• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Looks like my 1080Ti is holding up well..

Soldato
DDU

Clean installs is always recommended for installing any new hardware

Thanks will do.

I'm out of the loop on the correct process, should I DDU, then remove old card, put new card and install? Or do I need to run DDU with no card in the system and running off mobo display output?

Soldato
not in every game :) and definitely not max settings :>

No matter what gpu you buy you will never get max settings with high frames in every game. It’s simply not possible because there are games on the market that have poor optimisation and hardware can’t buteforce the junk that developers give us to play

Associate
Developers = quickest turnaround, cost vs profit
Graphics card manufacturers = Lets stop at this much power otherwise we'll not be able to charge as much for the next slight increase
Gamers = I want the best performance for the most cost effective price

Put all three together and it's a constant arms race. The prices of these things for the small amount of performance boost is now a laugh. When I started building PC's and getting the graphics cards, each generation kicked the last one in the nads, severely.
Nowadays it's all gone wrong. £300 price increase for 10% boost in a certain game is not good no matter what way you splice it.

I hope I know what I'm on about, I've had every 'good' graphics card from a dual 3dfx, ATI Rage etc.

Hopefully now, or soon, graphics cards will start to be reasonably priced whatever that means and huge jumps in technology. That will take about 3 years between releases but thats ok with me ;)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Should I do a DDU clean install for when I put the 1080Ti in or should it be ok?

DDU can do damage so don't use it if it is not needed.

1060 and 1080 Ti use the same drivers so you can probably just swap the cards and re boot a couple of times. If this does not work just re install the drivers again using the custom setting and clean install options.

I often swap NVidia cards (Pascal, Volta and Turing) and never use DDU.

The only time I find DDU useful is with AMD and some of their older drivers.

Soldato
DDU can do damage so don't use it if it is not needed.

1060 and 1080 Ti use the same drivers so you can probably just swap the cards and re boot a couple of times. If this does not work just re install the drivers again using the custom setting and clean install options.

I often swap NVidia cards (Pascal, Volta and Turing) and never use DDU.

The only time I find DDU useful is with AMD and some of their older drivers.

Thanks, I ended up just swapping and everything seemed to work fine.

The difference between these two cards is amazing!

Associate
With windows 10 swapping gpus never been a problem. Drivers always work.
As others said.. I would only use ddu if you change from Nvidia to amd gpu

bru

bru

Soldato
Yup DDU has its uses, but generally it isn't needed. Drivers from both sides are normally pretty good these days.

Soldato
Interesting

Looks like Turing optimisation is a thing - the 1080ti is clearly dropping off. Was 2080 FE competitor but now it’s down to 2070 Super competitor.

Soldato
All these comments about the 1080ti being a good buy as its lasting years, yet the 2080ti is a waste of money... what if the 2080ti lasts for years which it probably will unless you want 10-15% Ray tracing next gen, I would put money on the fact that in here in 2 years there will be a thread with an Identical title except "Looks like my 2080Ti is holding up well.." will be there

Permabanned
All these comments about the 1080ti being a good buy as its lasting years, yet the 2080ti is a waste of money... what if the 2080ti lasts for years which it probably will unless you want 10-15% Ray tracing next gen, I would put money on the fact that in here in 2 years there will be a thread with an Identical title except "Looks like my 2080Ti is holding up well.." will be there

It is possible that Nvidia **** up 7nm, I guess :rolleyes:

Soldato
It is possible that Nvidia **** up 7nm, I guess :rolleyes:

It would be a very few interesting years if Nvidia messed up 7nm, but... has Nvidia ever messed up a die shrink?

My own expectation is that if 7nm gets any less than 50% performance boost from RTX2000 series then that would a failure

Back
Top Bottom