Losing a beloved pet.

Caporegime
BuCC3Ko.jpeg
I had the awful experience of putting my 12 year old White German Shepherd Marley down yesterday.

My own vet had diagnosed bone cancer although that said, he was relatively healthy still albeit completely deaf and practically blind he was still wanting his treats and food but, unfortunately had completely lost the use of one of his front legs and was increasingly struggling to get up and around and really struggling to do his business quality of life ultimately so , after a lot of soul searching we took him on his final journey yesterday.

The vets we used, Animal Trust Shrewsbury, were fantastic.

We were guided into a side room dimly lit with nice photos on the walls, nothing like a vets surgery, just a quiet place for him to pass.

Marley, my boy, was sedated which was good as it then took them nearly an hour to find a suitable vein, clearly his blood pressure had dropped significantly, at one point we thought the sedative alone would send him on his way, he didn't feel a thing, I just had his head in my lap as he snored loudly.

The vet said this was a sign that he was considerably more poorly than we'd realised which was actually something of a comfort as I'd been struggling with the decision I'd made and was really unsure that I was doing the right thing, after the effective overdose of anaesthetic was applied, I literally felt him go in my arms, peaceful to the end.

I had done the right thing.

But, my God, the grief last night was unbelievable, I actually surprised myself just how upset I was, eventually phoning work at around 9pm to say I couldn't come in today, in fairness to them they were fantastic about it, wholeheartedly understood and felt I'd made the right decision.

There was no way I'd have been safe driving a truck today!

My saving grace is I had two White Shepherds, my boy is gone now but thankfully I still had my girl to come home to, although she is 11, they don't tend to live long into double figures so it's likely I'll have all this again far too soon from now. :(

Watching her hunting the house for him was sad to see, but understandable.

So there we have it, a big part of my life gone, not forgotten, whilst having pets is wonderful, it's so very hard to see them go.

Rest in peace my beloved boy.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your tough decision and experience through the awful task.

I do respect your words of clarity and that you know it was for the best and the right thing to do. Its never easy and truthfully, it will come back and give you some food for thought another day, but you did the right thing for your boy, thats what you need to go back to each time. I am sure you gave Marley nothing but love and care through sedation to the end and that is what he will remember.
Respect for the life you gave Marley.

I remember being there when my one of my old Staffies got put down, Buster.
Had bowel cancer and had been treating him and keeping him going, he had a lot of problems going to the toilet and the vet always said, the moment he dont want to eat, its time to have the chat.
That night when my mum put his food down and he looked at it, looked at us and just walked off, was traumatic.

We knew the decision we had to make, it was not easy. Being there though with Buster, mum had broke her leg so couldn't get on the floor and Buster couldn't be lifted on to a table due to the pain.
I remember sitting on the floor and Buster coming in with a canula in, I could tell her knew what was going to happen and he was accepting of it. Laid next to mum and received some strokes, then came and sat with me, licked me across the face and sort of agreed it was his time. The event was so quick and peaceful, I wish us humans could receive the same.

That happened in 2011, still remember it like it was yesterday.
Reading your story, writing out mine, am currently now sat in a meeting room with tears down my face, but they are family and this is the impacts of losing a family member.

Last edited:
Incredibly saddening to read but I know from your reaction that he was well loved and had a good life, you will always remember him and it is so good that you were with him until the end.

Someone said to me that a pet may only be in your life for a relatively short while but you are in their whole life, that kind of hit me quite hard when I thought about it.

You gave that gorgeous dog a family to love and he became part of yours, it's right and fitting to grieve as you would for a family member.

Last edited:
Our pets having such short lives makes the time we have with them feel so important and impactful. You gave him an amazing life and you’ll have amazing memories forever.

You did the right thing, despite the loss and pain it causes.

I had to put my cat down 10 years ago, refuse to get another as I can't deal with the pain of when they have to go to animal heaven.

It's a horrible thing to go through mate, but you made the right call and did it in the best way possible.

RIP Marley

I remember properly crying in the shower the night my parents phoned to tell me the dog I had grown up around for about 12 years before I moved out had died. Even at work days later I would have moments too.

Sorry for your loss :(

So sorry to read this, I have lost 4 and the last two were both Cancer.

My mother had some type of extreme break down and ended up in hospital after the last one was put to sleep at 6 years old.

My Sister has lost about half a dozen in recent years. The last one choked to death on a Doggy treat that she left with the dog.

My Brothers puppy Alsatian was poisoned to death by a neighbor because it was barking too much.

We had to put one of ours to sleep a few months ago, had her 14 years but there wasn't much else we could do and felt it better to put her to sleep than see her suffer the last few months.

I'm so sorry to read this. I know exactly how you feel. We had to have our dog, Bella, put down in 2017. She was 14, and had developed a cancerous growth in her lungs. The vet came out to us at the stables where she spent a lot of time with my girlfriend. We took her for a last walk and a play in the fields, then I sat on the ground and held her while the vet gave her an injection, and she died peacefully in my arms. I've never cried so hard.

My condolence, mate. Dogs are amazing, but the fact their lives are so short is truly unfair given the love and companionship they give you. All they end up doing is breaking your heart. RIP Marley :(

Last edited:
Awful, I'm sorry
We don't have pets, but when my mother's cats (both over 20) were on their way out on both occasions I had to come over to ferry them to the vets as she wasn't well enough to
One of them in particular, was just chilled out the entire time purring away and snuggling up on me even though I was more or less a stranger, right till the injection was done then it stopped
I am a misurable/emotionally damaged bugger who does not cry easy but that broke me, didn't want to talk to anybody the rest of the day (surprised even myself)
Can't imagine how horrible it must had been in your situation when they are part of your everyday but you have to know you were just doing right by them and not allowing your friend to suffer

Last edited:
Sorry for your loss.

It's something that hit me very hard. After 17 years I had to do the kindest thing to my old lab and I've never experienced anything like it. I watched my dad pass away and that was tough, but this was so different. I couldn't control my grief at all for the 30 or so mins after he drifted off, I was just gushing. I'm normally un-phased, I'd had another 9 dogs in my life (all rescues and projects) but Benson was my right hand man, went everywhere with me. The vets ended up offering me a lift home I was that bad. But as soon as I left the vets and walked home I was fine. I'd done the right thing and he'd had a long amazing life, I couldn't give him any more, and the grief was replaced with pride. About a week later I got the standard card from the vet practice, but then a second one from the vet herself with a more personal note. My reaction must have left an impression.

Your girl will feel the loss too, make sure she's spoilt and doesn't get too lonely.

You have my absolute sympathy.

My boy is 3 and after a very rocky start when he was a puppy with a lot of issues he has now bonded unbelievably over this last year with my wife and I, he is like a different dog with us.

It's actually scary how much I love him now and as we don't have any children it already frightens me and plays on my mid that that one day he will be gone. I'm welling up just reading people's experiences above. Life is so bittersweet, which is why I didn't want children, I couldn't force someone to have to go through it.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear your loss.

The childhood cat was a 18.5years old siamese I still think about. She set a bar that I measure pets by.
Lost a koi a year or so ago, possibly about 15 years old and was always the lead/friendly and seems approach if there was an issue in the pond. Odd but I miss her too - sort of got me through some difficult times as I came through work & personal issues.

Back
Top Bottom