• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Looks like my 1080Ti is holding up well..

Associate
I bought my 1080Ti new when they first released, I must admit to some buyers remorse at the time. But it’s turned out to be a solid purchase, I don’t anticipate wanting to upgrade for at least another year, perhaps more, and it’s driving 3440x1440.

Caporegime
I bought my 1080Ti new when they first released, I must admit to some buyers remorse at the time. But it’s turned out to be a solid purchase, I don’t anticipate wanting to upgrade for at least another year, perhaps more, and it’s driving 3440x1440.

Yeah it's a good card for that res, esp if you don't need Ultra settings (which personally I don't, which is good really as I run 5120x1440 :D)

Soldato
RT maybe here prematurely but the benefit is it would have given time to get the technology in to the hands of developers and get them working with it, so when we are ready hardware wise we should be in a much better place than we would have had the tech just been released with say the 3000 series cards. Developers would just be starting to work with the technology and we would have to wait for RT in games. At least it's been out for a year now.

TrM

TrM

Associate
RT maybe here prematurely but the benefit is it would have given time to get the technology in to the hands of developers and get them working with it, so when we are ready hardware wise we should be in a much better place than we would have had the tech just been released with say the 3000 series cards. Developers would just be starting to work with the technology and we would have to wait for RT in games. At least it's been out for a year now.

Rt is just nvidia again trying to push there own technology and drive up prices. Most pc games don’t warrant the extra development cost over there console counterparts to justify the extra expense. To me atm rtx stuff in certain games feel like a tech demo and a tech demo that can make a 2080ti perform worse then a 2060/5700 .

rt cores wasn’t ready for the main stream they are still not powerful enough on a 2080ti you turn it on and u get terrible FPS. Nvidia needed to do something to push a new gpu and then whack the price way up . The 2080 was no more powerful then a 1080ti really then a 2080ti is just a big die with more xxxx processors etc.

nvidia the next generation they will come out with with double down on rt cores and really try to push it nvidia have now have no option but to push it but eposrts title will take a while to adaopt it if they ever do and if I’m honest the only way rt will take off if the consoles can do it well put development behind all platform will make it cost effective if it stays pc only it will die like physx

Soldato
Rt is just nvidia again trying to push there own technology and drive up prices. Most pc games don’t warrant the extra development cost over there console counterparts to justify the extra expense. To me atm rtx stuff in certain games feel like a tech demo and a tech demo that can make a 2080ti perform worse then a 2060/5700 .

rt cores wasn’t ready for the main stream they are still not powerful enough on a 2080ti you turn it on and u get terrible FPS. Nvidia needed to do something to push a new gpu and then whack the price way up . The 2080 was no more powerful then a 1080ti really then a 2080ti is just a big die with more xxxx processors etc.

nvidia the next generation they will come out with with double down on rt cores and really try to push it nvidia have now have no option but to push it but eposrts title will take a while to adaopt it if they ever do and if I’m honest the only way rt will take off if the consoles can do it well put development behind all platform will make it cost effective if it stays pc only it will die like physx

AMD are going to support it and Microsoft have DXR so the technology is not going to die. This is just the beginning. More and more AAA titles are using it and will use it in the future.

Associate

My friend did exactly the same and also has no regrets. I love my monitor but after seeing his 1440 UW it's a very immersive experience, I just don't think I have the upgrade budget moving forward (older child starting school next month means I've just bought a second car) to afford hardware capable of high settings in games moving forward.

Man of Honour
Why is it breaking news that a high end GPU from 2017 is still holding up?

Can anybody post a link to a high end GPU that didn't hold up after 2 years?

My Titan V is nearly 2 years old.

It is as fast as a 2080 Ti for gaming.

It will demolish any Turing card for DP professional work.:D

NVidia are still selling them and have even put the price up since launch.:eek:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/titan/titan-v/

NVidia charging silly prices for a 2 year old card, whatever next.

Soldato

Same, I paid £700 for mine and sold it for I think £650 when the 2080Ti released.

If I could I’d have kept the 1080Ti as it drove everything at the time with relative ease. Although I always felt just another 20-30% and I’d have the perfect card. Which the 2080Ti was. I’ve had plenty of use out of the 2080Ti which I bought at launch.

It has driven some games at 4k 60hz where the 1080Ti struggled. While expensive definitely has been a fantastic card which I plan to keep until 3080Ti at least depending on performance, possibly even the generation after.

Soldato
Got a 1080ti coming tomorrow, upgrading from a GTX1060 so can't wait for the improvement in performance.

Playing games at 1440p@144hz so expecting quite a boost in performance.

Soldato
Same, I paid £700 for mine and sold it for I think £650 when the 2080Ti released.

If I could I’d have kept the 1080Ti as it drove everything at the time with relative ease. Although I always felt just another 20-30% and I’d have the perfect card. Which the 2080Ti was. I’ve had plenty of use out of the 2080Ti which I bought at launch.

It has driven some games at 4k 60hz where the 1080Ti struggled. While expensive definitely has been a fantastic card which I plan to keep until 3080Ti at least depending on performance, possibly even the generation after.

Some games are just poorly optimized

Playing rage 2 atm. 4K Ultra with a 2100mhz 2080ti the card is basically just holding 60fps, removing the frame cap it would be under 65fps.

The 1080ti would very much struggle in this game with these settings

Soldato
Glad I went for one last year at just under £600. Still a lot of money for a graphics card in my opinion. But no pockets in a shroud and who ever said this hobby of ours is a cheap one (certainly not me).

For 1440, especially with a decent G-sync monitor, it will do me for a while yet. Maybe if AMD can pull out a decent top end card for sensible money next year, I might be induced to switch sides (so to speak).

Soldato
I got one when I sold my Vega 64 because of the mining boom. The 1080Ti's were starting to rise in price at that time and I just managed to buy an Evga one for a few quid more than I sold the Vega 64 for. A week later the same 1080Ti card was £150 more expensive.

Permabanned
Some games are just poorly optimized

Playing rage 2 atm. 4K Ultra with a 2100mhz 2080ti the card is basically just holding 60fps, removing the frame cap it would be under 65fps.

The 1080ti would very much struggle in this game with these settings

That is a recent game to be fair most games in 2019 that are AAA have around 60fps at 4k. Maybe a few hit 80 but most for me will still be unplayable sadly that is how bad things are if you want Witcher 3 4k 120hz or 4k 144hz.

And people actually defend adding Raytracing to this which is not even fully RT or Pathtraced is crazy talk. We all got scammed it is called overselling. I do not want it when i get my 2080ti i might as well cover up the RTX bit. Now when you think i had to pay for that with no choice well that is a scam.

Soldato
Sure, but most AAA games look much better than Rage 2. Rage 2 uses relatively low resolution textures and doesn't look particularly good either.

Soldato
Rage 2 isn't optimised. They gave us the console build but added higher unoptimised settings so they look barely any different but destroy performance. For optimal experience you gotta run mostly console settings, and only turn up the bandwidth intensive ones which do actually look good but don't harm performance much (eg geometry). Very common scenario sadly, you can see the most egregious example of this in AC Odyssey with the clouds. Between medium & ultra there's not much visual difference, they just bump the resolution of them up sky-high and murder the framerate. It's just the sad state of console-primary gaming development.

See settings here at 11:58

Back
Top Bottom