Losing a beloved pet.

Mate my heart pours , 4 times we've done this and although it feels like your hearts been ripped out you did the most humain thing you could have - and he'll be glad you did . Wish we could do this with humans

Anyhow I got through this my remembering thd good times , the cheeky looks when he wanted something, the wags of tails when you come home or go for a walk - memories that in time will make you grin from ear to ear .

Rest well .

I'm so sorry to hear this. We recently had to make the same decision for one of our cats we adopted 16 years ago. Explaining it to our 12 and 9 year old as to why we were doing it. One of the hardest most stressful weeks ever.

They give us so much. I would never not wanted to have given her a home and have her in our lives. It was a joy to care for her all those years.

Last edited:
It's a horrible thing to go through and the decision is heart wrenching even when you know it is the right thing. But he had a good life and was loved. Went through the pain in December with my 11 year Labrador and I miss him every day.

Part of pet ownership I'm afraid.

If you bring them into the house, you need to be prepared to take them out too.

I had to say goodbye to my beloved cat before Covid. I still haven't been able to get another.

The heartbreak is too much.

I hope each day that passes helps you to deal with your sad loss.

Hussman

Last edited:
N5FP8pg.jpeg
Our beloved boy is back home...

LB7lNii.jpeg

Last edited:
We made the decision to put our hamster down a couple years ago and I was gutted (I'm not taking the micky). I can't even begin to imagine what losing a bigger more interactive pet after 11 years would be like. You did the right thing as the poor lad's quality of life was deteriorating.
:(

Grief is the cost you pay for Love, and I can tell all of you suffering it were almost certainly fantastic pet owners who gave their animals an amazing life, including the end of it.

I am sure whilst the cost is awful, the love and experience was worth it, and you can be proud of yourselves.

The cost will get better with time and become more bearable, leaving the good memories untainted.

Never had a thread on this forum bring me to tears before! Sorry for your loss mate. Utterly terrified of the day I have to do the same for my GSD. Special special dogs.

I lost my 13 year old Boston terrier 2 months ago. Both my wife & i are still heartbroken. The house just feels so empty without her. We've decided we can't go through it again,so decided not to get another dog. I'm sure it will get better with time,but still difficult at the minute

Rob

I had one of my old dogs (14.5yrs) PTS a couple of weeks ago. She had a number of health issues and her QOL had got to the point it was the right decision to make.

But even knowing it was the right thing to do didn’t make it any easier. Having lost my first dog unexpectedly in the night at just aged 8 it was very different. I’m not sure which was worse… just very different. She went off to sleep in my arms with my partner and daughter around. It’s still very raw and been very difficult to deal with. I was more emotionally content when my Granddad died - he was old and had lung cancer - he had a long life and it was his time to rest. I wanted my dog to be there forever.

I know you can apply the same logic to an old dog with health issues, but I can’t get the same logic to apply. There’s just something about dogs (and cats for cat people) which is different.

The even worse bit, is we have 5 other dogs and one is 15.5 and one is a 13.5 year old collie…. I’m dreading the fact this is going to be repeated soon, although the one I just lost was a “special” girl to me.

so sorry to hear this we have 2 welsh collies both 14 one blind with diabetes and the other deaf and recently had a stroke sisters. we absolutly dread having to make the decision they both seem active just needing more attention (which we give) just dont want to think of doing it .

Thursday - had our toy poodle put to sleep.
We rescued her when she was 11, now sleeping peacefully at the age of 18.
7 years of pleasure, even though she was totally blind, with glaucoma and mental trauma.

Started with her biting through thick leather gauntlets whenever you got near her, to asking for lovies all the time

Took her to a pet cemetary on Friday, waited around until she ready for collection and returned with her joining our previous six dogs.

It get harder every time - we have been taking old souls from one of our local charities for years. Our first two were Yorkies, and lasted to 17 (cancer) and 20 (old age)

Sorry - still raw!

We will see how long we last before we get the next one...

Thursday - had our toy poodle put to sleep.
We rescued her when she was 11, now sleeping peacefully at the age of 18.
7 years of pleasure, even though she was totally blind, with glaucoma and mental trauma.

Started with her biting through thick leather gauntlets whenever you got near her, to asking for lovies all the time

Took her to a pet cemetary on Friday, waited around until she ready for collection and returned with her joining our previous six dogs.

It get harder every time - we have been taking old souls from one of our local charities for years. Our first two were Yorkies, and lasted to 17 (cancer) and 20 (old age)

Sorry - still raw!

We will see how long we last before we get the next one...
Sorry to hear about your loss. Massive kudos to you for taking in elderly dogs, they are so often over looked in dogs homes. I'm guilty of it myself, I just can't face the chance of heartbreak within a relatively smaller timescale. My previous dog Tyke (a Patterdale Terrier) lived to 18 years and 10 months, died Jan 23rd this year.

The last year of his life he could hardly walk, had dementia, and was almost blind. I took him out everyday in a doggy stroller, he loved it, his nose would be twitching like mad at all the smells etc. Looking after him through very old age although quite hard work at times and expensive was very rewarding, I grew closer to him. When I'm older and might die before a dog I'm rehoming if the dog is young, I will definitely consider rehoming an elderly dog.

Again, my heartfelt thanks and appreciation for all the support and messages, I've read each and every message and am touched by the outpouring and shared experiences.

One thing it's taught me that the feeling I have isn't going away any time soon, I still feel so very empty and lost without Marley, out of my two he was the affectionate softy, Roo, my girl, is very much Mrs Guard dog, always has been!

She comes for a fuss as and when she wants one whereas Marley just wanted attention all the time!

I'm pleased to say at least she's eating now although still wanders the house looking for him and she still looks past me when I come home as if to see if he's behind me, it's quite something to see, she clearly knows her companion is absent.

Quite absurd in a way for a 6'3" 19 stone 53 year old trucker to still be randomly bursting into tears over him, but, I am.

Anyway, again guys, my heartfelt thanks to you all. :)

Quite absurd in a way for a 6'3" 19 stone 53 year old trucker to still be randomly bursting into tears over him, but, I am.
Not absurd mate, I've found myself welling up just looking at cat rescue pictures or just thinking about my cat and it's been nearly six months.

I'm not what you'd call a waif that would get blown away in a gentle breeze either :)

Emotions just show you cared, ain't nothing wrong with that. It'd be more absurd not to feel the loss of a family member, which is what they are.

Back
Top Bottom