in some of those arena battles :cry: :D

Soldato
I still have hope for new world. Good graphics. Pvp and no pay to win.

I think they've have blown their chance with NW. No-one is buying the game, so how can they make any money now? I can see them going FTP this year as that's the only option left to them - then they have to monetise it.

Dipping under the 20,000 mark now for peak players, while that's not bad as a raw number, it's still falling and given the numbers close to a million on launch. There's no buzz for it, no-one new is coming to the game, no-one is coming back - it's been in a death spiral for six months really.

Back
Top Bottom